Saturday, January 30, 2016

VW Beetle Quilt "Road Trip"

It was a great week in my sewing room! I finished my VW Beetle quilt and hung it on the line for some pictures.


The design was inspired by Cindy Cooksey's Road Trip pattern which I purchased online at Jukebox Quilts HERE. She put together 9 VW beetles in a wallhanging, but I decided to make my quilt larger.  I wanted to use my stash of Kaffe Fassett fabric for the beetles. You may recall I first used some of it with my Super Nova Scotia quilt.



I also had dozens of HSTs in my stash that were made as "extras" as leftovers from the Super Nova Scotia quilt.  I joined these together into blocks of 25 and used them as the alternate blocks.



For the machine quilting, I used stitch in the ditch for the HST blocks.


I had machine appliqued the beetles to the white background with invisible thread and chose to do an echo quilt design around the beetles using white thread.



I used straight line stitching for the borders to give the illusion of never ending roads, mirroring the "road" quilting underneath the beetles. The finished quilt is about 46" x 56". It has taken its first road trip, in between snow storms this week, and is now located in the Cape Breton Centre for Craft and Design. I call my version, "The Places You'll Go". 

So many of us, in my generation, have VW memories. I have two. I practiced learning to drive on my sister's boyfriend's (now her husband) VW. I had no problem with driving it forward, but once I got into the bushes, I had to run  across to the local tennis court to get him to come back and show me again how to reverse it!  My second VW beetle memory is when I was dating my boyfriend 
(now hubby) in university. He was on his third VW when I met him. This one was painted bright purple. Unfortunately, while I was dating him, his front passenger side/seat was being repaired so when he picked me up for our dates, I had to sit in the back seat while he chauffeured me around! Oh the memories! Do you have a VW story? How about sharing it in your comments or emailing it to me at lcarruthers3atgmaildotcom.

And just so you know, it always seems to be a windy day when I finish a quilt!

 

It's a great day for quilting!

34 comments:

  1. This came out fantastic! The fabric choices for each of the VWs are perfect. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! The Places You'll Go is a perfect name! It is so bright and fun. I need to expand my Kaffe Fassett stash - it's quite small yet as my local shops don't carry it yet. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. It came out great. I did wonder about all of those half square triangles though. What a lot of work. Your quilting is superb.
    VW beetle was my first car. It was the Super Beetle version and in royal blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Beetle Quilt is fun and colorful. Great job on the quilting. Sorry about the wind; but love how you display the quilts outside for photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaffe is perfect for a VW bug quilt. Love the little cars, but all those HSTs make my heart pitter/patter - love playing with these things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little bugs are so adorable. The Kaffe fabrics are perfect "flower power" for your quilt. It turned out great looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great VW Beetle Quilt ! LOVE IT !

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are on a roll with terrific finishes this year... wowzer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My very first car was a VW Beetle - bright orange with a sun roof! Oh, what fun I had in that car! Great memories - and what a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful quilt Lesley and great to get those HST's for free! I don't think I have ever been in a Beetle - now a Morris Minor - well that's a different story! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bright Kaffe fabrics are a perfect fit for the beetle. Maybe even more so if these had been VW buses--which were often painted in those bright designs in the 60s.
    I told you about our family taking vacations in a VW beetle. Remember the cargo hold in the back? That is where I often sat as we traveled--in the days before seatbelt laws. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this quilt is so fun!!! Yep....I had a bug, rabbit and beetle bug. Loved my VW's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. In high school our home economics teacher loaned me her VW to take a classmate home for something she had forgotten for class. I was the only one who knew how to drive a straight stick. No problems getting there but, I couldn't find reverse either! Reverse on my Jeep was up and to the left, the VW was down and to the right. No wonder I couldn't find it. My friend's mother had to come out and open a gate so I could make a circle in the field so we could get back to school. Fun times. 50+ years ago ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great VW story! Thank goodness the gate was opened for you! You showed as a no-reply, so I am replying to your comment here. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  14. Love this quilt and your fabric choices

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing says groovy VW bugs quite like Kaffe fabric. You have the perfect pairing in this quilt. And I'm a big advocate of using leftover triangles is future projects. Another perfect pairing, Lesley. Love it!
    I don't have a VW story, though I'm a baby boomer who was in college in the 60's, and my initials (before marriage) were VW, so I really thought I should have had one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great quilt! Perfect pairing of fabric with the design too. I had three VWs, through university and my first career opportunities. There were some winter mornings in Calgary when the little heater could not keep up with the cold and I was driving to school with the windows wide open to keep the windshield clear. I wax nostalgic sometimes but I remember being pretty happy to move on to Honda after my third one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your wonderful comment and VW story! Yes, I remember those heaters too...never enough heat to defrost! You came up as a no reply, so I am replying here instead.

      Delete
  17. What a fun quilt. Sure does bring back fun memories for you. Aren't those quilts the most fun?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh look at that cute and beautiful quilt--what a lovely job in did in making it and to use up leftovers is even better--
    love and laughter, di

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your quilt and your memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a fun quilt. Loving the fabrics in each VW and the HSTs. Sounds like you had a few trips down memory lane as you made this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely finish Lesley, congratulations to this beauty.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done on the gorgeous finish Lesley, a colourful beauty! Sorry there were no VWs in my past!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the VW quilt - using Kaffe fabrics was an inspired choice! My best friend in high school dated a guy (now her husband) who drove a VW. One time he parked it in an impossible place outside her bedroom window. I lived one house down and remember the laughs it inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so fun. You did a great job. Awesome fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the quilt Lesley, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The quilt turned out fabulous. Love the Kaffe Fassett fabrics which were used. When I was a kid my parents had a VW bug. On the way to church my little brother sitting on my mom's lap in the front seat, GASP! My dad decided that it needed a bath and went to take it through the local car wash. As going through the high pressure from the water, and the blower that kind of dries the car off, water was shooting out the vents into my mom and little brother's face.

    My first car that I owned was a yellow super beetle. It had what they called clutchless shift, it all worked on a vacuum system. Darn thing was always breaking down on me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. love your VW quilt and yes it brings back memories. We had an old VW in the 80's and the person in the passenger seat "seemed" to have pedals too, they could rev the engine while it was idling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by and leaving such a great VW story! Lots of memories! You are a no-reply so I am leaving my message here.

      Delete
  28. Another beauty, Lesley! There's just no keeping up with you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it! Our first car was a VW when DH was still in college. We were poor then but were still able buy a brand new car! Now, we never buy new cars.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is adorable and brings back lots of memories. I had a VW Karmenn Ghia in high school and my boyfriend had a VW bug. Sweet cars!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!