Monday, April 20, 2015

A Quilt for All Reasons

I just returned from a wonderful visit "out West" visiting my DD and her wonderful hubby. I was so excited to be there, enjoying lots of hugs and the emotional highs of seeing baby-in-the-belly move! As a proud mom, I sat by DD's side at her baby shower as family and friends shared the presentation of baby gifts and embraced the excitement over this little boy baby who is due to arrive sometime in June. Needless to say, I brought a suitcase full of hand crafted gifts with me that were very well received and now I will share some pictures with you in the next few posts.

Of course, I made a few quilts... The safety concerns of newborns dictate that very little bedding be used in their cribs but we quilters know that a quilt is so much more than a bed covering. Whether the quilts will be used as wall hangings, play mats, for warmth in strollers or car seats, as bed coverings when the little boy is in a big boy bed, or taken from room to room in his little fist as a cuddle quilt, I know these quilts will get lots of love.

One of the quilts I made was bought years ago as a kit at a LQS that has been closed now for several years. When we found out that we were to be grandparents of a little boy, I immediately went to my cupboard and pulled out my Just Ducky flannel kit. The pattern, designed by Bonnie Sullivan, was also featured in the December 2009 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting



The kit included a variety of lovely flannels just waiting for me to cut into them.



The pinwheel blocks worked up quickly...



and the duckies were just too cute! 


I used a small blanket stitch to do the machine applique



and embroidered the eyes for safety reasons-no buttons on this quilt! 


A few seams to fit everything together..


Viola! A finished Just Ducky quilt, all ready and waiting for our first grandbaby boy!



The kit included a flannel for the back and a wonderful check for the binding....such a cosy cuddle quilt! The size, 44" square, translated into a quilt that took very little time to machine quilt.


As you can see, my loop de loop quilting is continuing to be my "go to" choice of quilting designs.


I love making baby things! 

Thanks so much for coming by. It's a great day for quilting!

25 comments:

  1. Lovely projects Lesley, look forward to seeing you sometime in June 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a fun time and that's certainly a cute quilt. Flannel makes it so cuddly too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet baby quilt - love flannels for a baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home again, home again, jigging jig! Glad to hear you had such a good time! The ducky quilt will most certainly be the go to quick for many purposes, so warm and soft. Your quilting just gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy you had a chance to attend the baby shower, and the quilt is fabulous. Love how it turned out it looks so soft and cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That duck quilt is absolutely adorable! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great you could go and visit, and be there for the baby shower, that is so special. That is just an adorable baby quilt! Those flannels look so soft and cuddly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had such a nice visit. LOVE that cute quilt. I'll bet it feels soft and cuddley too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an exciting time. And the quilt is adorable. Those ducks are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making baby quilts is so much fun, especially when that baby is one of our heart. What an adorable little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to cute, such a beautiful baby quilt.
    Congratulations on this great finish.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a cute quilt. Congratulations on the baby on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So great that you could attend DD's baby shower. What fun that must have been. The ducky quilt is just precious! Your freemotion is fabulous! Loop-de-loops are my favourite ! I am teaching another FMQ class at Suzanne's next month...OK if I use you as an example of how to get over the fear and quilt your own quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a darling little quilt for baby--and so cuddly in flannel. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a wonderfully sweet quilt; love the ducks. It looks cozy and soft, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute! I'm glad you had a wonderful vacation, and you were able to deliver it by hand. Can't wait to see what else you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an exciting time for you all! I think the enjoyment of making things for people I love was the driving force behind my sewing, quilting and knitting, artistic expression came much later. Enjoy every stitch as you prepare for your precious grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such an exciting time for you!!! Love the ducky quilt! I'm expecting a new grandson tomorrow (being induced), so he has an elephant quilt (requested by mom), a wall hanging, cuddle blanket and cuddle pillow! I'm looking forward to meeting him and getting to cuddle with him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So precious. Can't wait to see pictures of your other handmade items. Congrats on the new to be grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh it is so sweet and I'm betting that you are so anxious to hold him for the first time. Special days are ahead and I'm very excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, so sweet! I love those little ducks and your quilting looks just beautiful. Being a grandma is the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a darling quilt....your new baby will use it a lot.....can't you see him dragging it along behind him....yelling grandma when you walk in the house....nothing better.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So exciting Lesley! Glad you had a great time away :-) Beautiful quilt - it looks just perfect for your nearly - new little chap.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!