I may have my own roots in traditional quilting but I sure like the bright colorful quilts and the use of negative space to showcase quilting. Although I live a few hours away from their home base, MMQG opened up membership recently for people like me from away who may not be able to make meetings or sew-in days, but were interested in being part of the group. As a member of MMQG, we are automatically a member of The Modern Quilt Guild, and as such, receive news of upcoming events and challenges.
Awhile ago, the MQG announced the MQG 2015 Fabric Challenge The challenge was simple: make something fantastic that is quilted, make something that you have never done before, challenge yourself to learn something new, and use only "The Cottage Garden" fabrics designed by Amanda Herring of The Quilted Fish and coordinating RB solids and basics. If you were quick enough to and register and respond, which I was, you were then mailed a free fat eighth bundle of six of the fabrics. If people were too late for the free fabrics, they could still enter the challenge by purchasing the challenge fabrics at a participating quilt shop.
I was in from the get-go because I just can't get enough of fabrics that are teal, aqua, turquoise...you get the picture. Here is my challenge quilt story.
The fabrics arrived...
The fabrics were sorted...
I then designed a small quilt and ordered some coordinating RB fabrics to match up with a grey RB blender in my stash. Woodworker Hubby couldn't imagine my making a quilt with those little bits that arrived but I knew I could do it with some whites! I started by cutting 1 1/2" strips from each fabric.
Then I had a look at the RB fabric I had ordered for the backing, a teal that matched the quilt perfectly. Not sure if it matters to the Challenge judges that I chose a RB print for the backing, but it was too pretty not to use!
I am by no means a designer but I played a little bit with an idea and then it started to take shape. I sewed the six strips together and unsewed little bits as needed. That seemed to save time for my spiral.
My little design sheet was pretty messy but it sure came in handy.
Then the spiral grew and took on a life of its own. I started in the centre with a 1 1/2" square of the grey and ended up with the grey leading off the page, er, I mean, the quilt.
After the quilting was done, I attached a scrappy binding. I actually sewed the remaining lengths of 1 1/2" coloured fabric strips to strips of white in order to have enough width to bind the quilt. Once it was done, I added a sleeve and then my clothesline (Woodworker Hubby) went to work.
The hardest thing was to wait for the wind to die down! And yes, that is the snow bank lining our driveway after yet another dumping of snow yesterday morning.
I love seeing the giant spiral from the back!
So there you have it. My "modern" quilt for the challenge, "Double Spiral", the combination of the pieced spiral quilt top and the spiral quilting. Now I have to get back to my traditional Grandmother's Choice. I am adding the final border today.
I will be taking a break from blogging for a few weeks so I'll see you back around the middle of April. Happy Easter!
It's a great day for quilting!