Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Grandmother's Choice Fills the Room

We live in a small house that seemed plenty big while raising our two children. But now, with the children living away, the house seems to have shrunk, or is it only when I try to lay out a quilt on the floor in the livingroom?


This is my Grandmother's Choice-Votes for Women quilt, with 50 different blocks, scrappy triple sashing and 9-patches, just waiting for me to sew the final seam to pull it all together. If you want to find out more about it, or make your own, just click HERE.

The quilt is so huge, I sewed the two sides together as two separate units. There was no arranging of blocks on a display wall. It was just pull a block, sew a block, trying to keep similar colours a little separated, but not always. The same with the sashing and 9-patches-keep it scrappy, but try to have different fabrics side by side. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but I didn't notice 'till all was sewn together and I'm fine with it. No biggie! 


When I was sewing my very last row together, I found I had a couple of blocks that just didn't work for me, so I made a few more blocks using Barbrara Brachman's free patterns from another QAL. The blocks are all 8" finished and they seemed to fit right in!



I finished sewing everything together, trimmed the sides, and now am deciding on some borders. Right now, the quilt is 80" x 95", but when finished, it may be about 93" x 108", plenty big for any bed. I'll probably use a narrow beige/cream border, followed by a wider red border to tie into the sashing and 9-patches.

For the rest of today, I'll watch the snow continue to blow. We received 50 cm. of snow on Sunday and today we are expecting another 25-30. Will winter ever end? Here is my quilting chair waiting for me to sit in it, and you can see the deck behind where I usually lay out my quilts. No clothesline pictures coming for a long time!


It's a great day for quilting!

26 comments:

  1. Your quilt looks just beautiful Lesley , and yes it will be a while before we see our deck too , my goodness where will we put this snow today :-) Enjoy the day stitching .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lesley,
    your top looks so beautiful, really nice color and fabric choices and I love the sashing inbetween.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful big quilt! We are having snow and winds here too - perfect to stay in and stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing quilt. I think of you when we hear that Nova Scotia is getting more snow. We can only hope that the storm the weather man said is due for the weekend for you does not happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is great. Our snow finally melted, hope yours is not far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is going to look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful scrap creation, Lesley! Must feel good to have pulled it all together. I am impressed with your brave approach to putting the blocks together. Wish I could gather the courage to try that sometime. It looks great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spectacular quilt Lesley! Sampler quilts seem like they would take a lot of time since there is no assembly line sewing to do - glad it turned out so nicely for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Grandma's Choice. It's just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful way to watch the snow.

    Love your quilt...50 blocks, that is quite an achievement

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt is so wonderful Lesley - I think scrappy quilts will always be my favorites! I love where your chair is - mine is in a similar place, near the patio doors. Unlike you we had a spring day yesterday and the temp got up to 85! However, today we're 55 and rain has come off and on all day. I'll be happy when spring comes to stay. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to resort to tacking fleece up to the "junk room" wall for my farmer's wife and I still ended up blocks turned wonky. Your quilt is lovely. We are warming up finally hopefully it will head your way soon. Our snow is almost all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this quilt. The blocks are so interesting and varied. You did a beautiful version.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh, a beautiful big quilt; I would have stressed about the layout but it looks great! Wow what a lot of snow - hope you don't need to go anywhere?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt is beautiful. I sure don't envy you all that snow. I hope we are finished with the fluffy white stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is looking wonderful. That is a huge size. No wonder it doesn't fit on the floor!
    I laughed at your comment about how small the house seems. We moved into a bigger house well after our children left home and we have easily filled it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your quilt and every time you show your quilts, I wonder where you get all your fabrics at as they are so beautiful. You are so generous to share your work with us and your sites where we can make these quilts too. After shoveling, I am just too tired out to quilt today, well...maybe later lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It has been quite the year for snow. Hopefully soon you will be able to take some pictures outdoors again. Your quilt is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these blocks and the color choices!! But Oh My, all that snow!!! We had 8 inches and you would have thought the world had come to an end. First big snow over 3 inches in 15 yrs. Isn't that funny?
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Lesley, those blocks look amazing! All those little pieces sewn together definitely created a gorgeous quilt...love it! I wore shorts yesterday with a short sleeved shirt. No snow like that for us!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wowza, Lesley! I am so very amazed. Just look at all that work! I'll definitely be visiting you this summer so I can see that beauty up close and personal!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I too love this quilt Lesley! The fabrics are so warm! I need to stop bragging about my sunny weather....Can't believe you are still getting that much snow. Atleast it means cozy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, my!! It's amazing... I love the colors of the fabrics and all those different blocks... You are my hero... I hope you show us soon the quilt finished!
    Big hugs from sunny Spain, hehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fabulous heirloom quilt Lesley! Great, great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!