Monday, January 5, 2015

A Year of Angels

Happy New Year to everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas with family, friends, and lots of Face Time that helped a little bit in erasing the miles. Our DS was home with us and actually counted my Santas, including collectible Santas, cookie jar Santas, salt and pepper Santas, and the Santa quilts that I have around the house. He counted 93 Santas, so when I say I love Christmas, I guess this is the proof!

During the holidays, I let my computer time slide so I could enjoy each and every day of Christmas, but when the tree came down earlier today, I knew it would be a good day to  reconnect!

I made a few quilty items as Christmas gifts so thought I would share a few of them with you. One of my good friends is an angel collector, so last February I googled "angel quilts" and found a pattern called Redwork Angels by Beth Ritter. Throughout the year, I worked on the 12 redwork angels, designed for each month of the year. In early December, I managed to sew the blocks together, machine quilt it, and then gave it to my friend just in time for Christmas.


I changed the pattern just a tad and quilted it with stitch in the ditch and some cross hatch quilting with my Pfaff. Here are a few close-ups...



I think the December angel is my favorite...






I cross hatched up to each design, without going through the angels, which managed to hold everything fairly flat as I didn't want the angels to puff out.




The quilt finished at about 36" x 44" and is now hanging in my friend's house. I had just as much happiness in making this quilt and giving it to my friend as she says she felt when she received it. I love making a quilt for someone special! 

I made a few smaller items to send out West, including a little Minnie pouch. I picked up the fabric last summer and decided to quilt it and make it into a little bag for my DD, a perfect size for any teacher to use to hold pens and markers. I filled it with a huge assortment of new Sharpies so I know it will be put to good use! 






I also sent DD and DSIL a table topper for their new round table which they got just before the holidays.  


I used some Christmas/Winter charms I had on hand, machine quilted it with a  loop de loop design, added a few snowflakes, and made half a dozen cloth napkins to coordinate.



Over the holidays, Woodworker Hubby helped me make an upstairs sewing room in  one of the spare rooms. That way, I can FMQ my Snowman quilt in my sewing corner in the basement, but still work on some other quilty projects upstairs with my Janome and Featherweight. 

WH gifted me, after a little hint, with a Sewezi portable table which I absolutely adore!  

With the table,  we chose to purchase an additional insert so I can use the table with both my Pfaff and my Janome. I have already found it to be such a perfect height that my back does not get sore like it does in my sewing corner. The table is small enough to fit under the window so I can watch the world go by while I sew and is light and portable to take to a friend's, a quilt class,  or a retreat.

WH has also created a customized cutting table for me, adapted cupboards for storage, and added even more open shelving to the closet so I can store so much more.  Since I took the picture, he has raised the cutting table seven inches higher, a much better height for me.

So as you can imagine, I am having lots of fun in my two sewing rooms. Hope you are enjoying the New Year as much as I am!

It's a great day for quilting!

24 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you, Lesley! With all the changes in your sewing arrangement, I can see it WILL be! You husband is so supportive and very handy to have around! I just love the angel quilt and know it must hang in a place of honor at your friend's house. Stay warm, stay safe!! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely Angel quilt! i'm sure plenty of love was stitched into it throughout the year. And your new sewing room is amazing. I sure would like a cutting table, but I just don't have enough room. Have fun sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your angel quilt is just beautiful. Your friend wouldn't be able to help but feel the love you stitched into it. You stitch love into everything you stitch. It's so wonderful that you have some new work areas making your more comfortable doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Angel Quilt is so pretty and how nice of you to gift it to your friend. I love it. The little Minnie Pouch is cute and the round table topper turned out great too. What nice gifts you made. I think it is so wonderful when hubby's help to make us happy. Enjoy all your new sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful Redwork quilt, I love how you quilted it. Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful gifts and the angel quilt is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley, your angel quilt is absolutely adorable!! What a special gift for your special friend!

    What a treat that your sewing spaces were enhanced!! Happy Stitching!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The angel quilt is very sweet. I like that you cross-hatched up to, but not through the angels.
    Wonderful gifts you made for family--and that WH gave to you! Sounds like you are well set up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful projects. The Angels are gorgeous but so is everything else. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your projects! Your blogposts are always worth reading...thank you! I am curious where you get your labels if you do not mind sharing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All looks great Lesley, glad you are having fun!
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful hubby helping sort out a new area! I have a sewezi and absolutely love it - glad to hear you're enjoying yours! (Do you know they were invented just down the road from where I live!) I like how you've quilted your angels - nice not to see the stitching running through your work, a very lovely finish. I love the gifts you made too - bet they are well loved! Happy sewing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year Lesley. Your projects are awesome and the Angel Quilt is gorgeous. A lot of loving work went into that I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darling gifts.....my mom who passed away in 2000 was an angel collector.......hundreds and hundreds of angels.....
    Most of them are in boxes and I have not gone through them all yet....maybe this is the year.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post Lesley , nice to catch up with all that you have been busy with over the holidays . Congrats on the new sewing room and new machine , yeah for you !! Cute little tabel topper and napkins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot to say how much I love the angel quilt , just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your angel quilt for your friend is beautiful. Such a nice gift for a special person. So glad you got a Sewezi table. I bought one several years ago, and agree they are so nice and just the right height for comfortable sewing. Have fun in your new sewing room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Christmas sounds lovely and the New Years looks to be very productive as well. Love the idea of all the extras in another sewing space. What a great set up you have now. Well done hubby!
    The angel quilt is beautiful. That is such a lovely gift. Great embroideries and I especially like your cross hatching. You are so neat!!
    Enjoy all your new sewing space!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your angels, and I am sure your friend was over the moon thrilled when you gave it to her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The angel quilt is just fabulous and I'm sure she will treasure it. Congrats on the new space too. I use a gifted old dresser in the closet for all my stash and it really holds a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wonderful gifts....I love the quilting on the quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's great to have space for more sewing options! Having the sewing machine by the window is an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your angel quilt is wonderful! Counting the Santas sounds like something my son would do, too, and I hope they never start counting the quilts and wall hangings. LOL
    You'll love your SewEzi table! I have one and it's great. I don't use it a lot, but it's perfect for retreats. I should get it out and set up two sewing stations like you've done. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  24. The angel quilt turned out so beautiful...love it! Making a new sewing space sounds like a real treat. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!