Monday, June 15, 2015

Just Call me Nana C

On June 12, we became grandparents for the first time! We are thrilled that our little grandson entered the world safely to greet his mommy and daddy. All is well with the new family and as I said to my daughter, "Who needs sleep anyway?" We'll be meeting him in the near future and will have lots of time to cuddle then. In the meantime, thank goodness for Face timing and Face book!

In between all the excitement, I kept the pedal to the medal to finish my Plus Sign quilt that I told you about last time HERE.

I like to spray baste my quilts, so off I went to the deck on a nice day and put my quilt sandwich on the box that we store our deck chairs in. It rolls easily so it was perfect to use as I moved it around to spray the layers.





I pieced the backing using some yardage I had that also share those bright blues and lime greens! 

 

I decided to go with straight line quilting, side to side, using a YLI Teal variegated thread.


I started on the same side for each line of stitching and then changed at the midway point to reduce any unwanted rippling. I have a handy dandy quilting attachment by Pfaff that allows me to adjust my quilting lines on either side. 








You can see the quilting lines a little better at this angle.



When it was time to sew on the binding, I rolled my binding around an antique spindle, put the spindle in an empty trash can, and sewed it on as it unravelled  easily from the roll. The things we do to make life easier!




 
The quilt finishes at 50" x 64", a perfect size for a cuddle quilt. It is now hanging in the Artisans Collective gift shop located at the Port Hastings Museum. The shop opens tomorrow and it is my day to work!  ( Open hours are Monday - Friday from 9-5; starting in July, also open on weekends from 12-4).  If you're in the area, please drop by. I will take my camera tomorrow to get some pictures...always a better selection at the start of the summer!
 
Thank you for all your wishes for Mom's recovery. I just returned from another trip to Moncton  and I saw a huge improvement from last time. Every day she continues to get better due to the excellent care and support she is receiving from the medical staff, her family, and her friends. 


It's a great day for quilting!



 


 

39 comments:

  1. That is a great quilt. I use an empty roll from the aluminm foil to wrap my binding on and put it on the stand-up thread guide when sewing on a binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh congrads on the grandson, I got by first grand-daught just 3 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new baby - they are simply the BEST! Your plus quilt turned out really nice - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Nana C!! Glad to hear you mom is doing better. Would you believe I roll my bindings out of an empty trash can too? Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you Grandma!! I remembers first grandson, now 13! Your life will never be the same! Thank you for the binding idea. I will try it next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new grandson!!! Grands are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Great quilt love the colors and the qutimg is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lesley
    CONGRATULATIONS x hope to catch up soon!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Lesley - wonderful news!! And your latest finish is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Nana C !!!!!!! So happy for you and your family :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luv the blues and greens and congrats! what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Nana C! That is BIG news--very exciting!
    Quilt turned out great. I love your clever method for containing the binding.
    Glad to hear your Mom is improving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations. There's only one thing better than being a grandmother and that's being a mom. Love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to all on the new addition to the family. Wonderful new quilt too. Wish I was in the area as I would certainly love to stop in to visit and shop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such wonderful news! Your quilt came out awesome. I'm sure it won't last long at the shop! Drove by today and saw activity, so knew it would be opening soon! I wish you all the best of luck this season!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the new little grandbaby. Isn't it so exciting?

    I love the Pluses quilt. The colors are just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Nana!!! So happy all went well. Love your Plus Sign quilt. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on the birth of your grandson. You must be dizzy with happiness. Your quilt is beautiful; I love the blues and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is wonderful. Congrats on the grandson. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so exciting...congratulations! Being a grandma is the best thing ever! Love the quilt design and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Lesley,
    Congratulations and fest wishes for your first grandson, and congratulations to this beautiful finished quilt.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the colors and a the cross quilt ... Lesley!!!! Glad your Mom is doing better. Let me know the next time you hit Florida .... I will drive to find you... That's for sure. I need a hug... From my long time friend:):)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations, Nana. Being a Nana is the best thing in the world! I'm glad to hear that your mom is doing better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. CONGRATULATIONS Nana C!!!! How exciting!!! So glad baby and mom are fine, and that you will be holding that sweet bundle in your arms soon for some adorable hugs and kisses - and CUDDLING!!!! You are The Cuddle Quilter after all, right? Love your Plus quilt - those fabrics make me happy :*) And great idea for the binding - I've gotta try that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the idea of the old bobbin for the binding and the bin. I will try this the next time I am doing the binding. Thanks. Congratulations on becoming grandparents I bet you can't wait to see the new bundle. Hugs, Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! This is wonderful news and so exciting. So pleased that all are well. You are going to have the most wonderful time with your grandson. Just think of all the mischief you can get up to together!!
    Your plus quilt looks great. the straight line quilting suits it perfectly. I can't see that staying in the shop for too long. It will be snapped up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats Nana C and I know you are going to be an awesome nana ! Love the spool quilt , very summery , nice finish . Glad your mom is improving every day , that is great news.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations! :)
    Love the quilt!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  29. LOL.....who needs sleep anyway. My granddaughter is 16 and finally sleeps through the night most nights....giggle. Lovely quilt and the colors are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A lovely finish Lesley and many congratulations. xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm late to the party but Whoo hoo! I know you have been waiting to claim that title for a long time. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm sorry I'm so late, but many congratulations on becoming first-time grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  33. How exciting for your family! The quilt is awesome and I'm sure it will get a lot of cuddling.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh congrats Nana C. Facetime is such a lifesaver. Every time we facetime with our litttle guy...as soon as our picture comes up he smiles the biggest smile and claps...melts my heart every single time!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! Looks great, Lesley :) The quilt is just beautiful! Congrats on your new grandson and congrats to the new parents. Hope they are getting a bit more sleep...I'm sure they will when you are out to visit them ;) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lesley I'm so glad you showed how you baste your quilts - I'm going to help a friend baste one today and we debated how we wanted to do it. This might work for us! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrats on being new grandparents. What a thrill. Your quilt is beautiful. I love those colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi love!! First of all, I'm very happy to know your mom is getting better; second… Congratulations for your new status, hehe.. ;o) And last thing… OMG, you are making my "wish to make list" soooo big… I just love your new quilt, and the colors are really nice!
    Big kisses dear...

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congrats on the new little one....awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!