Monday, April 27, 2015

Elephant Parade

Continuing on with my series of baby quilts, I present to you "Elephant Parade", the third baby quilt I made and gifted to my DD and SIL for their first baby due in June.  

This quilt design was offered early in February as a free quilt along by blogger/quilt designer Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts. The minute I saw it, I knew I would make it. Lorna is so gifted at quilt design. She knows what works and what appeals to quilters, so I, and many others, jumped on the elephant bandwagon and started sewing. Although she offered Elephant Parade as a free QAL, I purchased the pdf pattern from her so that I could print out a few pages at a time. Because it was to be a gift, I didn't share pictures of my progress on my blog, but now that the quilt is at it's new home, here goes...


As usual, a windy day for the photo shoot, complete with snow banks and Woodworker Hubby doing his best to hang on to the elephants! I quilted it from edge to edge with a serpentine stitch and love the effect of movement it gives the quilt. Thanks, Lorna, for the idea!

The quilt started with a lot of little pieces yet it was very easy to follow along due to Lorna's excellent instructions and pictures.


Before long, the mama elephants were pieced and waiting for their embroidered eyes.


They just weren't complete without their babies...


I love the little critters that Lorna added to the design...



and what a great idea to add the flowers and a little red bird or two!


I couldn't wait to sew everything together and I even managed to follow the instructions so that all the elephants and critters were going in the direction they were supposed to be going! 


This was a joy to make and a joy to give. I put a cosy flannel on the back and hope that grand baby boy will enjoy this quilt for years to come. Lorna has set up a Linky party so if you click HERE you'll see lots of terrific Elephant Parades from all over the world. 

Do elephants really fly?  


It's a great day for quilting!

22 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable, Lesley! I'll bet this just delighted your daughter. My Elephant Parade is sewn into rows and tucked away in my suitcase, waiting to be finished when I get home. I hope I can quilt it as well as you did! I'll probably have to call you for advice! Have a great day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on a fabulous finish, Lesley! Such a beautiful parade.... Your herd looks wonderful! I am so glad to have had you quilt along. This is such a delightful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great finish! The elephants look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so cute, especially with them going the right direction! Obviously, you follow directions better than I do. LOL The quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lesley, this is absolutely adorable! Your grandson will cherish this very special quilt. I'm sure you are all anxious for him to arrive... ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is just delightful!! And just a simple quilting that gives a little texture makes for that cuddly goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! I love the idea of flannel backing. I'm sure it will be very loved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out so cute! I just love this pattern.....and her other great ones too.....zebras, squirrels and pigs....oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really a nice quilt. Congratulations on the finish. I'm still working with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too, too cute. Just grinned through this whole post. Love it, Lesley!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Elephant Parade is wonderful. It is so nice to have it finished and it was so nice to make. My is done to and I have also presented it on my blog today.
    http://hillvalleyquilter.blogspot.se/2015/04/min-elefantparad-my-elephant-parade.html
    I live in Sweden, so the elephants are walking all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your elephants are just delightful , I have saved this pattern as I would also love to make it , too cute to resist . You did an amazing job and I love your quilting ! This may just become a favorite for that little boy about to enter this world :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable! I hope Baby has many cuddly years with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Lesley!! Congratulations on the beautiful finish...that's one lucky baby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely LOVE this quilt and I'm sure Momma and Poppa-to-be do as well. Great job, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really cute pattern and it looks super.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a fun quilt to make, wasn't it! Yours turned out adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Lesley,
    congratulations on this beautiful baby quilt finish. Lovely quilt.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhh… I love it! It is so cute… and it is really different from the ones you use to make. I love the turtle in the middle of the elephants!
    Big kisses my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilt turned out extremely cute. I love the frog and the turtle. Every one of these quilts I see is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow. It is just adorable. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a bit late but have nearly caught up on posts.
    Love this quilt, It looks like such fun with these adorable elephants.
    The flannel on the back will be so warm.
    A lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!