Monday, May 4, 2015

Meet Stella, the Perfect Diaper Bag

Good morning from sunny Cape Breton. I want to say a special hello to Diane who I met in Atlantic Fabrics in New Glasgow the other day. Diane is a multi-talented quilter, seamstress, and knitter who reads my blog religiously and recognised me from my picture. The picture is several years old, but the short grey hair is a given! Diane came up and introduced herself to me, and I also met Kim, her quilt friend who works at the shop. So nice to meet you ladies and share in the love of quilting with you!

When I finished the three baby quilts for DD and DSIL's soon-to-be-born baby boy, I started on a diaper bag with the intention of filling it up with baby things. Today I'll share with you the making of the Stella diaper bag, designed by the fabulous mother-daughter team at Clover and Violet.These ladies design the niftiest things, and their bags have become a specialty! Stella was just the one I wanted to make, with the idea that it could be used for the new baby, or used for a trip to the gym for DD. In my mind, a bag for many reasons! 

I ordered the PDF pattern from their shop and those sweet generous ladies also included an extra free "Louisa" pattern with the order. That may have to be the bag I make for me. Thanks, gals, you are the best! 

I chose a blend of grey and white for the fabrics in a combination of chevrons and polka dots to complete this bag. I used primarily home decor fabrics I ordered from Fabric.com for the outside of the bag, and quilting cotton for the lining, ties, and trim. 


The chevron fabric was a perfect choice for quilting!


As you can see, I used two sizes of polka dots to compliment the bag, cotton twill for the facing, and quilting cotton for the ties and trim.


I especially love that the ties can make the bag bigger or smaller. 


Don't you think the bottom of the bag deserves to be seen again?


I didn't add the magnetic clasp for closing just because I remember the days of overfilled diaper bags and the need to keep filling.


The inside pocket was a perfect place to put my label.


DD loved the Stella bag and was very impressed that I could make more than just quilts...giggle...we quilters can make anything, right?


Next time I'll show you the little treasures I made to fill the bag. It's a great day for quilting!

14 comments:

  1. I just love it Lesley! How cute! Perfect fabric combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bag is fabulous! You did a wonderful job making it. Love the chevrons and dots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful and I love the fabrics choices. It will make a fabulous diaper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous bag - love the mix of soft greys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lesley,
    you can make anything, I see, the bag is wonderful. Lovely choice of fabrics.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bag!!! I should have made one for my new grandson!!! Guess I'll need to make up a few just to have on hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful bag--definitely could serve duty, after diaper days, for many other things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this bag !!!! Perfect diaper bag :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a terrific diaper bag Lesley , love the fabric choices , so modern and fresh . Love it !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great bag! Great colors! I'm sure your DD is happy as can be! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a gorgeous bag Lesley and sounds like it has the smile of approval from your DD. And thank you for the link, now I'm just trying to think if I'll have time to whip one up for my dil...hmm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is going to be such a useful bag. Love the design and your choice of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not only is it beautiful, it's multi-functional as well it would appear. I can see it being used as a tote once the need to carry diapers is over. Great job, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Lesley! It's fantabulous! I wouldn't mind carrying one, myself! Happy Mothers' Day, my friend. I'm home and looking forward to seeing you soon. XO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!