Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Grandmother's Choice and the Maine Quilt Show

I'm back from my bus trip to the Maine Quilt Show. In one word, "Fantastic!" I travelled along the highways from New Brunswick to Maine and back again with 26 quilters from Moncton and area. They accepted this New Brunswick native/Nova Scotian dweller like a dirty shirt! From the time I stepped onto the bus 'till the time I stepped off, it was non-stop quilty sharing, quilty shopping, and quilty viewing of some fabulous quilts at the show. Yes, I did a little shopping, choosing to pick up patterns and quilty items I couldn't necessarily find in my not-so-local quilt shops, but I didn't fill the 68 litre tote I had brought along with me. Restraint can be a good thing, right? I'll share some of my purchases at a later date once I start some new projects.

Before I show you some pictures of quilts from the show, I want to share with you one of my own favorite all-time finishes that I bound in the days leading up to my bus trip.  Grandmother's Choice is a finish! (You could make this too as the instructions are found HERE.) This was a QAL through Barbara Brackman in 2012/2013 that featured a block a week to celebrate the fight for women's right to vote. It is a pretty large quilt, about 84" x 102", made using civil war fabrics and shirtings that I thought would be in keeping with the final project.



Barbara gave us lots of ideas for the settings. I decided to "go big or go home" and chose to set the blocks using a 9-patch with triple sashing, so of course extra time was needed for all that piecing! Machine quilting was done by Ange Ross of Quilting on the Mira who used an edge to edge design.

Barbara provided us with a pdf for the label so I cut and pasted the graphic onto a word document, adding my information with the years that women were given the right to vote in Canada and the US.  I printed this onto Printed Treasures Printable Fabric and quilted the label with some batting to give it some extra punch before I attached it to the back. 



Now, onto the Maine Quilt Show, with just a small sampling of some of the quilts that caught my attention. I didn't want the post to be too picture heavy so will divide the quilt pictures up over a few posts.



























Do you see the little "hand" that is attached to the right front of the quilt? That means the quilt is quilted by hand, though there were not too many "hands" in evidence.  

Hope you enjoyed a few snippets from the Maine Quilt Show. The bus trip from Moncton is an annual trip, with profits going to Victoria's Quilts Canada, Moncton chapter. Victoria's Quilts is a volunteer group that provides quilts to those who have been diagnosed with cancer. There are branches across Canada and in the USA. If you want to be on the email list for next year's bus trip, let me know and I'll send your name along to the coordinator. In addition to visiting the show,which included dozens of vendors, we visited several fabric shops and malls while we were there. To find out more about the organization, like how to volunteer, donate, or request a quilt for someone, visit Victoria's Quilts Canada

It's a great day for quilting!





20 comments:

  1. Just love your Grandmother's Choice! Yes, a triple sashing does make them grow larger, but it really adds to the period of this quilt setting. What a great shot of the show floor from above - doesn't that ocean of quilts just fill your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is awesome! And you obviously had a wonderful time on your bus trip!! I would hate to think how expensive it could be to fill one of those big totes with purchases, but I'm sure many quilters would have no problem. Thanks for sharing all the quilt pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt would have looked wonderful at that quilt show ,it is incredible . Thanks for sharing some photos of the show , it sure is an inspiration , beautiful quilts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Grandmother's Choice is gorgeous. I love the colors.

    The show looks amazing. There was surely a ton of eye candy to take in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is beautiful. Love the photos from the Maine show! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt Lesley, congratulations. Thanks for sharing your photos of the Maine quilt show it looks like a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Grandmother's Choice quilt is spectacular Lesley! I've got 35 different 6" blocks made and am trying to decide how to sew them together - this is now a strong contender for me - I love it! The quilt show looks like it was great! Were there only traditional quilts there? Or did you just not share the modern ones that are becoming so prevalent?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Grandmothers Choice quilt is absolutely stunning, Lesley! It's quite an accomplishment and you should be very proud. As a matter of fact, you should stand up and take a bow! I know I'll get to see it in person very soon so I can ooooh and ahhhh at your lovely work some more. Glad you had such a good time on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures of the show Lesley but I LOVE your Grandmothers Choice quilt - it is stunning. Well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is my favorite of them all, Lesley! Wonderful job! Triple sashing with 9-patch cornerstones is a favorite setting.
    Looks like a good show--I like the idea of the hand representing hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Grandmother's Choice is beautiful; you did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Lesley,
    your Grandmother's Choice Quilt is just beautiful, gorgeous, fantastic, wonderful.....would like to use every word that expresses my likes for your finish. Congratulations and thank you for the pretty pictures from the show.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lesley. Your quilt is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing those gorgeous quilts x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Grandmother's Choice looks great! I was so excited to see your finished quilt - so many fun blogging memories associated with that project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures Lesley.xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Lesley,
    I enjoyed your post! Nothing more inspiring than a huge room full of stunning quilts! I have been saving my selvages for several years but have only made one small project. Your pictures gave me some good ideas. Tell me about the little Hexie quilt. Was it pieced or appliqued? I couldn't discern if she had pieced white on each hexie or appliqued them to a a whole piece of white fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your amazing finish! I have those blocks sitting around waiting for attention. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing your quilt show with us. I just finished each of the posts....so much inspiration! (I like the little hand on the quilts, indicating they were hand quilted!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Grandmother's choice turned out lovely. Thanks for sharing, the first pic showing all the quilts is great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your finish is fabulous. Nicely done. And thank you for sharing a bit from the show.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!