Saturday, January 16, 2016

Quilt of Valour

* Edited on January 17. I found a little more information about the pattern designer so added it below. 

Today I am putting the final border on a quilt that will be donated as a Quilt of Valour. This is a program that supports " our Canadian armed forces members past and present, with quilts of comfort in their time of need."  The program originally started in the USA and is now in Canada. 



I had heard about the program a few years ago and started hoarding a collection of red fabrics to use. When I found some Northcott Stonehenge Oh Canada 4 flag fabric designed specifically for QOV,  I was ready to roll!



Northcott has designed many fabric lines with several free patterns that use their Stonehenge Oh Canada fabric. This is the design I started with for the centre of my quilt, using the three flags surrounded by pieced flying geese blocks. This quilt was designed by Elaine Theriault for Northcott using fabrics from the Oh Canada 4 fabric line. She has a great blog at Crazy Quilter on a Bike so please visit her often to be inspired!



I only had the flag fabric from Oh Canada 4, so had to adapt everything else. After I made the centre, I added a few borders and then changed up everything! I wanted to use maple leaf blocks for one of the borders. I googled the block and found lots of free patterns for a 6" finished block. I made the stem the easy way. I cut a 1" wide strip of fabric 5 inches long for each stem, pressed the long edges in 1/4", sewed the stem to the square close to the long edges, and squared the block.  Easy peasy! 



I used about 6 different red fabrics to make the blocks with a variety of creams for the backgrounds. Here are my first six...




I laid out the blocks first this way with all the blocks arranged facing up but it wasn't to my liking.



Then I rearranged the blocks so the leaves travelled in the same direction all around the quilt and that is what I decided on. 



To keep the corner maple leaves from running into each other, I used a cream block with a red centre for the corner blocks and surrounded it all with a red print border.



I have another red border to add, but I didn't think the weather would cooperate for a picture later today. The quilt will finiah around 56" x 68", a cuddle quilt size. Tomorrow I hope to sandwich the quilt and will start machine quilting it. When finished, I will make a pillowcase for it and send it off to the Nova Scotia provincial QOV rep in Halifax. She will attach a special label and will see that it is passed along to a new owner. 

Both my father and my father-in-law served in World War II and are no longer with us so I really wanted to do something in their memory. Quilts of Valour-Canada was the way I could help.  They have a goal to have 10,000 quilts made and donated by 2018. To date, over 6,000 quilts have been donated, with one more soon to be ready! Please visit Quilts of Valour-Canada if you would like further information on how to donate a quilt or if you know someone who you feel should be a recipient of a quilt. If you live in the USA, the link for Quilts of Valor is HERE

It's a great day for quilting!






24 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning, Lesley! You're always the girl with a plan! Wish I could be more like that! There is a vet out there who will be over the moon to receive such a beautiful, patriotic quilt. Well done! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fabulous, Lesley! Love that you put your own spin on this quilt. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very stunning quilt indeed! I love that Norcott designs fabrics for causes. Our guild has been working with the Wounded Warriors project as we have a local group now - some of our members have gifted to the USA QOV as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is gorgeous. It is so striking! And it will be cherished by a QOV recipient. The QOV program is a great project. I have donated in the USA. There are often tears of appreciation at the presentation- very moving. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful and is going to such a great cause. The letters our guild receives back from the recipients of ours are always quite emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What at stunning quilt! I think the changes you made to the pattern are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always continue to amaze me! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is beautiful, Lesley and you are right, such a good cause. Love the way you changed up the pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your QoV is beautiful. I am very involved with our local chapter of QoV here in MO. We have made and handquilted over 2,000 quilts in our group alone. We meet twice a month all day and sit around quilt frames to complete them. There are over 100 of us and 2 men. It is a very good cause and they are so appreciative of the quilts. Yours is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely way to honour two important men in your life.

    Thanks for sharing your resources and design process with us Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful quilt. We have the same sort of thing here called Aussie Hero Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a great quilt. I've been wanting to make one but didn't know what pattern to use.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have incorporated the panels well and made up a lovely finish. Such a worthy cause, and it sounds like you have good reason to support it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful quilt. I do like the way you have used the leaves in the border. You really have made the most of the great fabrics. This will be a stunning donation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the layout you have chosen Lesley - someones going to love this. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilt, Lesley! Love the crisp, graphic look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful program and quilt Lesley. Very nicely done.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those maple leaves Lesley - good job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely quilt. You did a fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lesley, Your Quilt of Valour is beautiful! I still get goosebumps with every quilt I see. I can visualize the reaction of the soldier or Veteran who will receive this quilt. The Maple leaf, especially the one on our country's flag is something that every Veteran and serving member of the military feel deep in our hearts whenever we see it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!