Saturday, November 7, 2015

Sprigs and Twigs and Hexies Too!

Another day dawns in my sewing room with the sun streaming through the windows and the temperature above normal. It is the perfect day to finish up a quilt top so I can get it on the clothesline for a picture. Today I hope to finish the Kim Diehl quilt I am working on. I adore Kim's designs and have several of her "Simple" books, but this pattern for her "Sprigs and Twigs" quilt is available through Fons and Porter's online shop HERE


Of course, I have adapted the design just a tad, starting with the size. I am keeping it to a cuddle size quilt so made 9 blocks instead of 16 for the quilt using red and white 9-patches for the centres and a variety of scraps for the frames. 


One of the reasons I fell in love with Kim's design was the wonderful applique on the wide borders, but I also love the look of hexies. I have been making scrappy hexies for some time now so had quite a batch on hand so decided to use them for the border instead. I tried several layouts on the deck, in fact, the fallen leaves kind of played havoc with my impromptu design wall!


Once I decided on a layout, I pinned the hexies in place and went to the sewing machine. I am using a smoky invisible thread with a blanket stitch which seems to be working really well. When I do machine applique, I always use a light fusible interfacing on the back side to give more stability to the applique. 


I still have a few more hexies to stitch in place, but I am sure loving what I have done so far. Thank you, Kim, for the quilty inspiration!


As you may have gathered, this is the perfect quilt design to use up those bits and pieces from past projects.


Now I just have to figure out how I will quilt it when it is finished.  I am thinking of combining walking foot straight stitching with echo quilting around the hexies in the border, but that will be a decision for another day.

It's a great day for quilting!





22 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful quilt! I love using my leftover scraps in a quilt. (I want to say use UP my scraps but there are always more!) I like your ideas for quilting this. Can't wait to see it finished. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I LOVE this! So my kind of quilt. Just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look wonderful and is such a great idea for all of those pretty hexies. It makes a perfect cuddle quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea to appliqué hexies onto the border. That is one fabulous quilt ... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Kim Diehls patterns and fabric too. THis is a great finish Lesley. I esp. love the hexi border.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hexie flower border is awesome, Lesley! Love the look of this all around scrappy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a clever way to enhance the border! Love this pattern, and love that you are personalizing it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your logcabiny style blocks but the random hexie flower border is just brilliant! Love it all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness, Lesley, you've come up with another beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely design adaptation Lesley, very inspiring,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your use of your hexies in the border. It's beautiful. Nice and scrappy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's just Beautiful! I would love to make a quilt with this pattern someday. Your colors are just Perfect and the hexies are the Best idea. It's going to be a treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim Diehl's quilts are based on simple, traditional blocks, but there's something special about her fabrics and the added applique features that make them unique--and recognizable. Such a lovely quilt top you've made!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Kim Diehls designs and her quilts always look so rich and color saturated.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! That would be a finish for me....:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scrappy, hexies and Kim Diehl...it can't get much better than that!

    Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is looking lovely. There are so many possibilities with the way this design could be used. What fun to be able to play with all your hexies in the border. I look forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lesley, I can't remember your new cutting tool. Can you please remind me so I can check into it. I watched a video about the Martelli ERGO cutter. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Lesley,
    what a wonderful project. Love the colors you selected.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't sew hexies, but appliqueing them sounds like something I would take on. I love how it looks around the edges of your quilt. The fabric colors make this a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE the hexies and your quilting plan sounds great

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!