Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Couple of Baby Quilts


Early in September, my nephew's wife had a baby girl, so of course, I decided to make a quilt for the new addition.  I had some lovely pink and turqoise flannels in my stash and added a sweet elephant novelty print for the giant star in Star Bright.




This is a free quilt design by Kate Blakesley that you can download at Swim.Bike. Quilt. The pattern was so easy and the entire quilt took only a couple of days for me to make from start to finish. I love how the start is offset, kind of a modern take on a traditional quilt! 


I used a serpentine quilting stitch, about two inches apart, so the quilt would be nice and soft for baby.


I decided to piece the back to add a little interest.


Going from pinks to blues now, my new grandson is almost four months old and of course I had to make one more little quilt for him. This is a small one, about 36"square",  perfect to use as a play mat or a stroller blanket. I used a rail fence pattern and managed to use many of the flannels I had already used for his bibs, burp cloths, etc. 


This one is even more cuddlier than the others I made him and also matches a receiving blanket I made earlier.


Loop de loop machine quilting was my choice, with another pieced backing added of full of fun novelty prints!


I suppose it won't be long before I am making him a big-boy quilt!

Thanks so much for coming by to visit today. Hope you enjoy the weekend ahead.  I'm looking forward to a wonderful weekend of family visiting and lots of turkey!


It's a great day for quilting!


23 comments:

  1. Your Star Bright is awesome. It's on my to-do list of quilts to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two lovely quilts for wee ones.
    So fun to have a new grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them both - sweet quilts for those wee ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilts, where does the time go? Hope Alison is fully recovered now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both such cuddly quilts that will keep the babies warm and cuddly . Great job as usual .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, what sweet little baby quilts. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving Lesley. I usually forget that Thanksgiving is earlier in Canada than here in the USA. Both baby quilts are darling! I'm so glad you have been able to get back to lots of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving to you, Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lesley love the quilts, so bright. Happy Thanksgiving! Have a lovely long weekend with family. Hugs Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable quilts, Lesley! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these little cuties. You know we always say a pieced back makes it modern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely baby quilts Lesley.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet quilts Leslie! Happy Thanksgiving! Gobble til you wobble! See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two happy babies, coming up! Lovely quilts, Lesley. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy your family's visit. XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful baby quiilts; they look so cuddly and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are both delightful little quilts. Love the idea of being able to use what you already have, for both the front and back. I am sure they will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very sweet for the new kidlets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What precious quilts Lesley, they are both so cute! Better start thinking about that big boy quilt.....time goes by fast!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your baby quilts look great, Lesley, they are both very cute and I'm sure will be well loved and used.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those baby quilts are adorable! My grandsons have so many quilts from me. I think my daughter might soon ask me to stop sending them to the boys! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. Two lovely cuddly quilts. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!