Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A Modern Challenge

A few months ago, I became a member of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild.  I had watched with interest from afar as the quild was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia in November of 2013and watched with excitement as the membership grew so quickly. My friend Linda who blogs at Scrapmaster, was one of the first members and her enthusiasm for this group of quilters was contagious from day one. The quilters are such a fun group, embracing modern quilts and supporting each other, from newbie modern quilters to those whose roots lie in a more traditional past. They have so darn much fun at the monthly sew-ins and their facebook page HERE is a constant source of information sharing.

I may have my own roots in traditional quilting but I sure like the bright colorful quilts and the use of negative space to showcase quilting. Although I live a few hours away from their home base, MMQG opened up membership recently for people like me from away who may not be able to make meetings or sew-in days, but were interested in being part of the group. As a member of MMQG, we are automatically a member of The Modern Quilt Guild, and as such, receive news of upcoming events and challenges. 

Awhile ago, the MQG announced the MQG 2015 Fabric Challenge The challenge was simple: make something fantastic that is quilted, make something that you have never done before, challenge yourself to learn something new, and use only "The Cottage Garden" fabrics designed by Amanda Herring of The Quilted Fish  and coordinating RB solids and basics. If you were quick enough to and  register and respond, which I was, you were then mailed a free fat eighth bundle of six of the fabrics. If people were too late for the free fabrics, they could still enter the challenge by purchasing the challenge fabrics at a participating quilt shop. 

I was in from the get-go because I just can't get enough of fabrics that are teal, aqua, turquoise...you get the picture. Here is my challenge quilt story.

The fabrics arrived...



The fabrics were sorted...


I then designed a small quilt and ordered some coordinating RB fabrics to match up with a grey RB blender in my stash. Woodworker Hubby couldn't imagine my making a quilt with those little bits that arrived but I knew I could do it with some whites! I started by cutting 1 1/2" strips from each fabric.


Then I had a look at the RB fabric I had ordered for the backing, a teal that matched the quilt perfectly. Not sure if it matters to the Challenge judges that I chose a RB print for the backing, but it was too pretty not to use!


I am by no means a designer but I played a little bit with an idea and then it started to take shape. I sewed the six strips together and unsewed little bits as needed. That seemed to save time for my spiral.


My little design sheet was pretty messy but it sure came in handy. 


Then the spiral grew and took on a life of its own. I started in the centre with a 1 1/2" square of the grey and ended up with the grey leading off the page, er, I mean, the quilt.


The challenge for me was to quilt all that negative space in a spiral design which I had never done before. I started the spiral in the centre of the square using my free motion foot to follow the lines I had drawn on the quilt using a Frixion pen. Once I got going a little bit around the centre, I raised my feed dogs and changed to an echo quilting foot. 


After the quilting was done, I attached a scrappy binding. I actually sewed the remaining lengths of 1 1/2" coloured fabric strips to strips of white in order to have enough width to bind the quilt. Once it was done, I added a sleeve and then my clothesline (Woodworker Hubby) went to work.  


The hardest thing was to wait for the wind to die down! And yes, that is the snow bank lining our driveway after yet another dumping of snow yesterday morning.


 I love seeing the giant spiral from the back!


So there you have it. My "modern" quilt for the challenge, "Double Spiral", the combination of the pieced spiral quilt top and the spiral quilting. Now I have to get back to my traditional Grandmother's Choice. I am adding the final border today.

I will be taking a break from blogging for a few weeks so I'll see you back around the middle of April. Happy Easter!

It's a great day for quilting!




29 comments:

  1. I just love it! It's bold, eye-catching and original! I've got a small wall hanging that's waiting for spiral quilting....you're inspiring me to get it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely piece Lesley, enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fantastic! I love the quilting. Good for you for taking on the challenge. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you met the challenge - love the color, pattern and the quilting - super job! Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Modern challenge - I think you could be a designer! It's kind of fun to do the modern things for a change, isn't it? The spiral quilting is great - I haven't tried that yet, but it's on the list for someday.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colours, design you did and the quilting. I'd love to make one it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colours, design you did and the quilting. I'd love to make one it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You not only met the challenge you exceeded it and your resulting quilt is fantastic . One of these days I'd like to tackle a modern quilt . Enjoy your blogging break and Happy Easter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever design! It is really fun, Lesley! And nice job on the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you kidding me??? That is beyond gorgeous!!!

    You sell yourself waaaaaay too short, my friend. I am soooooooo impressed with your talents and the end result. Super, SUPER job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're finished already??? Kudos to you, but mine is still a glimmer of a vision in my mind. It's a great project. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Modern Cuddle Quilter, that's you. You did a super job with the challenge, and the double spiral is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quilt.....quilting is beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Lesley....it is gorgeous and the colors are soooo yummy. The quilting is amazing and I would say that you have a winner in your "modern" journey.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's fantastic Lesley! Love the design and the quilting is perfect for it!
    Have a wonderful Easter! Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is spectacular. I love the colors, the design and the quilting. It is definitely a winner. Wish I had come up with something like this for my modern challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lesley this is so fabulous! You are much braver then me to make a design of your own! We are so grateful to have you as a member of the MMQG!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH MY GOODNESS! Lesley, this is amazing. You truly rose to the challenge both in your design and your quilting. I'm so blown away and can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great result for the challenge. It was lovely to follow your process and see the steps as you worked. Love the end result. The fabrics look great against the white. Your design works really well. Lovely to see the photos against the snow, thanks to hubby.
    Have a lovely break and a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great set of ideas! The result is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh that is wonderful! Love the fabrics, the colors, and your quilting. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the quilting - it makes the whole thing looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like, I like! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is wonderful Lesley. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, I don't know where to start! I am just so impressed with you my friend! Your design is just fabulous. Just fabulous! You certainly rose to the challenge and your quilt is a winner. Your spiral quilting is just perfect! What a great job you did with that. I have to see this in person so hope you will bring it along next time we meet. So glad you joined MMQG. We do have a ton of fun on Sew In Days and wish you could join us sometime. Now I have to get a move on with my RB challenge. I still haven't decided for sure what I will d make but you have inspired me to get going and git 'er done! I did finish my NS Bloggers Quartet initial challenge piece (sounds pretty formal!) and I am very excited for the swap. Again, very impressed with your amazing, original, modern design. You should be very proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome work, Lesley... great design and the spiral finishes it up so well!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This turned out amazing and so beautiful with your quilting! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!