Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Little Letters and Country Charmer

Woodworker Hubby and I are going to be grandparents for the first time! On Christmas Eve, DD and SIL shared the news with us that they are going to have a baby in June! We are so thrilled for them and so happy that we will be joining the grandparents club!
So what is a quilter to do? Make a baby quilt, of course...


Little Letters, the quilt designed and featured as a free pattern by the Temecula Quilting Company, had been popping up all over blogland since the quiltalong began in the Fall. I had wistfully followed it's growth, letter by letter, wishing I had a little one to make it for. When the news of future grandbaby arrived, I knew this would be the first quilt...a Little Letters car seat/stroller quilt. After all, it is never too early to start to read, right? 

The Little Letters were so much fun to make, that I made two sets at once. For grandbaby, I wanted to make a quilt that would work for a boy or a girl so chose some bright prints bordered with mellow yellow and a luscious teal! Since Little Letters has been mailed out, we have found out that the baby is a boy. The second quilt for GBB (grand baby boy) is now in the making!

You know how much I love cross hatching, so this design was a given for the machine quilting.


I have been seeing minky fabric used on baby quilts, so I ordered some white minky from Fabric.com. It is so soft and seems like the perfect backing for this baby cuddle quilt.


I had read some tips about working with Minky and found it was as easy as any other fabric to quilt with. After I cut the piece I needed for the backing, I put it in the dryer to air fluff and remove the little fuzzies that you get when you cut it. The finished quilt has since been washed and came out just great!


The quilt is about 35" x 39", a perfect size to use in the car seat, stroller, or as a play mat. I added ties to the quilt so it could be tied to the stroller or car seat if needed, adding an extra tie to the top as well. 

I learned about this method last year when I made Clover and Violet's Sophie's Car Seat quilt for a gift. 

Little Letters is now in its new home on the other side of the country, but I have a second one here to keep me company until it finds its new owners. 


For this quilt, I changed one of the borders to white and used a teal flannel backing.


I want to send a huge congratulations to our Country Charmer queen, Lynn Wilder, who blogs at Sew'n Wild Oaks. She is the featured quilter this week on The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. There is a membership fee for The Quilt Show. You can pay for a one month trial subscription or pay for one year. 


I watched the video yesterday and was so impressed with Lynn's Taking the Fear out of Math session. She is a natural teacher and was so comfortable sharing her tips and techniques. As for her organization skills, wow...out of the park! 

Lynn also included a segment on Country Charmer and my heart soared. It is such a beautiful quilt and one of my all-time favorites. When we were making our quilts during the 2013 QAL, we were so fortunate to have Lynn helping us out all along the way. When my quilt top was finished, Lynn offered to quilt it for me. It travelled all the way to California and back, with huge thanks going to Lynn for her expertise and generosity. You might remember she put together a collage for me when she finished quilting it.


If you haven't made this quilt yet, it might be time to start. You can find the pattern HERELynn also has all kinds of helpful tips on her Country Charmer button HERE

My heart soared yet again while I was watching the video yesterday when she actually mentioned me by name on the show- Lesley, the Cuddle Quilter from Nova Scotia. How cool is that! Well, Lesley, The Cuddle Quilter from Nova Scotia, has been buried in snow for the last few days, watching blizzards rage outside from the comfort of my cosy sewing room. Today we might have to venture out as the cupboards are bare!

Until next time, it's a great day for quilting!


32 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your upcoming grandmahood! lol the quilt is wonderful. I love how you snuck some little quilt blocks amongst the letters. and i am a great fan of crosshatching too. I think it is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilts Lesley. Congratulations on your Grandbaby news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on becoming a Grandma! What a lucky baby. Your quilts are adorable. I'm going to become a Great Aunt in August, and may have to consider this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Being a grandparent is the best! Sweet quilt and the baby and mommy and daddy will adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh happy day for you and husband Lesley! Being a grandparent is the best title you can have. Thank you so much for making Country Charmer and organizing the QAL. Your quilt was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on impending grandparenthood - it's the best! Love that baby quilt you've made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH YEAH!!!! Congratulations! You are going to be so blessed this year. I love your little letter quilts. The Minky makes such a great backing for it too.

    That Country Charmer is gorgeous. I always love seeing pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So exciting that you have a grandbaby coming--hard to be so far away.
    Two delightful little quilts. I have enjoyed seeing them around blogland.
    Having never worked with Minky, your tips are appreciated. Sure I'll face it someday. : )
    Your Country Charmer quilt is such a beauty--I think seeing it on other blogs is what brought me to you, and I am glad it did. Congrats on the "15 minutes of fame", though I am sure it won't be the only time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Those little letter quilts are so precious ... and what a great idea of add the ties. I'd never thought of that.

    I ALWAYS enjoy seeing your Country Charmer ... like Janet, seeing it on someone else's blog is what brought me here ... which makes it a win-win for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No doubt you will be the Cuddliest Grammie EVER!!! Congratulations! The Letter Quilts are adorable, and so happy! And Congratulation also because you are now world famous! I bet there are lots of people searching you out to read more about the Country Charmer QAL! Maybe all of us Grammies should band together and make Grammie Squares when Lynn has the pattern ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my they both are just precious!! I love the dimple minky - it is great cuddle texture. The cross hatch quilting is super and love the idea of the ties. I heard the shout out - wow - another blogger I know who has grown into fame. I can't wait for Lynn's Grammie Squares to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delightful alphabet quilt Lesley! I've always steered clear of using minky but you have taken the fear out of it with this post - might try it myself sometime now! Congrats on the new baby - being a grandma is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilts are beautiful. Congratulations on the news of your new grandchild. Country Charmer is beautiful as well, and Lynn's designs so elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh the baby quilt is just precious. Perfect for that car seat or stroller . I watched Lynn's video this morning ad thought it was amazing and was thrilled for you that she mentioned your QAl for the Counry charmer , yeah ! It is a beautiful quilt .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lesley!!! OMG you are so lucky!!! A new baby going to be in the house!!!!! What a blessing!!! I'm so envious and have been waiting to join the grandparent's club. My friend had a crib in her home that she used for her grands and now her daughter is finished so my friend passed the crib on to me. It is now in my storage area...in waiting! Everybody thinks I'm crazy! LOL You made the sweetest little quilt...and I imagine many more to come! Wonderful news for Lynn too and your Country Charmer just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your whole life is going to change!! Now it'll be things for grandchildren, then doll clothes if it's a girl, and things for boys! You will have to go visit them more often. It's an Amazing life to me. My grandchildren give me strength and give me purpose in life! Congratulations on your future! I adore my grandchildren. In fact I'm headed to TEXAS tomorrow to see two of them!! Love your quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Lesley, Congrats on the new soon to be member of your family. I love your letter quilts. I watched Lynn Wilder's show on The Quilt Show and was thrilled when she mentioned you and your blog and from Nova Scotia. Very proud of you and making Nova Scotia quilters look so good ha ha. Enjoy your day and thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Lesley, what exciting news! You must be over the moon, with happiness.
    A new baby can never have to many quilts made by a loving grandmother. ;-> Toni Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Little Letters Quilt! I have never tried using minky, thank you for all the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your exciting news. I am so pleased for you.
    Both the letter quilts you have made are adorable and the the cross hatching is perfect.
    I can see loads of cuddles in your future!!!
    And that is lovely news about the video, too!
    So much excitement all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Lesley,
    what a perfect time to make the little letter quilt. Very nice quilt. Congratulations to the good news.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats! I'm sure you must be over the moon for the exciting news! Great quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such adorable quilts! I know you are thrilled about the anticipated addition to the family! Stay warm - spring must be on the way, right?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Lesley...congrats! You will love being a grandma...well you already are...just look at this quilt!! Love your corsshatch quilting and especially that minky back!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on your impending Grandma status. I forsee many quilts in this little gaffer's future and his first one couldn't be more perfect! Great job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How wonderful! You must be sooooo excited. The car seat quilt is just the cutest. So cool that you and your CC are famous! It is an awesome quilt and you are an awesome quilter! Making NS proud!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Being a grandma is just the best thing ever...congratulations! I love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations and how exciting! It seems like just yesterday I was telling my parents that they were finally going to be grandparents... how time flies. That is going to be a lucky little one. LOVE the baby quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, Lesley, The Cuddle Quilter from Nova Scotia, congratulations to you both! How very exciting! Your lives will change forever. You chose the perfect quilt to make for the new grandbaby. They both came out adorable. I hope the snow and cold is all gone by the time I make my way home!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. How exciting! Congratulations on the news you will soon be a grandma! Your sweet letters baby quilts will be put to good use soon enough. Both are lovely - beautiful fabric choices and perfect quilting. Congrats for the mention on the Country Charmer. That quilt is GORGEOUS! Take care and stay warm. Winter should be over by June!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Whoo hoo for you. I know how you have wished for a grandbaby. He will certainly have plenty of grandma's quilts to keep him snuggly warm.

    ReplyDelete
  32. HI Lesley, how exciting and congratulations and best wishes for the addition to the family. I know just how excited you must be feeling :-) The quilt/s are adorable - great thinking with the ties. I really enjoyed seeing Lynn on The Quilt Show- yes Country Charmer is stlll on my wish list to make. I did a little jump for joy when your name was mentioned - how fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!