Friday, July 17, 2015

A Tote, the Maine Quilt Show, and the Nova Scotia Fibrearts Festival

This morning I finished making a new tote bag. I had been collecting some fat quarters in aquas and blues and decided it was time to cut them up, so I did and I made this...



I chose a pattern by Sherrod Studio called the Tote Along Tool Caddy. I wanted a larger bag so I added some height for a bag that now measures about 14" x 14" x 4". 

I lined it with some matching fabric and managed to sew a little Cuddle Quilter label on it too! 



You may notice the bag can stand up on its own! I decided to try out byannie's Soft a Stable, a product used in place of batting, designed specifically "for bags and beyond". It really does work well. It's fairly thick but very light. My machine sewed through it with ease, though I did sew a little slower than normal and tried to be more precise.



Why did I need a new bag?  'Cause I'm going on a road trip!
Yes, in less than a week, I will be bussing along the highway with a group of quilters on our way to the 2015 Maine Quilt Show in Augusta.



I have wanted to attend this show for years but never had the opportunity until now. I will be travelling with a bus tour that departs from Moncton, New Brunswick, the fourth annual trip arranged as a fundraiser for Victoria's Quilts Canada, a program that provides handmade quilts for people with cancer. 

I love the itinerary! We will be on the road for three nights and four days, visiting quilt and yarn shops, malls, and spending a day at the show complete with over 35 vendors. In fact, the coordinator of the bus tour suggests everyone bring a 68 litre tote for all their purchases. I am practicing this week with my wheelie cart. Guess they must have a huge bus ready for us!




In other news, I was thrilled to see the information being posted recently for the Nova Scotia Fibrearts Festival, an annual event that takes place in Amherst, NS. This year it runs from October 13-17. 

Every day or two, they seem to be posting new workshops and I was thrilled to see that Linda Hubbards of Fredericton is offering two workshops, one for free motion quilting and one for walking foot quilting. I signed up for the walking foot workshop on the Saturday but am also thinking of taking her Friday workshop on Free Motion Quilting too...I have such a lot to learn! Maybe some of you will join me?

 I will also be meeting up during the festival with my friends from the Nova Scotia Bloggers Quartet, Linda  Scrapmaster, Sheila Sheila's Quilt World, and Karen Kaholly to see the displays and share our quilty inspiration! The Maritime Modern Quilt Guild will have a display set up again this year and I hope to submit a couple of my more modern renditions this year. What a fun time it will be!

It's a great day for quilting!





20 comments:

  1. Hi Lesley, hope you have a GREAT time, wish I was tagging along, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your bag! The trip sounds fantastic~ can't wait to see what you come home with in that tote! :-) Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bag is beautiful. I love how it keeps its shape, and the colors are gorgeous.
    Sounds like there is TOO MUCH FUN on your horizon!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Hope that bus has room for all the purchases--sounds like a great trip and quilt show

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tote bag - it is so pretty! Your trip sounds wonderful! Sounds like LOTS of shopping is planned! ENJOY and have FUN! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are just too darned clever...L-O-V-E your new tote! And of course it'll be perfect for your shopping trip to the Maine Quilt Show!!! Wish I could join you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing trip! I looked at that quilt show last year because I considered taking the ferry over from Yarmouth. In the end, I just couldn't swing the cost because I didn't want to drive there. A bus tour would be great! Maybe I'll have to look into this next year. Hope you have a great time! I can't wait to hear about it! And love the Tote :) Enjoy the quilt show :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, your bag looks very professionally made! Just beautiful! I bought some Soft'nStable, too, but haven't tried it out yet. Have fun in Maine! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bag is wonderful and will be perfect for your trip. But are you sure just one tote will be enough for all your purchases??
    It looks like you have lots planned to attend with workshops and friends to see.
    Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great bag Lesley - soft and stable is something to look out for. Hope you have a great road trip. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you are going to have an amazing time on and off the bus! see you in Amherst in October!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your new bag… and if I'm honest I would like to see all of you with your 68L tote going out of the bus… hahaha… you have to take a photo!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Lesley,
    best wishes for your very exciting trip, have a great time there with your beuatiful new bag. Guess you are all set to go.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your tote and enjoy the trip. I hope to make it to that show myself some day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you have a great time ahead of you!! Hope you have lots of fun, shopping, workshopping, and meeting with the blogging ladies. Love your new tots - lovely colours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bag is lovely! I've used Soft and Stable and really like what it does for a bag. Looks like you've got some fun times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lesley, it was sooo nice to have met you and you are much cuter in person than your picture here. just saying. You fit into our group like you have been with us all our lives. Great fun was definitely had by all, although I did pay a bit health wise for it it was still all worth it and now I will rest up. Have to ready for next year and maybe one in the fall to N.S. yipeee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OOPS!! Lesley, forgot to sign Janet as you know me by. not janie. bustour partner in crime

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!