Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Super Nova Scotia and Sunset Ridge Quilts

I really love Blogland. It is like opening a box of chocolates every day. I may not post as much as I used to, or comment as much as I used to, but I still use it constantly for inspiration, ideas, and patterns.  This week was such a successful week for me. I finished sewing together my Super Nova quilt top, a free quiltalong design offered by Lee at Freshly Pieced. You can read more about it on a previous post HERE


I decided to make the 9-block version, using a 3" border instead of the 5" border to finish at 58" square. I figure this way the quilt will work as a cuddle quilt, a couch quilt, a dorm quilt, or even a
" bottom of the bed" quilt. So many ways to use a quilt! Now the fun begins as I think about how I will quilt this baby, a quilt I am affectionately calling my "Super Nova Scotia" quilt! Those blues, greens, and even the reds and oranges are all the colours of Nova Scotia on a crisp fall day. 



The next project I worked on was making a charity quilt for Victoria's Quilts of Canada. This is an organization that provides handmade quilts for people who have cancer. They are always looking for donations of quilts, quilt tops, fabric, or time, so I figured the best way I could help from my little town was by making a quilt from start to finish. I went online to get the quilt specifications and decided to make a 50" x 70" quilt for an adult. There is a VQC branch in Nova Scotia around Amherst and I will be getting in contact with them soon to arrange delivery. 

The fabric for the quilt was ready and waiting. Last year I made a Triple Barnstar Quilt with a kit I purchased from Craftsy using Free Spirit Birch Farm fabrics by Joel Newberry. (At the time of this writing, the kit is still available for purchase at a very reduced price HERE.) There was so much fabric left over, and all so coordinated, that I cut it up in 2.5"  x 8.5" strips and put the fabric away. Last week I found a great quilt pattern in the Moda Bake Shop by Chrissy at Sew Lux Fabrics called Sunset Ridge Quilt. It was a quilt that used strips so I adapted the pattern just a tad to make my version of the quilt using my strips and some white tone-on-tone I had in my stash. 


It was such a fun quilt to sew together, piece by piece. 


Soon I had three rows and I was liking what I was seeing!


I stopped at 6 rows because that made the quilt the proper size, leaving me just a few leftovers to put towards something else. I sandwiched it on the deck one day, trying to make sure there were no fallen leaves getting caught between the layers!


I chose to quilt Sunset Ridge with a serpentine stitch on my Pfaff Expression 3.5, using stitch # 62 with a 9/50 setting. I stitched in the ditch from top to bottom and am really pleased with the results. 
Here are a few closeups to give you a better idea of the quilting.



VQC require that quilts be backed with flannel, so I used some tan Woolie flannel and stitched the binding by machine so the quilt would last through many washes.


I am so pleased with the final quilt and hope it will be loved and well used by its new owner.


Thanks so much for coming by today. It's a great day for quilting!

20 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt! I'm sure it will be much appreciated. The colors are just very pretty and calming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of you rleft over - made for a very sweet quilt that is sure to wrap hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 totally different quilts, very colorful and a peaceful one, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great quilts. It's funny, but I was thinking of making the Super Nova quilt too. You've put your leftovers to good use. Two quilts from one kit. - not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lesley – I love your quilts! The Super Nova Scoita quilt is absolutely stunning. And the Sunset Ridge Quilt will delight the new owner. Thanks for sharing. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lesley,
    both quilts are beautiful. Congratulations on these wonderful finishes.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both quilts are beautiful! I like the quilting you did on the second one...what a great gift it will be to someone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Lesley, I'm in awe! Both of these quilts are showstoppers! You did an amazing job choosing the colors for your Super Nova Scotia quilt - such talent and skill. And I'm sure that it's the color placement on your Sunset Ridge that makes it outstanding. The recipient will be over the moon! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not that I have to chose, but I'm not sure I could if I had to. I love both of these quilts... one is complex and interesting and the other is interesting without being quite as complex...
    Good work Missus! Such a great feeling to use up leftovers and scraps... they kind of get out of control sometimes making any dent in the scrap basket a bonus! The recipients of these two will adore them....
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous quilts Lesley! Both! I really love all those bright colors in your Super quilt top. It's beautiful eye candy. Your cancer patient quilt is so lovely. It could cure cancer all on its own. So generous of you to give so much of your time for such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are both gorgeous. I love the Super Nova quilt, but find such a calming affect when I see the cancer donation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super Nova Scotia--love the design, the colors, the name! Great quilt!
    And you've made a lovely donation quilt--happy colors with lots of visual interest.
    Beautiful work all around!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saved the Super Nova quilt directions too. I need more hours in my day, and to not play on the internet as much. Love your charity quilt it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great work with your Super Nova. I do love the fabric colours and the way you have used them. I agree that it is a quilt size that can have many uses.
    And well done with the VQC quilt. That is a great result from fabric leftovers. Love the layout and the quilting.
    Looks like a very productive time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both of your quilts are so pretty! I can't believe how big the blocks are on your Super Nova - wow! And the serpentine quilting you did is perfect for the second one - I'll have to see if my Pfaff has that stitch too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilts Lesley and whom ever receives your quilt will be thrilled ,it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two lovely pieces Lesley. I love the colours in Nova Scotia - it's going to be gorgeous. Sunset ridge is great to and I am sure will be wll loved by it's new owner. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like them both. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Supa Nova Scotia is beautiful Lesley, I love how the blocks glow with your choice of colours. And the VQC quilt is a beautiful finish, the recipient will be delighted, I'm sure! Enjoyed seeing your post about the visit to Amherst - looks like a very inspiring time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!