Sunday, January 3, 2016

Georgia on my Quilt

Happy New Year! Hope all is well and that many of you are embracing the new year with family, friends, and fabric. We are quilters, after all!

I had the wonderful opportunity over the holidays to make a little quilt for a sweet little gal. She was moving from her crib to a toddler bed so the quilt didn't have to be too large. I used several fat quarters of Ladybug Garden fabric by Riley Blake and some polka dot fabrics as accents. The cutest little ladybugs, bumblebees, and flowers are travelling all over this quilt with a couple of appliqued daisies embellishing the letters.


To quilt it, I machine quilted it on either side of the stitching lines and halfway in between the bricks. I switched to free motion quilting using a tight loop de loop so that the letters would pop. 


The quilt is about 36" x 54" so was small enough to pin baste on my dining room table. I have been in the habit of spray basting my quilts but decided to go back to pinning for this one. 


It was super quick to pin and to protect my table, I used a Scovill Dritz foldable Deluxeboard that I have had for over 20 years. It sure comes in handy!  


I knew I wanted to feature Georgia's beautiful name on the quilt and was having a dilemma on how to make the letters.  I went online before Christmas, looked around at "letter" quilts and books and decided to order "Quilt Talk" by Sam Hunter. The book is filled with Quilt Talk inspiration, 12 designs, and comes with the paper pieced patterns for the alphabet, numerals, punctuation and symbols.


I found the idea for the quilt at My Sew Called Life HERE and adapted it a bit regarding the size of the bricks and the finished size. With snow on the deck, I couldn't manage to get to the clothesline so hubby held it up for me in the kitchen so I could take some pictures.


The quilt was packed up, mailed away, and arrived safely within a couple of days. By all reports, the quilt is being enjoyed and cuddled by Georgia. I also included a small doll quilt made using the same fabrics because dollies like to be cuddled too!

What am I working on today? I just started to machine quilt my Twigs and Sprigs quilt which you can read about HERE.  Again, I pinned it and it seems to be coming along pretty well. 



Thanks so much for coming by. I have a little note to Janie from the bus tour...if you are reading this, thanks for your sweet comment on my last post. I wasn't able to reply to it, but I certainly enjoyed hearing from you! 

It's a great day for quilting!

23 comments:

  1. Pretty quilt, Happy New Year Lesley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your baby quilt. You are a great quilter. Well done. And the one you are working on of Kim Diel is wonderful. I really like that pattern. I haven't blogged for a while. We had company over the holidays. Take care, Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun baby quilt! The last two I made, I included the baby's name on the BACK of the quilt - but this is a great idea too! Looks like you're accomplishing a lot right now. This is the time of year when I seem to get a lot done myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great toddler quilt - Georgia will enjoy it for years and it can become a lap quilt when she is bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Georgia is a lucky little girl to have such a sweet quilt to cuddle under . Have fun quilting Twigs and Sprigs 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Georgia's quilt is just darling. I see lots of snuggle ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet quilt. I love the letters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors in your quilt. I see you have been very busy. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt Lesley, wondrful colors and nice quilting.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect pretty quilt for little Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet quilt. Love the simplicity of the design that lets the name really shine.
    Your Twigs and Sprigs quilt really speaks to me. I'm trying to ignore it because I don't need another project, but I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so adorable. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Georgia is one lucky little girl! I absolutely love the font you chose to showcase her name. I'm sure she'll love it for years to come. Especially since her dolly has one to match! You sure know how to make everyone feel extra special! XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Georgia's quilt is darling! I'm sure she and her dolly love their new quitls. I love the happy colors and the quilting you chose. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a special quilt! Love that you did the lettering. Just wonderful! Georgia and her dolly are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a sweet quilt! I especially like how the name turned out - thanks for the resource.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty quilt. Love the use of the text for the name.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This little girl will treasure her quilt! It's great! I really like the simplicity of the "bricks"...good way to show off some fun fabric. I'll file that in my idea bank for future Stashpocalypse reference. ;)
    That book intrigued me too...saw it at a Sew In one say, I think Adrienne has it. Great inspiration in those pages!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is an adorable quilt! It will be snuggled under and treasured always.
    Happy New Year my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a lovely quilt for Georgia - gorgeous colours. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!