Saturday, January 23, 2016

QOV Flying High

What a great feeling, to finish the Quilt of Valour that I blogged about last week HERE , hang it on the line, and snap some pictures. It wasn't quite so great to have to plow my way through the snow drifts to get to the clothesline!  There was a bit of a path going along the side of the house where the wood is piled so I stopped there first. That was the easy part.


The hardest part was finding the steps underneath the snow to get to the back deck and the clothesline. And did I mention the wind?


I had to wait and wait for the quilt to "fall" in between the gusts of wind.


But patience finally paid off...



I machine quilted an edge to edge design with swirls, which, as a beginner at this, I like to call "Wonky Swirls". They can only get better, right?


QOV prefers that you make a presentation/pillow case to go with the quilt. Knowing how tricky it is to carry a quilt in a pillowcase, I decided to peruse blogland and found a great idea at Amazingmae for a Roadtrip Pillowcase with handles. I used the Easy Tube Pillow Case method by Jenny Doan of the Missouri Star Quilt Company on Youtube HERE to make the case. Then I used Amazingmae's idea for the handles, but shortened them to 12" and used a 14" strip of Velcro at the ends. When filled with the quilt, or a pillow, it is ready to go! 


Today I am working on a VW Beetle quilt. It is a 20 block quilt and I now have 7 blocks quilted, so I better put the pedal to the metal! Here is a sneak peek. Anyone else remember those "bugs"? When I first started dating Woodworker Hubby in the 70's, he had a purple bug!


It's a great day for quilting!

22 comments:

  1. That gives "Airing of the Quilts" a whole new meaning. That quilt really wants to go to a member of the Airforce! Thanks for the pillowcase info! Our Quilt show requires quilts to be transported in a pillowcase...those handles would make all the schlepping much easier for everyone concerned. I think I'll set an example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt! You sure worked hard for that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza! You are so clever, not to mention inspiring! Hey, is that new snow fall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your QOV quilt is beautiful! There's no stopping you...through rain, sleet, hail, and SNOW, you will deliver the photo! I agree with Nancie that your quilt is meant for a member of the Airforce.

    I had a green beetle bug and it's name was Stanley...which somehow became my nickname for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is magnificent!! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love your QOV quilt and your just had to get a 'blowing in the breeze' photo of this one. We had a yellow bug and a blue/white van.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finish Lesley, the quilt looks so nice.
    Love the layout of your beatle quilt.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt, and love that you quilted it yourself. Love the VW bug. During the 2015 Row by row one of the shops had a VW bus in their row it is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww... a beetle bug! That was my first car. Loved it.

    Your pillowcase idea is a great way to transport the QOV quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pictures of your QOV - brave lady! I love your beetle block xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt looks wonderful blowing in the wind . Love the vw beetle so cute 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt looks wonderful blowing in the wind . Love the vw beetle so cute 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on the finish - great pics!! The bag for the quilt looks perfect for the job. Love that VW block!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks amazing blowing in the wind and on the snow! I love the colors in that quilt! Great idea for a pillow or quilt holder. I've never seen anything like that before. Love the bug, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilt looks magnificent out in the snow. Love your little bug quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It felt nice and cool here in our heat to see your snowy shots...brrr! Your quilt is beautiful and what a fantastic solution with that neat handled pillow case. We were a family who,owned several VW bugs...love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That quilt knows it has flags and just needs to wave in the breeze. : )
    Very clever pillowcase idea!
    How well I remember the bug. In the 60s my family had one. Five of us went on family vacation in it. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lesley!
    I cannot wait to see more of your VW quilt! I'm a hippie at heart and my very first set of wheels was a powder blue bug! I currently drive a newer model beetle! I'm considering a quilt like yours! It looks awesome! Very nice QOV also! Take care! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the bug.....I drove my Dad's when I was a teen........many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, love your quilt!! Stunning as always!! The pillow case idea is one I may borrow...most clever! Happy Monday😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic finish. What a wonderful result. But it sounds like it was more work taking the photo than actually making the quilt!! But the snow does make a lovely setting for your gorgeous quilt.
    Love the bugs! This will be a fun one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!