Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Grandmother's Choice Triple Sashing

A few years back I participated in Barbara Brachman's Grandmother's Choice-Votes for Women BOW. You can find out about it HERE and start your own quilt anytime! I used primarily reproduction fabrics from my stash, with a random mix of reds, blues, golds, greens, blacks, etc.  Actually, I guess I used just about every colour out there! 



Every block is different. Some blocks were easy as pie, some blocks were a bit challenging, and some blocks I changed to suit my taste. The result is a stack of blocks that have been waiting for me to start setting into a quilt.



Barbara suggested a setting for the quilt HERE and provided yardage and ideas. I took my time to decide on the setting since there were lots of wonderful ideas coming from Barbara and the other quilters that participated. Barbara showed many of the finished quilts and quilt tops on her blog, plus she set up a Flickr group HERE where quilters could post their pictures. I kept being drawn to the idea of using a scrappy triple sashing with the blocks set on point. I found a picture of a similar quilt and counted 49 nine-patch units and 117 triple sashing units, so guess what I have been doing lately?


I decided to go with reds/burgundies and creams. I bought a couple of dollar store baskets to hold the strips and off I went.



I have all the 9-patch units finished and have made 90 of the sashing units...definitely in the home stretch! 

In between all this, I have been sewing a few secret projects and just yesterday, during our sew day at the Civic Centre, I finished all the blocks I need for the pieced borders for my Downton Ladies quilt. We have yet another blizzard outside, so it's another perfect day to sew!

It's a great day for quilting!

16 comments:

  1. That's going to be a really pretty quilt. I still have to start quilting both of my versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors you are using. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that style of sashing and cornerstones. It will look great with the CW blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be beautiful. I had a look at the finished sampler and it's great. What a project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looking lovely. The colours are gorgeous.
    Hope you are staying warm inside, well away from the blizzard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That quilt is going to be fabulous - I can't wait to see it finished. I love that style of sashing ... I've used it for borders but not sashing. I need to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see this one finished. Civil War fabrics with a red and cream sashing? A marriage made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be wonderful , just love your fabric choices . Another storm outside so another great day to stitch away .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colors. I am looking forward to seeing the finished quilt too.
    We woke up to another 10 cm of snow here near Ottawa. Enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That will be fabulous. I can't wait to see your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the fabrics you have chosen for this quilt! It is going to be beautiful. All those 9 patches and sashing units take time, but I think they will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always, you have chosen the perfect fabrics and there's no doubt this will work up to be a beauty. You have been hard at work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is going to be beautiful Lesley - I totally approve of your fabric choices!! I look forward to seeing them laid out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt is going to be fabulous. I can't wait to see it with the triple sashing and 9 patches.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colours you're using for your sashing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!