Saturday, March 5, 2016

Four Patch Stars

We are having a March storm today, so a perfect day to stay inside and play in my sewing room. I have a little more space in there since I finished putting together my latest quilt, "Four Patch Stars".


This picture was taken last week, when the snow had melted. I love Jenny Doan's tutorials from the Missouri Star Quilt Company so I started looking through them for the perfect way to use a layer cake.  The Four-Patch Stars was just what I was looking for HERE. I had purchased the 10" squares of Petite Prints by French General with some yardage from Darlene at A Needle Pulling Thread. The fabric has been hiding since last spring so it was time for it to see the light of day. The colours are very muted, almost vintage, and the reds, browns, and creams were just what I needed for a "gentle" quilt. It is a pretty large quilt for me, finishing at 76" x 92" so this one will be travelling to Sydney to be quilted by Ange of Quilting on the Mira.

The hardest part for me when making this top was to choose the inner border. I looked at three choices and went with the last. When you are shopping from your stash, sometimes you just have to go with it!




I have the binding all made and ready to go when the top is quilted. I have a small collection of vintage spools that I used to have on display before I had an "aha" moment and realized I could make them useful!

Before I go I want to tell you about my latest gadget acquisition to make life easier for me because I have a wrist, arm, and shoulder that just tire too easily when cutting! I had purchased a Martelli rotary cutter a few years back and enjoyed it immensely, but either from misuse or overuse, it seemed to jam up on me after awhile. The company sent me a replacement spring but I hadn't tried it out when I saw another cutter that caught my eye. I had to have it...such a pretty blue!  


It is called the Truecut Rotary Cutter and you can even personalise the handle!


I do love my gadgets! If you are looking for a Nova Scotia source for the Truecut Rotary Cutter, I was talking to Beth at Mrs. Pugsley's Emporium in Amherst, NS  and she has an order coming in so give her a call if you're interested!

And that's it. Time to go sew! It's a great day for quilting!



19 comments:

  1. That is a lovely looking rotary cutter. I'd be interested in how it works for you. I also had purchased a Martelli and spring popped off almost immediately. I could never keep it on after that and it eventually disappeared altogether. When I reached out to the company to get a replacement spring, I never heard back from them other than to be put on their mailing list. I was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this information! I will look into it. Your quilt is just beautiful! I think you chose a great inner border for that lovely quilt!! I enjoy your posts so much. You are a favorite of mine. I spent the last 2 weeks in Texas and am now home to get my quilt quilted. I'm trying to decide which thread weight to use. I'm leaning toward a 28 wt just to see the thread. Best wishes to you my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Jenny Doan of MSQC is just wonderful! Thank you for the reminder! I just got a layer cake of The Potting Shed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, The Gadget Girl strikes again! Your quilt is stellar (pun intended)! Ange always does such a nice job on your quilts, I'm sure this one will be no exception. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely star quilt. I especially like the sixteen patch in the stars. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a great love for star quilts - this is just lovely and thank you for the 'blowing in the wind' photo - I do love them. We are to have some snow tonight and then it is going to jump into the 60's for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your star quilt! I threshing rotary cutter , I'd be interested in knowing what you think of it and whether it is easy on your shoulder and wrist .

    ReplyDelete
  8. That should have read interesting lol .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your new rotary cutter. I use a Martelli - I think I have 3 or 4 and have caused the death of a couple from overuse. I haven't seen the TrueCut before. Love your Four Patch Stars and your choice for the inner border. I really like Jenny Doan's tutorials and patterns. My new issue of Block came today - I'll look at it after dinner tonight. Hope your storm is over... ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt Lesley. I love the use for your spool...I will have to try that. I love your new rotary cutter. I get a very sore shoulder and ended up with a headache from cutting...think that's why I favour applique xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Petite Prints from French General. I have a bunch I plan to use in a mini--someday! : )
    Your quilt is lovely. The 16 patch centers to the stars are really a fun touch.
    I have that rotary cutter, too. I also have one of the rulers with the ridge to it that this cutter works with to keep your cuts straight, but I never use them together. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  12. p.s. Now I want to go to an antique mall and find a spool to use for your clever binding storage idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous quilt. I have a bunch of those spools. But I don't make my binding until I am finished completely with the quilt and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quilt looks great and I'm glad you found a cutter that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lesley, your quilt is lovely, how's Baby? When are you over here next?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great choice of pattern for these fabrics. Lovely to see the top blowing in the breeze with the stunning blue sky behind. Hope you got through the storm okay.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the quilt!! And the colors are just my favorites... What are you playing now with??
    Kisses from sunny Spanish coast ;o) (don't be too jealous)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Gentle quilt is beautiful, I love the colours/fabrics you have used. Neat photo of it blowing in the breeze! That cutter sounds great, I have a friend who needs something like this so thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a Martelli cutter, but mine looks different than that. I love mine! I also have a couple of those cute little spools, too. What I don't have is that beautiful quilt! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!