Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Ladies are Calling

Of course I am talking about the Downton Abbey ladies. If you read my post HERE, you'll know I have been inundated with glorious fabrics designed to celebrate the ladies of my favorite TV series, Downton Abbey. I continue to build this quilt, enjoying each and every step.

I finished all the Ohio Star blocks I needed and just love the colours that pop from them. Some of my blocks show strong contrast, while others are softer and more muted, just what I was looking for. After all, the Downton Ladies show both strong wills and shyness and timidity depending upon the situation and the character. 


This quilt builds from the centre "Towne Square", so once the Ohio Star blocks were framed on two sides, I started sewing them into rows for the tops and sides.


Luckily, we had a sunny afternoon last week so I could "fly" the top complete with the Ohio Star borders. During that same windy day, my clothesline broke, so until it is fixed, I will use my deck wall as background for my quilts.


Can you tell it was yet another windy day in the Strait area?


The next step is to sew three narrow borders to the top and then begin the outer pieced border that is made of alternating shoo fly and square in a square blocks. I ran out of fabric for my borders so am waiting for the fabric to arrive before I can finish the borders and make the blocks for the outer border. 

When I take a break from machine sewing, I often head to my quilting chair in the living room to watch a movie and do a little handwork. Today is a snow day so I plan to spend the afternoon thinking of summer while I finish sewing the binding onto Summer Leaf, my orange peel lap quilt that arrived from the LAQ before Christmas. 


This quilt is indeed a scrappy quilt, as you can see, constructed from a multitude of bright fabrics I used for the petals, or leaves, and the combination of a variety of white tone on tone  fabrics I used for the setting blocks and border. 

I love the quilting design Ange used. I'm using a green daisy print for the binding, bringing everything together like a flower garden! The quilt isn't very big, a good sized cuddle quilt, or maybe a wall hanging, measuring at 48" x 60". 


Thanks for coming by on a snowy wintry day in Cape Breton! It's a great day for quilting!

19 comments:

  1. The "Ladies" are looking great! Stay warm and enjoy your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wouldn't be a Lesley post if there wasn't a quilt flying in the breeze! It is coming along so sweetly and some hand work on a snow day sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday I'll have to watch that show....grin. Great blocks and love your leaf quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What incredible progress you have made! I just love it, Lesley. Can't wait to see it completed. Happy snow day! It's a sunny 78 degrees F here today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the storm going to hit you? Its sunny and plus 8 here in SK! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your DA quilt is looking very nice--what a lovely color grouping. You seem to have made quick progress with it.
    Nice bright quilt to stitch on when it is cold out. It is a very happy quilt! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Downton Abbey quilt is very different, isn't it? I like the star arrangement. I love scrappy quilts so your colorful leaves look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Downton looks awesome so far! Love those colors.

    The peels are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty. The Downton is looking fabulous. Like the orange peel too. It is so bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm probably the only person in the world who hasn't seen an episode of Downton Abbey but that doesn't mean that I don't LOVE the fabrics you used for your quit. It's going to be a keeper for sure!

    Your petal quilt is definitely a welcome sight on this cold, snowy day. I know what I'll be dreaming about...in technicolor too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work on your Downton quilt. The fabrics are working beautifully. So pleased you could catch a photo outside.
    And a finish is near with the binding going on to your orange peel quilt. Perfect way to spend a snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Beautiful quilt representing the ladies :) the Summer Leaf quilt is cute too. Perfect way to use up some scraps. It was windy on the other side of the province too! I didn't get out to take any pictures. I'd be scared my quilt would fly away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh these are beautiful projects. Downtown Abbey has such beautiful color combinations, and I just adore the scrappy leaves on the Summer Leaf quilt. Marvelous quilts, and both closer to finish than to beginning.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Working on a quilt ... no better way to spend a snowy day, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful quilts but that Summer Leaf speaks to loudly to me, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Downtown Abbey looks wonderful , I am loving those fabrics and Colors . The orange peel is just what a person needs on a day like today when the cold winds are blowing it is so refreshing in its summer colours ! Great jobs as always :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your ladies are looking mighty nice. I love the colors in that quilt. The Summer Leaf cuddle quilt is perfect for relaxing on a chaise lounge and taking a little nap. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty and more pretty and I agree with Sharon. It wouldn't be a Lesley post without the quilt flying in the breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Downton Abbey AND your "ladies" quilt. It's shaping up to be a beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!