Thursday, October 1, 2015

Charity quilting with the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild

What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday! Last week I travelled to Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, about 3 hours from home, to spend the day making charity quilts for The Lodge That Gives, a place where cancer patients and their families can stay while undergoing treatments in Halifax. I am using some pictures President Adrienne took that day, but please visit the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild blog to see more pictures and learn more about the day. I am using Blogger on my iPad to write this post and can't figure out how to insert a link...sorry...perhaps you can google it? 

These are the quilts that were either finished by the end of the day or waiting for quilting.

Adrienne tells us 8 quilts are the result of the sew day. Members donated batches of 8.5" unfinished HST blocks, using a shade of grey on one side, and one of about 4 or 5 colours for the other side. 

I arrived with my portable Sew Ezi table and my trusty little travelling Janome.


My friend, Linda, top of the picture, who blogs at Scrapmaster, is always an inspiration to me. She had her blocks ready in no time, put the pedal to the metal, and quilted away!  Adrienne, who took the picture, was on the other side of me. She quilted her quilt using wavy lines and it was exquisite! 


It was a super day and I so enjoyed meeting everyone that day! 

It's a great day for quilting! 

20 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea and how fun a day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That totally looked like fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were able to make it to a Sew In. We always have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great achievement and what a wonderful cause.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great day sewing for a worthy cause.
    Ironically, I am at home today working on a gift quilt using large HSTs, one side of which is grey. I am so out of my element with this modern stuff. I'll take inspiration from the quilts you've shared here. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project! So many designs can be made using the HST's. Glad you had a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilts for a beautiful cause, love the shot of them on the line :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so happy and industrious. Beautiful quilts on the line, and for a good cause. That is a wonderful way to give your time and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Guess what? I'm done! Wavy lines complete, binding done tonight and in the dryer right now :) So great to meet you this weekend. I hope there are more sew ins in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great day sewing for a worthy cause. You and Linda look very entertaining. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being a cancer survivor who stayed at The Lodge That Gives, I know those quilts will be appreciated by the guests that have to stay there while receiving their treatments. Most of us staying there lived several hours from home so any semblance or reminder of the comforts of home I know would help ease the burden. A heartfelt thanks to you and the other members of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild for their time and generosity in this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a great day, I enjoyed meeting everyone, finally :) Good laughs with you Lesley... can you see the design? YES I see it! LOL I'm thinking not many could ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wasn't this a great day? So glad you made it, wish you were closer and able to be with us all the time. It was so nice to hang out with you for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful, giving day! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It just goes to show how much can be achieved by a group working together. Love seeing the end result.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great way to spend time with friends and what lovely quilts you made for your charity. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous day! I am still recovering! Wasn't it just the best? I finished up my quilt and hope to post about it soon. Can't wait to hang them in Amherst. See you soon

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is wonderful and I'm sure you had a great time. The quilts are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow those are some gorgeous quilt. You ladies did a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What fun....love love the quilts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!