Friday, September 18, 2015

A Scrappy Tote, Zippered Pouches, and a Sewing Machine Cover

This week was a play week for me. I tidied up my sewing room and found a bag of orphan blocks. I wanted to do some silly, no thinking projects, so decided to use the blocks to make a new tote. I found hour glass blocks and flying geese so off I went!





The bag measures about 15" x 16", plenty deep to hold my magazines and project boxes when I go off on a trip.



I added lots of white background to make things fit and did some loopy machine quilting.



I lined the bag with fabric I bought a few years ago when I was on a quilting cruise. Really, where else would I use this fabric? What was I thinking?



When I finished the tote, I made a few zippered pouches. I had purchased some sewing theme fabric awhile back and combined it with some great black and white fabric Karen of KaHolly had gifted me called Timeless Treasures Quilting News.  





It was a cinch to make some HST's, sew the rows together, and quilt the fabric.


 The pouches came together pretty quickly and will hold a multitude of sewing items!




Of course I had more fabric left, so in keeping with a "sewing for me" theme, I decided to make a cover for my sewing machine. I made more HSTs, did some more quilting, and added a binding. 






The shape of the cover kind of resembles a loaf of bread, but it works. The funny thing is, my machine is hardly ever at rest so I probably don't really need a dust cover, but it was a fun project to make and the fabrics make me smile!




It's a great day for quilting!



19 comments:

  1. Wow! You had a very productive week. Love everything you made. Maybe I will get to see that totebag in person soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were on a roll, Lesley! Your creative juices were definitely flowing freely. Just look at all the delicious projects you started AND completed! Good job keeping your focus. I wish I could borrow a page out of your book! I get so distracted, and am so overwhelmed right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think we take enough time to just sew for ourselves. Good for you! Love the tote and all the zips. And she kept going - I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful projects! I love that tote! And the way you used the flying geese. Using cruise fabric for lining is a great idea. (I have some cruise fabric around here.) The zippered bags and machine cover are cute too. Isn't it fun to take some time and sew for yourself? You've got me thinking I need a day or two for me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lesley! Boy am I glad not to miss this great post! Your tote is totally awesome, Love all the color. And so love your sewing bags. The color and fabrics are such fun. And a machine cover ta-boot! What a fun week of sewing you had!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creative you in action. Very nice projects and things you can use. That newspaper fabric looks like paper to me. I know what you mean about the sewing machine cover. I have i made that I love but it sits over the back of my sewing chair. That at least stays dust free:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like such fun and spontaneous sewing. The results are fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busy, busy! That newspaper print is fun to see combined with the different colored fabrics. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice way to use orphan blocks!

    You had a very productive week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow great projects. Love the colors, and everything you accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. they all look great, you have been a busy girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow ... You've been productive! Nice projects, all around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a busy lady! Great makes though and you may just have inspired me to make a tote bag too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lesley, several years ago I made myself a sewing machine cover while away at a retreat, I also made myself a sewing machine mat with pockets across the front for keeping items at hand. I only use them on retreat, cover my machine when I go for breaks or overnight and the mat helps keep the vibration down on the table. Love the spools fabric you used, I got some to make some bags. Congrats on your creative week,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great sewing week. Love the sewing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You were on a roll, lady! I love that you got so many things finished so quickly. If your sewing machine cover would fit one of my machines, I'd gladly accept it. Two of mine desperately need a cover of some type! lol The colors would work great for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Lesley,
    just wonderful fabric combinations on your finished projects. You have been so busy and I love the newspaper fabric where it says, husband used as pincushion...or so. Just too funny.
    Greetigngs,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like them both and sewing for ourselves is just wonderful. Glad you got to make some things just for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!