Tuesday, February 10, 2015

It Takes a Village

A Quilted Village that is! I have pulled out another UFO and have been working on a few houses from the Quilted Village kit I purchased years ago as a BOM from Shabby Fabrics. You have seen a few houses over the years and I still have a long way to go, but here are a few pics of my progress to date.


I loved putting together the centre "greene" with those quarter square triangles surrounded by the sidewalk. I have a funny feeling I might have to fudge my blocks a tad to make everything fit.

A lot of the blocks have had their challenges for me. The quilt can be made using the applique instructions or the paper-piecing method. The fabrics arrived each month cut in pieces for each block. Unfortunately, my paper-piecing method uses much larger pieces than intended, so I ran out of some fabrics and had to remake the blocks accordingly with my own scraps. Thank goodness for my stash! 


I adore the row with the church, and just think how nice it will look when the wrinkles are pressed out!


As you can see, some of the blocks are embellished with embroidery. The kit actually included materials to do ribbon embroidery, but I wasn't ready to tackle that, so substituted with good old fashioned embroidery floss.


This is the block that I am working on. Still have to add the apples!


Congrats to Dolores, the winner of my gently used Fernhill pattern and some Hollyhock Cottage fabrics. It is nice to know the pattern will be going to a good home. Thanks to all of you for your lovely comments! 

I thought I'd also give you an update on The Ladies of Downton Abbey quilt. I managed to finish sewing the three narrow borders on and am ready to make the shoo fly blocks and the square in a square blocks for the next pieced border. I must have wiggled the camera a little...sorry for the fuzzy picture.


I worked on the quilt during the last three Mondays, when I have headed to the Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre and joined some local quilters for a morning sew-in. We bring along our sewing machines and set up in the arts and crafts room. There is plenty of space, excellent lighting and a big floor so I was able to lay out the quilt top to take the picture. It is so enjoyable to sew along with quilt friends, sharing our projects and our quilting stories, and finishing it off with lunch at a local eatery afterwards. I love Mondays!

It's a great day for quilting!


28 comments:

  1. You are creating such a lovely village! I biggie sized the photos so I could see each block... very complex BOM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little houses are coming along - a labor of love. The 'Ladies' quilt is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Village Square is magnificent...it's a quilt that is on my TO DO List! LOVE it! I agree paper piecing does take way more fabric but with those buildings I can't imagine doing them any other way! This quilt is stunning!
    Your Downton Abbey quilt is another winning too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your village. I was able to buy a few of those patterns years ago but I don't have the complete set. I think I only have maybe half of them. You are doing a beautiful job with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your village is gorgeous, love the common area. Your Downton quilt is fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That village is going to be fabulous. The Downton quilt is so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all of your houses and your Downton Abbey quilt is just wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. The village is really looking great. Our summer house is a saltbox so I really like that block the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I purchased a gently used copy of Quilted Village and have been collecting a box of fabric to make it with for awhile. You are tempting me to get off my UFO track!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see what you are working on Lesley, your village quilt is going to be lovely...all the little detail will really make it shine. Love your Downton Abbey quilt too - and how you have 'adapted' it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh - I love your village so far, Leslie! I think your embroidery is perfect and gives the quilt your own, personal touch! Your Downton quilt is exquisite, too!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The village is SO cute!! Love it's progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your village is coming along beautifully and I love the Ladies quilt , very pretty indeed , well done as usual !

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the Quilted Village - can't wait to see more of it! The Ladies are looking gorgeous as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Village blocks are beautiful, and I love the Downton ladies quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet village under construction here!
    And your DA quilt is looking lovely. Such a nice color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your little village, really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your village is growing beautifully. Great variety of buildings in each of the blocks.The embroidery is a lovely touch.
    Downton is growing very nicely, too. Your sew in seems like a delightful group.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your embroidery really sets your Village Quilt apart; it's a beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's the prettiest Downton Abbey quilt I've seen yet Lesley! I love it!!! And your houses quilt is simply adorable :*) Projects like that are so fussy and fiddly - I find I have to work on them a little at a time and then put them away for a little bit. You'll get it done all in good time and it will do you proud!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a treat to see this quilt in the making. The work will be worth it because it already looks like a beauty. I like your admitting you have to tinker a bit to get things to fit. I thought I was the only one who had to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your Quilted Village quilt! I made that as a model whan I had the store, but never got it quilted. You have inspired me to get it out and get going on that. I want to hand quilt it (if I still remember how!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look good so far. I love the church block too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Lesley!! They are both beautiful. You just blow me away with all you accomplish. I see a lot of work going into that piecing and it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Lesley,
    both projects you are working on are just beautiful. Great progress.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the village quilt - I've seen it in pictures and at one quilt show at least. The DA quilt is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've looked longingly at this pattern over the years - so nice to see someone working on it. Looks like it is going to be a beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!