Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway Quilt Show

It's a busy time for quilters and crafters in the Strait area. We're all getting ready for the 10th annual Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway Quilt Show and Sale. On Friday, August 7, we'll open the doors to the sale in the 129-year old St. David's Church located in Port Hastings, Nova Scotia. The church is located at the entrance to Cape Breton, after you cross the Canso Causeway and drive around the rotary.


We expect to have over 100 quilts for sale, with the church hall filled to the rafters with smaller hand crafted items. Because it is our 10th anniversary, we will be open for 10 days, from 10-4 each and every day.You'll also be able to enjoy refreshments with us, see some of us quilt on a traditional quilt frame, and perhaps enjoy a tune or two of local entertainment if you drop in on Sunday, August 9th at 2:00 pm. 



I have a few quilty items for sale this year and just this past week put the finish on a few more.  If you recall, the Maine Quilt Show inspired me to make a project I saw on display, the Modern Hexie Table runner.  I used a tutorial to help me on my way, but when I went to the page earlier, it was no longer there. I think if you look at my pictures, you may be able to figure out how I made it.  I loved using my Pedal Pushers mini-charm pack. The fabric line is a "nod to the 1950's and this gal is a baby of the 50's so the fabric called my name! 





I also managed to finish a little quilt, Charming Stars, a Moda Bake Shop pattern. I was looking for a pattern to use up some charm sqaures that were taking space in my cupboards so combined Simply Color and Road 15 with a bright white for a "structured" scrappy quilt. The quilt finishes at about 48" x 64", perfect to use as a lap quilt or for the bottom of a bed. It started off as a sandwich...


but it didn't take long to quilt it. I chose to keep it soft and simple, echo quilting around the stars and stitching 1/4 " away from the sashing lines. 



I decided to use the rest of the charms to add a little interest to the back.


Today I am madly trying to finish a few Christmas table toppers.


I bought the "Santa's on his Way" panel and fabrics at the Maine Quilt Show...so cute...and am making the One Big Star pattern with each of the four Santa's I have.  I did my FMQ yesterday and will work on the bindings today.

The final preparations start tomorrow when all the quilters head to the church to register their items. Friday morning is show time! Are you coming for a visit? I plan to stay pretty close to the church for the full 10 days, but if you are planning to visit the show, email me and I'll make sure I'm there to see hello. We have a Facebook page for the church show so please visit it HERE and share with any friends who might be interested. 

Before I go, a huge hug and thank you to my fellow Nova Scotia Quilt Bloggers Quartet. We had a fabulous time last weekend at the quilt show in Pictou. We shared hugs, stories, were inspired, received some awesome gifts from each other, and I, for one, inhaled the fabulous cookies that Karen made. Visit each of their blogs to see pics from the show and have the chance to get to know them a little better...they are awesome gals...Linda at Scrapmaster, Sheila at Sheila's Quilt World, and Karen at KaHolly. We hope to connect again at the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival

It's a great day for quilting!


14 comments:

  1. Lesley, I'm in awe of your work, as always. Wowza, your table runner came out beautifully! I'm inspired to give that pattern a try - maybe a cushion cover. But it will have to go 'on the list' while I finish up what I've already started. Am looking forward to the show. It's so well done and always one of my favorites! I'm sure I'll see you there. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could come visit you and the show and sale ... just a little too far. How awesome that you and the rest of the Quartet could get together. What fun you all must have had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Wish I lived closer and was walking... Lol!!! It sounds like so much fun! I would have loved to be there. All the quilts you have made are simply delightful... I especially like the hexie quilt. I want to make one that way one day myself. Have fun my friend... And my you sell it all :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous projects! The table runner is lovely. I love the hexies set on the white with the white showing between them. The quilting on Charming Stars is just right. Good luck finishing your Santa table toppers today. Wish I could at attend the show - maybe someday! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lesley,
    a lot of beautiful finishes, congratulations, what great projects.
    Have fun at your event, unfortunatly this is too far.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful projects! Love your hexie runner! I have checked the link and it's on my to do list. Have a wonderful time at your quilt show and sale!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Hexie runner - how cool and super quilting my dear. I think straight line is more difficult than FMQ as well as more time consuming. Good luck with the show, wish I could visit - some day sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hexie runner is fabulous! I also think the leftover charms made up into a beautiful finish. Good luck with the show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lesley, love the poster for the show the quilt pictured so lovely.

    Your Hexie and star quilts are just Chsrming!

    The tutorial link didn't work for me.

    Have a wonderful time at the show. Wish I could come, congratulations on the tenth anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi, I checked the link and you are right...no tutorial there. I used it just the other day, but the web page doesn't even look the same, so I removed the link from my blog post. If the tutorial goes back up in the future, I will set up the link again. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

      Delete
  10. I wish I could come to the show. I'd love to visit Cape Breton again Thanks for telling me how you quilted your charming squares. I have two tops that are to be quilted soon. Have fun at eh show!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful event. Wish I wasn't across the continent. Actually, I will be back east most of that time, but no chance of getting up to the show. Can you share lots of photos with us?
    Very happy runner, and I may have to break down and use some of my charm packs in that star quilt someday.
    So I gather the Christmas toppers are being sold at the show. They should get snatched up. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your quilts. Are you going to be able to take pictures of the show? Oh how I wish that I could visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope the show/sale goes really well for all. I love your hexie runner, it's beautiful!. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!