Friday, September 11, 2015

Framed by Downton

I have been working on several small projects this week, and when I finish one, I start another. Framed by Downton is a little topper/hanger that I finished this week.


When I first started blogging, I won a Go! Baby Accuquilt starter set which included the Go! Baby Value Die. A long time ago, I used the die to cut up the remaining scraps from a FQ bundle, sewed together a bunch of HSTs, and then put everything away for another day. Fast forward a few years and this project was calling my name from its hiding place. I really didn't have much of a plan so I started using the HSTs to make some scrappy stars.


What I did know is that I wanted to make a small project that I could quilt myself. I decided to stop when I had the nine stars made and found a luscious piece of the Dowager Duchess line of Downton Abbey fabric that I had in my stash to border it. 


I finished binding the quilt on Wednesday when I was working at the Artisans Collective Gift Shop at the Port Hastings Museum at the entrance to Cape Breton.  I found a place in the shop to put the quilt and took a picture.



Ten minutes later someone walked in and brought it to my desk for purchase, and yes, I was thrilled that someone liked it enough to part with some of their cash!  

I had attached a small label to the back, used a yellow toile fabric to keep with the gentleness of the quilt, and machine quilted it in my old faithful loop de loop pattern.




Last week's post about my quest for a pattern for another school house block resulted in some wonderful ideas.  I want to thank you all for giving me some places to go to find a new pattern.  I hope to use your ideas and eventually build a new neighbourhood with blue and cream houses!

It's a great day for quilting!


17 comments:

  1. Classic star pattern with some very classy fabrics. It is gorgeous and I can see why it was sold so quickly - lucky purchaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your star pattern, cute fabrics, looks lovely.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have bought it, too...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt Lesley!! You quilt beautifully and could sell our quilts for high dollars! I love how many items you finish and they look Awesome!! You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic stars and the lovely color combo of green and purple. I would have at least drooled over it, if not purchased it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful - no wonder someone wanted to buy it! I am sure it has gone to a good home - it is lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sucker for stars and those fabrics are gorgeous. Even better that you were able to sell it almost instantly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt and congrats on the sale , that is awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty quilt. How wonderful that someone felt the same and purchased it so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty quilt. I'm not surprised that was picked up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first, but certainly not the last, visit to your blog! I think I have an idea for a pattern for your stencil houses. Do you have a finished size in mind? I'd love to brainstorm with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned into a delightful little quilt. How fortunate to have a use for the HSTs and then to find the perfect Downton fabric to use with it. Obviously it must have been wonderful because it sold immediately!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet little quilt! No wonder it sold so quickly! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So here you are. I don't know what's happened that you don't pop up on my list with a new blog post. I am going to follow you again and see if that helps. This quilt is a darling. Little wonder you had no trouble at all finding it a new loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Precious! And what an accolade to have someone just snatch it up like that! Congratulations on the sale! I love making these smaller pieces for practicing my FMQ and gaining confidence. What's next on your magic machine?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was not a fan of the line of fabrics, I just could not visualize it in a quilt that I would like but you have made some gorgeous quilts with it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!