Thursday, February 26, 2015

Snowman Santa and the Ladies

I found the perfect combination of my love for Santa with the popularity of snowmen- a "Snowman Santa" featured in a Moda Bunny Hill Winter Wonderland panel.  I purchased the panel awhile ago and put it aside until I could figure out how to use it. With this wintry weather, it seemed like the time to shovel it out from my stash, make some decisions, and turn it into a flimsy!


I cut up the panel into the square blocks, and at first, wasn't even going to use the longer strips. But how could I not use the Snowman Santa? I had an extra few courthouse step blocks and they fit wonderfully well with the longer panels. Here is a close up of the Snowman Santa that is flying over the top of the quilt...


I had a Moda honeybun that was gathering dust so I used the cream and red strips from it along with strips from my stash to make the courthouse steps blocks. 


The quilt measures 38" x 52", a perfect size for a cuddle quilt,featuring snowmen celebrating winter and Christmas. I'll be sure to have this one done for next Christmas!


I have been working diligently with my Downton Abbey ladies too! The next step is to make a pieced border using both shoofly and square in a square blocks. I swear I have every quilt-related gadget or gizmo ever invented, so rummaged around and pulled out my Marin and Colusa Stitching Lines papers to make my shoofly blocks. It did help speed up the process and it was much easier to sew a straight line!


Of course, a person can sew faster if a person does a whole bunch at a time...

I haven't finished all the blocks, but I definitely made a start!


It's a great day for quilting!

20 comments:

  1. I love how you used a panel. It will certainly bring a smile and keep you warm next Christmas. Thanks for showing us your update on the Downton Abbey quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of those stitching papers but I'm thinking I need to order me a package or four. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley, once again, you blow me away with your clever ingenuity and talent! This quilt is sure to become someone's most favorite to 'cuddle up' with on a long, cold winter's evening! The courthouse steps blocks add exactly the dimension the panels called for. I am really and truly looking forward to seeing your Downton Abbey top once you add these delicious looking blocks along the border. Simply put, I'm extremely jealous of all you have been accomplishing this winter! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the courthouse setting with such cute snowmen - a wonderful snowy day project. I had not heard of those papers either - that is going to be a most gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice layout on the Snowman and Santa quilt. Love the reds and creams. This will make for a wonderful Christmas Time Quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Santa Snowmen quilt is wonderful. I love those fabrics in Downton. It is going to be a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a delightful cuddle quilt of snowman Santas! Worked out so very well and you just can't help smiling when you look at it.
    I thought I had seen it all, but I have never seen those papers you used to stitch your diagonal lines. Definitely speeds up the job, I see. Who comes up with these things? : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love how your Christmas quilt came out ! SO CUTE !

    I really like those papers you are using . Great idea !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so very cute! Love how you just whipped that up adding along the way! I hadn't seen those stitching papers before either! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Snowmen quilt is gorgeous and I can see why you just had to include the Santa! Your blocks using the stitching lines look perfectly pieced! I hadn't heard of those before either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Lesley,
    wonderful combination with the Snowman Santa and Log Cabin blocks, great idea and lovely making.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute Snowman Santa quilt. I like your idea with the courthouse steps block as your alternate. Are you going to add a border? That would frame the quilt nicely and make it a tad bigger too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a sweet way to use the panel , the resulting quilt is gorgeous . Great progress on the ladies quilt as well , you have been super busy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great quilt. Love the colors, and the way you used the panel. Can't wait to see your borders for your Downton quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your Snowman Santa quilt! Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet I have a dozen panels I've bought over the years Lesley - this is a great way to use one, so thank you for the idea! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. The snowman panel quilt looks lovely. Very neat idea for using a panel! Your Dowton Abbey blocks look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think your layout and colors were the perfect choice for that panel. I can't wait to see it all quilted up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great quilt! Your Santa Snowmen are delightful.
    I had looked at this panel and did not buy it at the time because i could not decide how to use it. I love the result you came up with. The colours and the blocks work so well together.
    Great work with the Downton blocks, too. Lots happening!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!