Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Downton Abbey Ladies are Done!

Yes, in between snow storms and chilly, sunny days, my sewing room has been my little haven. I have finally finished sewing those Downton Abbey fabrics together in the Towne Square, all sewn together. The pieced borders came together quickly once I finished making the shoofly and square in a square blocks.  


I arranged them around the quilt and posed the "ladies" on my ladder since my clothesline is still broken and the deck is filled with snow.


Seeing the quilt "almost finished" put me in high gear, and within a day or two, I had added the remaining two borders. Although the quilt was supposed to finish at 76" square, I added some extra inches so it now finishes at 90" square.


I arranged it on the snow bank on the back deck but wasn't able to spread it all out, so took a few different pictures of it folded in various ways so you could see some of the fabrics and blocks.



Finally, I took a few pics inside on the bed to give you an idea of the size...


and a few more closeups just because...



This has really been a huge project for me and I am so excited to have finished it up. Sometime this week, we will travel to the LAQ to leave it in her capable hands as this quilt is much too large for me to even think about quilting by myself.

Now my sewing room is covered in blocks for another large quilt-in-the-making, Grandmother's Choice. I have started sewing the rows together...only 45 more blocks to go with all those triple sashed units and nine patches too...what was I thinking?


After this quilt is finished, it is time for some smaller projects. My sewing room and my house are just too small for these huge quilts!

It's a great day for quilting!


23 comments:

  1. Your 'Ladies' are just lovely! What a great pattern to showcase these gorgeous fabrics. I just did a quilt with triple sashing and know just how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow oh wow, they're both fabulous quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt looks wod nerdul Lesley , congrats on such a fabulous finish :-) good luck on finishing your next one !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! The Ladies turned out just lovely - thank you so much for sharing it! I'm envious that you are working on finish GMC - mine is still quite a way down on The List. The triple sashing and nine patches will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love how that turned out. Love your border choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Downton Ladies look lovely; you obviously love this project and it shows. I love the differences in the prints and fabric colors. Grandmother's Choice is already looking super. I like the darker colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....they both look fantastic. (That is a lot of snow too.) I love the colors in Downton.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It may be cold and snowy outdoors, but your sewing space is smokin' hot, Lesley! Poor hubby probably had to move upstairs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The color palette of your Downton quilt is so soothing--lovely job!
    Grandmother's Choice looks really good, too. I love triple sashing with 9-patch cornerstones, and the blocks look great, from what I can see. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabrics in Downton Abbey are lovely - as the others say, a gorgeous palette. Love your snow photos :-) The work will be worth it with your Grandmother's Choice quilt - hopefully you have some more snow days so you cn concentrate on it a bit longer?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm gobsmacked, my friend! Downton Abbey is beyond gorgeous and your Grandmother's Choice is certainly worth the effort that you're putting into it. I love the sashing. It's one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great quilt. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Downton Abby quilt is beautiful. Well done and what a relief, right? I also love your current one too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I got to tell you how much I enjoy your letters and your quilts are absolutely beautiful! The Downton Abby quilt is so different, the fabric colors, etc. Just wonderful and the second one is going to be as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! Makes a person want to crawl under and cuddle. Fabrics and your putting them together is beyond. Glad you are enjoying your retirement so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful arrangement, wonderful color and fabric combinations.
    Greetings Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Downton quilt is looking stunning. There is so much work in the borders and they really do make it special. I agree about it being too big to quilt at home. That's why there are wonderful long arm quilters!! Can't wait to see it quilted.
    Good luck with the next big one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah to you for the finish. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Downton Ladies is Gorgeous !
    Congratulations on a great finish :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Ladies are awesome! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that line of fabrics and you've definitely done a lovely job of making them into a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!