Saturday, August 22, 2015

Inspired by Everything Quilty

We recently wrapped up the Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway 10th annual quilt show and sale in Port Hastings, Nova Scotia just a few days ago. I was in quilty heaven for almost two weeks, surrounded by over 100 quilts on display and dozens of smaller quilted items in the church hall. I started a Facebook page for the show and updated it every day with pictures and stories. If you love "quilty immersion", you can get your quilty fix by visiting the page HERE. If the link doesn't work, just enter the words "Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway" in the Facebook search window and you should be able to find it.

The church balcony was the home for Grandmother's Choice during the show and it was wonderful to see it in the late afternoon with the sun shining on it.




I was very fortunate to be able to arrange for a new home for Grandmother's Choice and I know she will be well cared for, and I was again thrilled when my Ladies of Downton Abbey quilt went to a fan of the show and a fan of my quilt. 



We had hundreds of visitors over the duration of the show, many of them quilters just like you and me, and a few fellow bloggers to boot! Speaking of boots, meet Valerie of Purple Boots and Pigtales, and a fellow member of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild. Valerie is like a breath of fresh air and her enthusiasm is contagious. She had lots of fun posing with my attempt at a modern Charming Stars quilt! 




Although I was busy during the day, I managed to make a few things at night. I fell in love with Edyta Sitar's mini-charm pattern, Little Love, and made a couple of the mini-quilts. The finished quilt is about the size of a piece of paper. I appliqued the hearts by machine and added straight line quilting to finish them off. 



The first one I made using her Heart's Content fabric line. Can you see the thimble on the quilt? This gives you the idea of its size. 



Then I decided to make a larger version of the quilt using her pattern, Sweetheart. This version finishes at about 45" x 54". I used Autumn Festival fabric by Henry Glass. I combined it with my neutrals and another blue from my stash and finished binding it one morning as I worked at the quilt show. 



I chose to use straight line quilting because I had seen Carol's at Just Let me Quilt and I loved it! The quilt is so soft, perfect to cuddle, to throw on a couch, or to hang on a wall.


I made a few extra hearts and used one as my label.


Of course I had leftover fabrics, so another mini-charm quilt was added to the mix, and another tote bag!


Now that the show is over, I am focusing on finishing up a few projects and starting a few new ones. The sewing machine is busy and it's a great day for quilting!




20 comments:

  1. I love your heart projects Lesley!!! The last little quilt from batiks is so beautiful. And your tote is gorgeous :*) So glad to see the quilt show was successful and the quilts went to wonderful forever homes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the mini hearts! I so enjoyed seeing the quilt show on Facebook. Congratulations on such a successful show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many hearts! They are all so nice. The one with the thimble truly is tiny. I love the cuddle quilt and the way you quilted it. Also love the way you used a heart for the label on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those heart quilts are spectacular! I love the straight line quilting ... gives dimension and a fabulous look without overpowering the hearts, which of course are the stars of the show. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little quilts are always so precious and your hearts are great. I love the larger version too with the straight line quilting.

    I'm happy you found great homes for your beautiful work. You know they will be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandmother's Choice looks lovely hanging there. Was it hard to part with it?
    Oh, those tiny heart quilts are delicious!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful heart quilt! Gorgeous quilt show. Thanks for the link and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little heart quilts are wonderful. I love your tote bag too. Glad to hear that your show went well and that the quilts will be in homes with those who love them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I checked out the Facebook page - wow! I'd really like to see this show someday. Those are gorgeous quilts! Beautiful heart quilts - I made something similar to the small one years ago. It never occurred to me to make a larger one - love yours! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilts, how cool that your quilts found new homes. Love your little hearts quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing the show with us! I absolutely love the last photo Withe the Quilts hanging outside the church. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful Lesley, it really does sound like you were in quilty heaven!! Love your latest projects, too, the mini sure is mini. Great that you were able to find homes for you quilts, although it must have been hard to part with them. Hehe love the way there are leftovers for another project, then another.......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your show seems to have been a great success and you have been busy during it too. Your heart quilts are lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back to blogland after a VERY busy two weeks.

    Congrats on the sale of your quilts. They were two of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats for finding homes for two of your most beautiful quilts! I'm very pleased for you. Despite the rigorous schedule you kept during the show, I can't believe how much you accomplished! What fun that Valerie came up for a visit. I can't wait to meet her! Sounds as thought she's just as delightful in person as she is on her blog. With rain in the forecast through Friday, I can't wait to see what else you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sure wish I could've attended. I've been to the causeway, but not for a quilt show :)
    Looks like it was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Lesley in finding homes for two of your lovely quilts . You have been super busy even with the quilt show , love the little heart minis and the larger one too :-) How nice that Valerie attended .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those quilts of yours that you found homes for are just awesome, incredible, and, and, and, wow! You manage to make so many beautiful quilts...what a woman! Even your heart quilt is perfect. I've just started another one (that will make three) to give to a sweet girl. I think I'm hooked on the hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This show was wonderful! It is an awesome feeling being surrounded by such talent and beautiful work. I was so glad you happened to be working at the church the morning we rolled thru...I was also so glad to squeak in at the last minute to see it. The ladies were just starting to come and retrieve their beautiful quilts. I visited the show last year and enjoyed it so much, I was happy to be on holidays at the right time and place again this year. Hope to stitch with you one day Lesley... until then, I'll keep up with you right here! ×0×

    ReplyDelete
  20. The hearts are just adorable and I love the tote too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!