Thursday, November 19, 2015

Tula Pink Flying Geese Quilt

* Updated with clothesline pictures! 

It's always busy these days in my sewing room. I'm working on several projects here and there, having such fun every morning when I wake up and decide which project to work on. It really just depends on my mood, whether I decide to work on a project that takes time to figure things out, or a project that is simple enough that I just sit and sew.  

My latest quilt was totally inspired by the fat quarter bundle of Tula Pink's "Elizabeth fabric" I purchased last year.



 I googled Tula Pink quilt after I got them home, found the free down loadable pattern called Misdirection Quilt HERE , and quickly decided this was the quilt I wanted to make. I even purchased some yardage of three different Kona solids to make the quilt as close to the original that I could.

The next thing I knew, my mind was changed and I decided to leave the Kona solids in my stash and use a bundle of creamy FQs instead.  What a bundle it was! I have tigers, circles, text prints, buttons, scissors, and more sewing notions all mixed up with my flying geese! I call my quilt "Lost" because those poor flying geese are definitely lost in those snippets of Tula Pink fabrics!



I adjusted the size a little as well, reducing it from the original 56" x 80" to finish at 56" x 64". I'll try to add a better clothesline picture to this post later on if the weather improves. (Updated already, though I wish the sun had been shining!)

Piecing the quilt was the easy part. I made 8 flying geese from each of the Tula Pink FQs I wanted to use combining them with the neutrals I thought worked well, plus made a few extra geese along the way. The hard part was finding space to lay out the quilt top as I went along. I ended up using the quilted side of a flannel tablecloth as my design floor and literally "dragged" the layout from my larger living room floor to my smaller sewing room floor and then sewed each row together.



In fact, because of the space restrictions, I could only sew half the quilt together at a time. I labelled all my rows by using fusible interfacing to write the numbers on and pressed onto the right side. The row numbers peeled off easily when I had everything sewn which definitely helped reduce errors.



I used a bit of a plan with the colour families, the greens, blues, and pinks. I saved the "Elizabeth selfie" fabric to use on the back. 



I plan to use straight line quilting for this one. I am adding
"Lost" to my to-quilt pile and will totally enjoy looking at those prints again when I take it out to quilt. Thank you, Tula, for creating such a fun batch of fabrics to use in my latest cuddle quilt!






Tula's fabrics even look great from the back!



It's a great day for quilting!







23 comments:

  1. That looks fabulous! I love the blocks of color you created with the geese and those prints are much more interesting than the solids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful quilts you make! I love how you share your thoughts about the process and like to put your own 'spin' on things. Your love of quilting shows through; an inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo many flying geese....not my favourite thing to make. But this looks awesome. Great fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love flying geese and quilt full of them AND Tula Pink's fabrics is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never used any Tula fabric and I am surprised you have - we are such predictable heritage quilters. Love geese and this is just awesome - just says FUN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your newest quilt top, Lesley!!! Wonderfully happy fabrics and you've mixed them perfectly. I love seeing you mixing up your favorite heritage prints and whimsical modern prints to enjoy the wonderful world of both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Sharon, I was a little surprised to see Tula fabrics here. But what a fun quilt, and you have chosen a great name for it. : )
    That was brilliant to lay it out on a tablecloth back and drag it to your sewing area!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am working on three different projects today and now I want to stop everything and make this one! It is gorgeous! You did such a great job with the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Lesley! It's g-g-g-gorgeous! What a fun way to break out of the box! I'm personally not a fan of Tula Pink fabrics, but when I see this quilt, it's love at first sight! I'll have to rethink my likes and dislikes now! Well done! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lesley, your quilt is just amazing, love how you grouped your colours together. What a fun group of fabrics. I enjoyed listening to Tula this past year in Sisters. She is such a lovely lady. Enjoy this beauty for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! Lots of movement so straight line quilting will be perfect. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun collection of fabrics and you really did an amazing job of putting them all together .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous quilt, all the colors, and love your neutrals that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lesley,
    wonderful combinations of fabricprints and colors. Love it, makes the top so interesting.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it looks great Lesley - I love the way the geese fly in different directions and the fabrics are gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this Lesley! And thanks for the link to the pattern :) It's always exciting to get another pattern I just gotta do! And Tula Pink's fabrics are sooooo nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE this! I need to make a flying geese quilt pronto! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with everyone else, this is a super quilt. You must have enjoyed working with that fabric. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely love this quilt! The fabrics are great! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it turned out great and I love that you used such fun colors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a fun quilt Lesley! The combinations of all the fabrics makes for such an interesting quilt too - not lost at all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lesley, I love this look. You are rocking the modern quilt style!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the quilt pattern link. I actually wouldn't have downloaded it if I hadn't seen yours first. I like it much better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!