Of course, I have adapted the design just a tad, starting with the size. I am keeping it to a cuddle size quilt so made 9 blocks instead of 16 for the quilt using red and white 9-patches for the centres and a variety of scraps for the frames.
One of the reasons I fell in love with Kim's design was the wonderful applique on the wide borders, but I also love the look of hexies. I have been making scrappy hexies for some time now so had quite a batch on hand so decided to use them for the border instead. I tried several layouts on the deck, in fact, the fallen leaves kind of played havoc with my impromptu design wall!
Once I decided on a layout, I pinned the hexies in place and went to the sewing machine. I am using a smoky invisible thread with a blanket stitch which seems to be working really well. When I do machine applique, I always use a light fusible interfacing on the back side to give more stability to the applique.
I still have a few more hexies to stitch in place, but I am sure loving what I have done so far. Thank you, Kim, for the quilty inspiration!
As you may have gathered, this is the perfect quilt design to use up those bits and pieces from past projects.
Now I just have to figure out how I will quilt it when it is finished. I am thinking of combining walking foot straight stitching with echo quilting around the hexies in the border, but that will be a decision for another day.
It's a great day for quilting!