Monday, January 11, 2016

Sprigs, Twigs, and Hexies Too

On  the weekend, I finished making one of my all-time favorite quilts.


I call it Sprigs, Twigs, and Hexies Too. I was inspired to make this quilt after seeing Sprigs and Twigs made by quilt and fabric designer Kim Diehl. The pattern can be found in her book Simple Appeal and also in the April 2013 edition of Fons and Porter magazine Love of Quilting.

I adapted Kim`s design a bit by making the quilt smaller and changing the appliqued border to a hexie border, hence the name Sprigs, Twigs, and Hexies Too! 


The centre of the quilt came together very quickly, by sewing strips around the 9-patch centres. As for the hexies, I had most of them made, just waiting for a project. I took my time appliqueing them onto the quilt top by machine with invisible thread.


I wanted a soft quilt, so I stitched an X in the centre of the 9-patches and then used stitch in the ditch for the rest of the blocks and around the centre of each hexie, with a row of echo stitching around each hexie. 


I was going to use a black binding but at the last moment, changed it to a rust and I`m so glad I did. 

 `
The quilt is about 54" square, perfect as a cuddle quilt, wall hanging, couch quilt, bottom of a bed quilt, bed topper...it can be so many things! 


I am always so excited when I finish a quilt. I think it is because now I get to start something new!

It's a great day for quilting!


26 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Lesley! And I think the binding color was a good call, too.
    Who wouldn't want to cuddle with this quilt? So cozy looking. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just lovely!! I do like the mix of log cabins and the hexie border - very homey feel to the whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely one, Lesley. Rich, warm colors, very inviting. I too like to make my binding a different color to frame the finish. Wishing you a great creative winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is lovely, it will be a fabulous addition to any room. Do you always finish every project before starting another? I have so many unfinished projects and hope to have many finishes this year. Did I mention that I love the fabrics you used in this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new quilt is definitely a keeper! I love the way you have used the sprigs, twigs and hexies. You definitely made the right call on the binding. The quilt looks so inviting and cozy. Congrats on the finish. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful, I love how it turned out. The hexies are a wonderful addition that really make the quilt. Great job! Toni Anne ;->

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Kim's designs and your version is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh it is beautiful. I love it....what a great finish x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beauty Lesley,
    congratulations to this finish.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning as usual. I spied the binding right away, just love it. Time to get out there with your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this quilt!!! and I love that you used the black for the background :0) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous. I really like the simplicity of the blocks. They work really well. Great decision with the hexies in the border. They look great.
    This is a wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty quilt. Love the hexies, and the rust color binding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful, Leslie! I love your color choices!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YIKES I love this quilt! Heading upstairs right now to find my book with the pattern in it. You know I'm a Kim Diehl fan and this one is now on my list. Love your hexie variation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is so lovely and looks so nice and warm. I think the addition of the rust border is wonderful. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice indeed. It looks so cuddly too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can easily see why you would mark this beauty as an all time favorite. It just calls to you to come snuggle under it doesn't it? If it doesn't then you aren't listening! Yay for quilt finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lesley, this looks lovely! Mine is still in the drawer! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's a lovely finish Lesley. The colours are gorgeous and it was a great way to use up the hexies. I love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Lesley, another beauty! You just blow me away! XO

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a warm and inviting quilt. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love it Lesley!! I've been ggoing through Kin's books lately trying to decide which quilt I want to do this year! PS the rust binding was very inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!