Friday, September 4, 2015

Schoolhouse Blocks

I fell in love, once again, with a quilt designed by Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts. It is a variation of her schoolhouse quilt, Homestead, where the houses are all made in her gorgeous blue and cream fabrics and the rows are offset. She used this as her block in the 2015 Designer Mystery Block of the Month by the Fat Quarter Shop.  You can see a picture of the quilt HERE

Long story short, the roof uses templates, and I am not an advocate of templates. I tried three times, used seam rippers a lot, and just couldn't manage to make the houses where the eaves matched the walls! So, I sewed the three blocks together and made a table runner for the "back to school" season. Woodworker Hubby, myself, our two children, and my three sisters all started off as teachers, so the runner will bring back many school house memories. I just hope the houses don't fall down! 


I used the runner as a practise for my free motion quilting, using my infamous loop de loop design with a few hearts along the way. Much more practice is needed! 


It was also a wonderful project to use some of my stash fabrics. I love being able to open a cupboard door or take the lid off a tote and find just what I need. 


Can you help me out? I would still like to make a version of Edyta's quilt, but I want to stay away from templates and still keep the idea of the stencil-look for the two-colour house. I have searched the net and haven't been able to find exactly what I want. If you have any ideas for me, I would be forever grateful, especially if it's a free pattern! 

In keeping with the house theme, I made a couple of Fall table toppers/wall hangings, using the house block from Kaaren's The Painted Quilt Mystery QAL. 



I used a very simple cross hatched quilting design.


I love the Fall colours so this should brighten up a corner of the house, although it looks a little faded in this picture. 


I put a couple of houses together for a quilted welcome sign for my mom's new apartment. The little 12" hanger was purchased at The Covered Bridge Quiltery in Riverview, New Brunswick. They have lots of designs and different sizes so I know I'll be back! 


It's a great day for quilting!

27 comments:

  1. Wonderful little quilts! They are all lovely. I wish I had a pattern for you for the stenciled house. I think I would try to draft something that could be pieced. Good luck! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lesley, love the houses, looking great!
    Be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How clever sweetie! Love house blocks and your smaller quilts using them are just a wonderful touch to your own home as well to gift on to someone for that 'homey' touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you're keeping busy with Christmas and fall designs. Sorry, but I don't have an answer to your dilemma on the roof situation. I'm sure your welcome sign to your mom will be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lesley,
    wonderful school house table runner and fall houses wallhanging.
    Oh Dear, how would I sew the school houses, by hand or perhaps paper pieced. But there are so many seams when PP is used, guess handsewing them would be my choice.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.whimsandfancies.com/schoolhouse/ Is this what you're looking for? I love what you've done with your houses so far!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, sorry. I didn't read closely enough to see that the above was paper pieced. I have a pattern for schoolhouses, but it doesn't have the stencil effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know whether or not Sunny's link was what you wanted, but I sure appreciated it. You could even use it as the basis for a regularly pieced pattern, measuring and cutting pieces out individually without foundation piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your school houses and houses look great. Good luck with finding the pattern you want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your school houses and your house hangings . Your mom will love her welcome banner . Sorry I don't have a solution for the school house pattern .

    ReplyDelete
  11. The end results of your House project couldn't be any sweeter! I love Edyta's patterns. I also love the idea that you took one block and made it into such a cute wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://www.mccallsquilting.com/content_downloads/House_Block_15076.pdf is a 'stencil' style 2 color house block for free. Hope it's okay to post the pdf link here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quilt in a Day has a "stencil" style schoolhouse quilt/block book that is currently on sale for $1, buy several and share with friends. No templates--strip piecing.
    Book is called Schoolhouse Wallhanging and is available here
    http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/book/620

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always loved any blocks with a school house theme and your are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lesley,
    I made a School House quilt for my daughter and her new husband...they are both teachers. I drew up a paper pieced pattern that worked well...blocks finished at 12". If you would like a copy let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the schoolhouse block, and to be honest with you, I Made some up several years ago for a school quilt and had such a difficult time with them that I've never made them again! So good luck with that! Yours look great. Love your clever little house wallhanging. Your mom is going to love the cuteness you came up with for her. You are always thinking! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your colorful fall houses. How about if you pieced the window/door section and the chimney section and then appliquéd the roof sections onto a piece of the background fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely work on these gorgeous house quilts. The blue and cream looks lovely in the runner. So do the Autumn colours. And the Welcome hanging for your mother is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Three lovely projects Lesley. The little welcome sign is so cute but I love the larger Autumn hanging. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Swoon! Anything with houses makes me light-headed, in a good way, of course.

    Love them both, my friend. The colors are sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the school houses but have never been brave enough to try them. Templates? Oy vey! Yours are gorgeous though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Andover fabrics has the house block you are looking for....free.

    ReplyDelete
  23. House quilts are some of my favorites! And seeing yours reminds me that I have a stack of schoolhouse blocks stashed away somewhere - I should get them out and do something with them! Lovely projects Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lesley, your little school house runner looks great, and the hanger for your mum is gorgeous. I cant help you with ideas for a schoolhouse block sorry, I haven't actually made any ..... yet!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love house quilts! They can be very modern while keeping that old school feel. Now I want to make houses...

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was my very first quilt love!! A school house...I always wanted to make one. ...and after all these years I have still not made one...I guess I have always thought it lends its self to the traditional side...and as you know I havent been traditional in many years. LOL!!! but I still love the pattern. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. There's just something about houses and barns that draws us in - and these designs are so wonderful! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!