Saturday, February 27, 2016

Nova Scotian KT Layered Star

In late January, I noticed that Lynne Hagemeir, designer of  Kansas Troubles fabrics for Moda, was hosting a four week "Stitch With Me"  project on her blog HERE.  The mini-quilt was to be made using mini-charms and some yardage using Lynne's layered patchwork technique.



 I have always loved KT fabrics, had a few in my stash, and decided to supplement my fabrics before I started the project. It's not always easy to get to a quilt shop in the winter, but Canada Post does wonders! 


Between my new purchases and what I had in my stash, the fabrics came from three different Nova Scotian quilt shops: A Needle Pulling Thread in Digby, Mrs. Pugsley's Emporium in Amherst, and Quilting on the Mira in Sydney.  Now you can see why I call it the Nova Scotian KT Layered Star!


The quilt measures 29" square and uses a variety of easy blocks made with Lynne's technique of layering the fabrics and sewing primarily along the pinked edges. The centre star was a breeze to make...






and the checkerboard frame came together quickly.





The flying geese were so much fun!





How could I resist pinwheels?


 Once it was put together, I machine quilted it in a cross-hatch pattern.


I didn't start the project until all the four posts were published. Then it was just a matter of a few days until the quilt was finished! If you want a fun project, visit Lynne's blog for the instructions HERE.

After that I decided to play with some Woolie Flannel charm packs by Bonnie Sullivan. I made HST's out of them using some neutral yardage I had, added a border, and have a little cozy lap quilt just waiting for the quilting!





This quilt measures 50" x 62" and was a great way to put those charms to work! 

Thanks so much for coming by! It's a great day for quilting!

 

17 comments:

  1. Wow, you've been busy. The picture of the Layered Star quilter pulled me right into this post. It is beautiful. I really like the HST quilt also. Your fabric choices are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Nova Scotian KT Layered Star is fantastic! I love the way the tiny pieces are put together. I would never have thought to use the pinked edges as a design feature. My head is now spinning with possibilities! Your Woolie Flannels look bright and cuddly. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! You HAVE been busy! Your layered star quilt is gorgeous and the HST is perfect and looks so cozy...the kind of quilt the 'kids' will fight over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I;ve seen this technique, but never tried it. You have a lovely piece finished. I like the woolie project, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to get those fabrics and mix them up! Looks like a technique I need to try sometime. Love minis, and yours is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both quilts are gorgeous. I think I'd cuddle under one, while admiring the the other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are just beautiful! Your colors give wonderful dimension! Well done and oh so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love KT fabrics, too. Great little quilt!
    HST quilts have really been on my radar screen lately. I made a small one last year and gave it away. I need to make another. I'll bet that is so cozy in flannels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finish on the Nova Scotian KT Layered Star! I will have to go check out Lynne's blog, I am intrigued with her process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The layered star is a very different way to put blocks together but I do like the end result. It looks lovely. Great way to use those fabrics.
    And the HSTs in the flannel look warm and welcoming. lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful project. I love small quilts and yours turned out great. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great and beautiful quilts...you were a busy lady! I made a quilt like your HST one and loved how easy and quick it went together. I need that kind sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There you go again! Making more beauties! XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Busy girl! Hey, what a fun technique to utilize the pinked edges! I love it. And don't you just love those woolie flannels?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both quilts , you have been super busy ! Fantastic work ☺

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!