Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Quilts and Baby Things

A couple of weeks ago, our local quilt guild hosted the AGM for the Ocean Waves Quilt Society. Over 100 quilters attended the event held at the Port Hawkesbury Civic Centre. It was a day of camaraderie, meeting old friends and making new ones. A highlight of the day was the impromptu quilt show that was made possible as members from far and near brought in some of the quilts that they had completed over the winter. We had a horrendous winter outside but it was a perfect winter inside for quilting! Here is a look at what we saw that day...














Lots of inspiration! Today I am also sharing a few more baby things that went out West for the soon-to-be grandson. First up is a couple of portable polka dot change mats I made to coordinate with the diaper bag. I bought a couple of mats at a local department store and made the covers by adapting a free tutorial I found HERE. 


I changed the pattern a bit so the mat would fold up into a larger rectangle to reduce extra bulk since I used a home-decor fabric for the cover.

With a baby boy on the way, I couldn't resist making a few necktie bibs. I used flannel for the fronts and a terrycloth for the back with Velcro for closing. I googled "necktie bib tutorials" and adapted a few patterns to make mine.


Burp cloth tutorials are a dime a dozen, so I found a pattern I liked and made a few to start with more to come. I again used flannel for the front and terry for the back.


I had some flannel scraps remaining, so I made a flannel receiving blanket with a solid flannel for the back....



and wrapped it up with a little velcro clasp...


Finally, a couple of nursing covers, made using this pattern HERE. I love how the new mommie who designed the pattern added a little pocket because she needed one. You can see I have a new love affair with teals, aquas, and turquoise...hope new mommie does too!

So there you have it. Today I will be spending time with my Stars and Strips, a little quilt designed by Terry Atkinson that I am making for the shop. I bought the pattern and had cut the fabrics years ago, so it was like a gift to find it all ready in one of my totes just waiting for me!





It's a great day for quilting!

19 comments:

  1. What great inspiration from all of the quilts - thanks for sharing! The new mommie is going to LOVE all of the darling baby things. Those necktie bibs are absolutely adorable! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sew many cute and practical baby things. Mommy should be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore all your baby things, so cute and handy. They will be used a lot.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the quilt show - inspiration abounds. And you really got hooked with the 'baby quilting'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your pictures of the quilts were wonderful. So many cool patterns, it was wonderful to see. Love your baby items. The necktie bib is very cute. Little guy is going to be well outfitted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bowtie bibs. Great idea. The stars are great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The show looks like a fun event. I like the way they have displayed the quilts. Looks like they are draped over chairs set up on tables. Am I wrong? It is effective without needing lots of special equipment.
    You are a wonderful grandma--makes me feel like a slug for not doing more for the granddaughter to be born tomorrow. *LOL*
    Very pretty little star quilt. What fun to find that all ready to sew. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooooooo many lovely quilts! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! The show looks wonderful and a great way to celebrate the end of winter! Love all your makes for the new baby too - I'm sure he will love teal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredible quilt show that looked like! Just awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've definitely caught the "Grandma Bug!" So many cute things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are all beautiful! Warm greetings from a fellow Canadian in Montreal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful quilts were on display , wow ! Love all the baby things , you sure have outfitted him well , the little bibs are adorable as are the burp cloths . Wonderful work . The star quilt will be very cheerful , a real happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great quilts! I think quilt shows are super inspirational! It looks like you have inspiration already!! I think your baby items are So Nice! I bet your daughter is thrilled with them! Have you plans to move nearer them? Thank you for Your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the way the quilts are on display. Fabulous! I haven't been reading many blogs lately so I missed that a baby is on the way. I'm so happy for you and your family Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful quilt display. So lovely to see what everyone had been making.
    Love seeing all the goodies you are making for this new baby. The colours are wonderful. Your gifts are so practical and thoughtful.
    I do like those quilts that have been waiting in the stash just for the right time. These stars are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have been very very busy....it is hard to comment on all of the awesome eye candy. Love love those bibs because I am getting my first grandbaby....YEPEEE

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the goodies that you are making for the new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a busy little bee you have been! The quilt display is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!