Tuesday, January 13, 2015

The Ladies and Designer Car Bags

Downton Abbey is one of my all time favorite TV shows. 


I have followed it from the beginning and was so enamored with it, that when Andover Fabrics produced its first collection of Downton Abbey fabric over a year ago, I immediately ordered a quilt kit featuring the Ladies of Downton Abbey fabrics from the Fat Quarter Shop. ( I don't believe the kit is still available, but they have more recent fabrics from the Downton Abbey line.)


Even before the fabric had arrived in quilt shops across the land, my pre-order was in and I was anxiously awaiting its arrival.  Fast forward over a year, and this luscious fabric that I so adored was still sitting in a tote in my sewing corner. With the Christmas holidays a distant memory, and the beginning of Season Five of Downton Abbey last week, the fabrics have now come to life in my upstairs sewing room.  

Although a pattern called Ladies of Downton Abbey arrived with the fabrics, I liked it, but I didn't love it.


However,  I am in love with a free pattern that I found online designed by Wendy Sheppard for RJR Fabrics called Towne Square. The pattern features fabric designed by Lynette Anderson but I see quite a similarity in the colour families of both collections so I think it will work.


I can just picture the Ladies Mary, Edith, and Sybil strolling along in the Towne Square, of course being chaperoned by Countess Cora and the Dowager Countess of Grantham, all wearing their elegant dresses of blues, greens, lavenders, and burgundies, with Lady Sybil's dress always being a little bit more modern!

I really like this pattern because it is scrappy, uses a variety of quilt blocks including the Ohio Star, the Shoo Fly, and the Square in a Square and is a good size at 77" x 77".

You'll see that the centre of the quilt is a great mix of fabrics, with sashing that features scrappy cornerstones. The fabric includes tone on tones, small prints, large prints, bold prints, and pale prints, perfect for a scrappy quilt.


I have a good start on three Ohio  Stars.


I love how a larger block is then created by adding 3 1/2" strips to the top and sides of the star...


or is the bottom and sides?



The three at a glance...


I have lots left to do, but am enjoying making this quilt so much. 

Of course, I did finish a few smaller projects last week. I made some nifty little fabric trash bags for the cars. Each has a stiff liner inside so you can put a plastic grocery bag or a large zip lock bag inside and fold over the liner to hold in place. 


I used some coffee themed fabric for two of the bags. After all, don't we usually need to find a place for our fill our empty coffee cups? 



I made the smaller middle bag with iron-on vinyl to make the fabric waterproof. It turned out OK, but it lost the look of a brand new project...kind of wrinkled by the time I finished it. I kept this one for me and the others have new homes in Alberta and New Brunswick. The trash bags hang from the gearshift in the car on the passenger side. 

My DD had pinned the bag on Pinterest and I was able to find the tutorial with the instructions HERE. Designer Stephanie Hughes also sells her finished Designer Car Bags in her Etsy shop, Green Goose, right HERE, if you'd rather buy than make. Thanks, Stephanie, for a great tutorial! 

As always, it is a great day for quilting!






26 comments:

  1. great pattern for the fabric. I am a big DA fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never watched DA, but I think your pattern choice shows of the fabrics to greater advantage.
    Love the little garbage bags for the car. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge DA fan...love the show!! I love BOTH of these patterns...tough choice...but seeing your Quilt's middle and some surrounding stars this quilt is destined for STARDOM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "Towne Square" pattern looks like it was specifically designed for DA fabrics. Great eye for matching the two, Lesley! This is going to be a fantastic quilt, and I'm already picturing it in some fabric groups I have. Thanks for the link. I've only watched DA for the past year or so, but I'm thoroughly hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love DA and have got my daughters, and mom and dad watching it too. I can't wait to see what you make with the fabric. Cute trash bags.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pattern you chose to work with the DA fabrics - much nice showcase for the fabrics and prettier design. And you have a lovely start to it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - I love the pattern you chose for your DA fabric. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Ladies of Towne Square looks like it will be a most excellent project! I'm a big Downton Abbey fan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pattern for your Downtown Abbey fabrics!! In my opinion, every quilt should have at least one star!!!

    Great trash bags!!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, I just LOVE that pattern! I rarely make quilts from patterns, but I think I might have to make an exception for that one. I love it ... and yours is getting off to a fabulous start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a perfect pattern for your lovely fabrics , I must admit to not watching Downton Abbey but I should as my grandmother who came from England was a Downton ;-) The little bags are a great idea for the car !! Have fun stitching .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never watched the show, but the fabrics look so pretty. Can hardly wait to see the whole quilt finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seen the show either, but that quilt is going to be stunning. I love the garbage bag idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those fabrics are wonderful I LOVE the show and am so excited to have the new season running. Wendy does such a beautiful job designing patterns and that is going to make a stunning finish in those fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is going to be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Big Downton Abey Fan here. Sweet Paulette sent me over to see your new Quilt. Thanks for sharing the Love of PBS Masterpiece! I have quite a collection of the fabrics to play with too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such lovely fabrics! I agree, the Towne Square pattern is much better and really compliments your fabric. The trash bags for the car are really cute na useful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a big DA fan too. I like your choice of quilt to feature the fabrics. Cute little trash bags for the car.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That has turned out to be an excellent pattern design for your gorgeous fabrics. Love the start you have made. Very exciting.
    We are waiting for the DA season to start here. Not sure when?
    Great idea for the trash bags for the car. Thanks for the link to the pattern. Great fabrics in those too.
    Looks like you have plenty to keep you happy during Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The DA fabric is just gorgeous and the pattern you chose is perfect. It will be a fabulous quilt! Love your trash bags too. I need a few of those!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love DA too! And I have made and sold quite a few DA mug rugs made with the castle fabric in the middle. The quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The series has finished here. Would you like me to tell you what happens?

    ReplyDelete
  23. First the fabrics are lovely. And second the quilt you selected is so much more lively and fun. And now that I see you fabrics made into blocks, it's perfection!! I love, love, love it. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful job girlfriend. I love that show too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the quilt and those trash bags are perfect! Will have to look into those. Hugs and happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the colours in the Downton range of fabric. Have never watched the show, but I'm enjoying seeing the quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!