Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Fernhill Finish

Another UFO has been finished! Fernhill, a quilt designed by Lynette Anderson, is now complete. 


The little quilt, 28" square, features Lynette's Hollyhock Cottage fabrics, lots of embroidery, and some adorable Fernhill hand painted buttons. How about this little blue bird?


Or this little brown squirrel scurrying along the grass?


More buttons like a dragonfly, a toadstool, and some features like this chocolate bunny...


and a lot of tiny yoyo flowers.


I decided to keep the machine quilting pretty simple because there is so much going on in this little wall hanging. Stitch in the ditch seemed to keep it all together.


I saw this pattern several years ago at a fabulous quilt shop in Calgary that I was visiting with my blog friend Sue of Chickadee's Country Cottage Crafts.  Unfortunately, the quilt shop has since closed down...very sad face here. 

Anyway, Sue and I filled our baskets with treasures that day and had a wonderful afternoon. I noticed the Fernfill 9-month BOM on display in the shop and thought it was adorable because it combined piecing and embroidery, a favorite combination of mine. I added Fernhill to my basket, thinking the pattern was $12 as seen on the sticker on the package. Well, it was $12, alright, but it was $12 for each of the 9 patterns included in the package. You see, each packet not only included the pattern, but also included a hand painted button for each month all the way from Australia. I can see the reason for the pricing, but the BOM package was way over my budget that day. I didn't notice the actual pricing until after I had paid with my credit card. So rather than return it once I noticed the price, I gulped loudly, and the rest is history. Now that it is a finish, I am so glad the pattern came home with me that day! 

If you would like to make Fernhill, and don't mind receiving a gently used pattern in the mail (without the buttons!), just let me know in the comments before Saturday, February 7 by 4:00 pm EST.  I'll draw a name after the deadline and send it along to one of you, with a few Hollyhock scraps to play with!  

It's a great day for quilting!



22 comments:

  1. It's adorable and I wouldn't mind making it. Thanks for putting my name in the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a lovely job...very sweet! It was meant to be...now aren't you glad you bit the bullet! I am 'thinking' about a kit that I saw at a QS too...over my price range but it too called my name! I think I'm going to go back! And I too had a sad face when I heard about a THAT quilt shop in Calgary closing.! They had a Norma Whaley quilt hanging when I was there...Star Garden and it was really reasonable so I snapped it up...it is still in a UFO bin but someday...!! LOVED that shop...yes, I feel your pain!! But we both have great keepsake quilts to remind of THAT shop!!
    Have a great day!!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is darling and the buttons really make the quilt! I can imagine your shock when you found out it was that expensive, but it is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley, I'm stunned at the cuteness of the quilt and the amount of work you had to do to complete it. Wow! You should stand up and take a bow. It's awesome on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lesley,
    it is so beautiful, what a lovely wallhanging. Very nicely done. Yes, I am interested in the used pattern, it is such a lovely design.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is so cute. I agree the combination of embroidery, and applique is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just lovely and you know the buttons would draw me. Lots of fun little things to look at. (please don't put me in the draw)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How adorable Lesley!!!! Those buttons definitely add something to your lovely stitching :*) Congratulations on finishing up such a sweet treasure! Although I'd love to think I'd have time to make one of my own someday, I realize that's probably a pipe dream, so don't put my name in the hat - I'd rather someone win the pattern who will have the time to jump right in and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just adorable Lesley , a lovely finish for a gorgeous quilt . Those buttons are just too cute . You should be extra proud of your work !

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful little quilt! Those buttons are so adorable!!! I would love to win this adorable pattern and go on a hunt for just the right buttons for it!! Thank you for your generosity!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt. All your work is wonderful. I would love to win

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to have that cute pattern! I have collected buttons, over the years, and I am sure I could find some that would work. Thank you for offering the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a cute quilt--and those buttons are incredible! But you paid a hefty price for all the cuteness, didn't you? : )
    Sad when favorite shops close, even after all the contributions we make to keep them up and running. I know I do my share locally. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this! You already know which block is my favorite. ;) Great job girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a cute wall quilt. You did a lovely job on the embroidery and those buttons do add a lot. Nice work. I like embroidery too, but it is not necessary to add my name to the hat. I am concentrating on all my UFOs this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, pick me, please! I love it!!! I'd replace the buttons with wool applique, for sure!

    Gorgeous job, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How sweet is that! Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute, cute and cute! Love the tree with all the leaves of different coloured thread. The buttons add such a lovely touch. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It really turned out adorable but please leave me out of the running too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable! I would love the opportunity to make this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a wonderful finish. Mine is still a UFO but maybe this will spur me on. Beautiful work with all the stitching and I do agree with keeping the quilting simple.
    This really is lovely.
    (Obviously leave me out of the draw.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful - I love her patterns. Leave me out of this one though....too many UFOs waiting on me. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!