Thursday, November 19, 2015

Tula Pink Flying Geese Quilt

* Updated with clothesline pictures! 

It's always busy these days in my sewing room. I'm working on several projects here and there, having such fun every morning when I wake up and decide which project to work on. It really just depends on my mood, whether I decide to work on a project that takes time to figure things out, or a project that is simple enough that I just sit and sew.  

My latest quilt was totally inspired by the fat quarter bundle of Tula Pink's "Elizabeth fabric" I purchased last year.



 I googled Tula Pink quilt after I got them home, found the free down loadable pattern called Misdirection Quilt HERE , and quickly decided this was the quilt I wanted to make. I even purchased some yardage of three different Kona solids to make the quilt as close to the original that I could.

The next thing I knew, my mind was changed and I decided to leave the Kona solids in my stash and use a bundle of creamy FQs instead.  What a bundle it was! I have tigers, circles, text prints, buttons, scissors, and more sewing notions all mixed up with my flying geese! I call my quilt "Lost" because those poor flying geese are definitely lost in those snippets of Tula Pink fabrics!



I adjusted the size a little as well, reducing it from the original 56" x 80" to finish at 56" x 64". I'll try to add a better clothesline picture to this post later on if the weather improves. (Updated already, though I wish the sun had been shining!)

Piecing the quilt was the easy part. I made 8 flying geese from each of the Tula Pink FQs I wanted to use combining them with the neutrals I thought worked well, plus made a few extra geese along the way. The hard part was finding space to lay out the quilt top as I went along. I ended up using the quilted side of a flannel tablecloth as my design floor and literally "dragged" the layout from my larger living room floor to my smaller sewing room floor and then sewed each row together.



In fact, because of the space restrictions, I could only sew half the quilt together at a time. I labelled all my rows by using fusible interfacing to write the numbers on and pressed onto the right side. The row numbers peeled off easily when I had everything sewn which definitely helped reduce errors.



I used a bit of a plan with the colour families, the greens, blues, and pinks. I saved the "Elizabeth selfie" fabric to use on the back. 



I plan to use straight line quilting for this one. I am adding
"Lost" to my to-quilt pile and will totally enjoy looking at those prints again when I take it out to quilt. Thank you, Tula, for creating such a fun batch of fabrics to use in my latest cuddle quilt!






Tula's fabrics even look great from the back!



It's a great day for quilting!







Saturday, November 7, 2015

Sprigs and Twigs and Hexies Too!

Another day dawns in my sewing room with the sun streaming through the windows and the temperature above normal. It is the perfect day to finish up a quilt top so I can get it on the clothesline for a picture. Today I hope to finish the Kim Diehl quilt I am working on. I adore Kim's designs and have several of her "Simple" books, but this pattern for her "Sprigs and Twigs" quilt is available through Fons and Porter's online shop HERE


Of course, I have adapted the design just a tad, starting with the size. I am keeping it to a cuddle size quilt so made 9 blocks instead of 16 for the quilt using red and white 9-patches for the centres and a variety of scraps for the frames. 


One of the reasons I fell in love with Kim's design was the wonderful applique on the wide borders, but I also love the look of hexies. I have been making scrappy hexies for some time now so had quite a batch on hand so decided to use them for the border instead. I tried several layouts on the deck, in fact, the fallen leaves kind of played havoc with my impromptu design wall!


Once I decided on a layout, I pinned the hexies in place and went to the sewing machine. I am using a smoky invisible thread with a blanket stitch which seems to be working really well. When I do machine applique, I always use a light fusible interfacing on the back side to give more stability to the applique. 


I still have a few more hexies to stitch in place, but I am sure loving what I have done so far. Thank you, Kim, for the quilty inspiration!


As you may have gathered, this is the perfect quilt design to use up those bits and pieces from past projects.


Now I just have to figure out how I will quilt it when it is finished.  I am thinking of combining walking foot straight stitching with echo quilting around the hexies in the border, but that will be a decision for another day.

It's a great day for quilting!