Sunday, December 6, 2015

Hanging of the Quilts and Lots More

Today is the perfect day to decorate the house by hanging my Christmas quilts, with the sun shining in and the Christmas music playing, the Christmas spirit will definitely embrace our little house.



Usually, I start my decorating on December 1, but this year I was away on a short visit to see this little guy, our almost 6-month old GS.  You can see he was on his best behaviour, admiring his quilt, or was he examining the stitches? 



The visit was very short, with no visits to quilt shops or blogger friends...sorry, Sue...but it was a fabulous 6 days of hugs, smiles, a few diaper changes, time at a few malls, and a wonderful morning at the International Craft Market at Spruce Meadows in Calgary. Giant Jim Shore Santas were all around us!


In anticipation of my trip, I made a few more appliqued bibs. The favorites are the bandana bibs but I forgot to take pictures of the ones I made.




I always like to surprise DD and SIL with a few Christmasy items, so I gifted them with a Merry Christmas hanging and a modern tree quilt.




I crosshatched the red background fabric and then fused the letters in place. The fabric decal is by The Creative Iron designed by Nancy Zieman which I picked up awhile back in Riverview, New Brunswick at The Covered Bridge Quiltery.



The tree was one of three designs in a panel I purchased in Maine last summer called Joy and Wonder designed by Cori Dantini. I thought the tree would work pretty well with their modern surroundings. Again, I crosshatched the panel and attached a sleeve for hanging.



Now that I am back in my sewing room, I am continuing with the Christmas theme. I made a little fabric gift bag the other day and used it for a door prize and filled it with goodies for the Ocean Waves Quilt Society's general meeting held in Port Hawkesbury yesterday. With this particular bag, you make the pattern from a paper bag you have on hand. Laura from SewEasy has a great video on how to make this. Just click HERE. Laura used Soft and Stable but I used a fusible interfacing instead and made fabric handles.





Today will be a little low key as I hang the quilts later, but I did finish a flannel quilt top this morning. I woke up way too early so sewed my last two rows together to finish this one. Flower Patch Flannel fabrics are by Maywood Studio.  They offer several quilt patterns by fabric designer Bonnie Sullivan using her preprinted flower blocks and coordinating fabrics. You an find them all HERE. I made my quilt a little smaller, about 50" x 60" and used a scrappier selection of her fabrics. I just hung the top on the line. See! No snow here!



A little closer look at her yummy fabrics!



I have quite a bit of flannel in my stash and lots more of those pre-printed flower blocks, so may make a few more quilts similar to this one over the winter.

That's it. You are now caught up on what I've been up to. Thanks so much for coming by and enjoy your day!



17 comments:

  1. Such quilty goodness! Missed yesterday's meeting but I'm sure it was fun. Glad you were able to travel out to visit your GS and his parents, and that you had a good time. It's always fun to go away, but it's always great to get back home. Love your quilt top, Lesley. You sure know how to pick them! Enjoy the remainder of the day. On a scale of 1 to 10, for Cape Breton in early Dec., this one rates right up there! Looks like I'll miss snow all together! Yay! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many treasures to re-visit with the season. Oh, the wee one is growing so fast! The flannel quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, I love it all Leslie! I thought I would be seeing all your Christmas quilts hanging. You fooled me. LoL Baby on his grand quilt is so cute. Love both modern tree wall quilts. And the flower one as well. Very cool fabrics in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOur flower patch flannel is wonderful....almost as wonderful as all the grandma hugs!!! Have fun decorating today.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That elephant quilt was amazing! Just beautiful Lesley!! Your grandson looks adorable. My 4 GKids were here for Thanksgiving. I cried when they left. They grow so fast. I sure wish our loved ones didn't live so far away. Merry Christmas Lesley to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post Lesley...how cute is your wee Grandson. I would have tried to fit that Jim Shore in my suitcase lol! Adore his Santas. Beautiful stitching too x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the link - I love that bag! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grandson is enjoying his quilt which must make your heart sing. Beautiful things to see as usual. I love Merry Christmas Tree hanging, and the tote is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilts - thanks for sharing. I'm headed over to see the pattern for the bag. Your grandson is growing - so glad you were able to spend some time with that precious little one. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grandma time--what fun!
    Big Jim Shore Santas sound like a lot of fun. : )
    Oh, that quilt is lovely. When you get mine done let me know--I'll send a shipping label. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi love, Merry Christmas from Spain… I see you've been busy lately… GS is really growing fast and it seems you had a very nice and special days with the family.
    I love all your jobs but I get in love with the one you made for DD and SIL… it's really pretty!! I liked too the bag for the presents so I went to it to see the tutorial, thanks!!! :o)
    I wish you a very nice Christmas and Happy New Year
    … XOXOXOOXOX ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. How special you had the opportunity to spend a few days cuddling your dear little grandson . Love the wall hangings you made for your daughter and hubby . Great gift bag too , you have been super busy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have had a very busy time. What a wonderful time to spend with your grandson and family. Love seeing him playing on his quilt.
    I have never seen Jim Shore pieces as big as the one in your photo. They are amazing.
    Your have made some gorgeous goodies for Christmas gifts. And the flannel quilt top looks so warm!!
    Good luck with all your work with hanging the Christmas quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awe he is so cute on his quilt. So glad you had a chance to visit and do a little hugging and snuggling. Your quilt is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ots of quilty goodness...what a cute quilt your GS was on... I am sure he was thinking "When I get big, I am going to make a quilt too!"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ots of quilty goodness...what a cute quilt your GS was on... I am sure he was thinking "When I get big, I am going to make a quilt too!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Lesley, you've been busy! I love the bib with the appliqué`d tie! and the Christmas wall hangings - both of them, are really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!