Thursday, September 24, 2015

Castles on the Horizon and a Supernova Start

There is nothing better than finishing a quilt and hanging it on the line.

My latest finish is called Castles on the Horizon, was designed by Michele Kuhns, and was featured as a Moda Bake Shop free pattern HERE. I follow Michele`s  blog, Crayon Box Quilt Studio, and as soon as I saw her quilt, I knew I had to make it.  It was especially exciting because I already had a layer cake of the Kate Spain designed Horizon fabric in my stash. I bound the quilt this week and took a few different pictures as the sun moved from the front of the house to the back. 



In the following picture, you get a better look at the wonderful edge to edge quilting done by Ange Ross of Quilting on the Mira. 


I always sew a label on my quilts, usually using some of the binding fabric to frame it. The binding is a Mixology fabric called Herringbone by Camelot fabrics which seems to tie everything together!

What`s next? I have a few projects in the works but one of my favorites is my Supernova blocks!




I am using my stash of Kaffe Fassett fabrics that I have been hoarding saving for awhile. It was time to cut into them and I am having a blast with each block. The pattern is part of the free Supernova Quiltalong  offered by Lee who blogs at Freshly Pieced. I have made three blocks so far and am in love with all three! I think I'll call my quilt Supernova Scotia! 

It's a great day for quilting!


24 comments:

  1. Love the colors in Castles, and the quilting is perfect! Supernova Scotia indeed. Love the name...the pattern...the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Castles on the Horizon is gorgeous! I love the colors and the quilting. I have three Kaffe fabrics (that I might be hoarding) - envy you with a stash! Can't wait to see the supernova blocks put together. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supernova Scotia! Ha, you crack me up! Pretty clever😀 The block pieces just flow together so naturally...what an eye for color and placement you have. Love your finish. As always, Ange did a great job with the quilting. I think I'm going to have to take my larger flimsies up to her. She does such a nice job and quite frankly, even with the Janome, quilting a larger quilt is still a chore! Have a wonderful, funderful day! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two question marks are supposed to be a smiley face. Guess blogger doesn't do smiley faces in comments.

      Delete
  4. Your castles quilt is a Devine! I made a snowball quilt for my granddaughter with the Horizon layer cakes. Love the colors. It truly is a great feeling to finish a quilt and for me, to cuddle in it as soon as the last stitch knot is tied. Your new one looks fabulously fun! You are so good with all these bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Castles! A beautiful choice of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finish - great color. SuperNova Scotia - brialliant name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Horizons Quilt!! Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the quilt and the fabric. Had the layer cake also

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful finish Lesley - I love the colours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colours in your finished quilt Lesley - it's just gorgeous and congratulations on the finish! I hadn't seen the supernova quiltalong - it looks like it will be another great quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Lesley, it's so pretty! I have the pattern and fabric but just haven't started Yours is wonderful!! Thank you for the inspiration!! And I think your Supernova blocks are Awesome!! That's another one of those on my bucket list!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Supernova blocks!
    Congratulations on a terrific finish, your Castles on the Horizon is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt!! And the quilting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely quilting. I adore the fabrics in castles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful, Lesley! I love your color choices and the quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SuperNova is SuperNice...glad to hear you're digging into your stash. Better to use it up and replenish than keep stockpiling....at least that's what I hear anyway.
    Love the edge to edge design you picked for Castles, it's perfect for the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need a clothesline to hang my quilts on, though they wouldn't look as beautiful as this one does! Your Super Nova Scotia blocks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilt is gorgeous I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous quilt. The colours against the white are so fresh and vibrant. And the quilting is a lovely finish. Love the idea of your labels with the binding.
    And the new blocks are looking very interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow the colors are gorgeous in your quilt. Love your Supernova quilt blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The quilt is beautiful and the colours are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow. I'm behind in blog reading and just thought to check in with you on the progress of this. It turned out gorgeous and thank you, thank you for using my pattern. I'm loving all the Castles love I'm coming across lately. P.S. do you mind if I share some of your pics on my blog?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!