Saturday, March 12, 2016

Hugs

Can you think of a better name for a flannel quilt than "Hugs"? When I was sewing on the binding of this one, all I could think about was cuddles and comfort, exactly what you get from a heartfelt hug, so I present to you, "Hugs".

You saw the beginnings of this quilt on Feb. 27 HERE. Earlier this week, when I was between projects, I decided to make this a finish. I always google quilts similar to mine to get some ideas on how to quilt it before I start my stitching and after being inspired, decided to do a double grid checkerboard pattern combined with diagonal quilting lines.



Here is a look at the back.


The quilt is so cuddly!

I figured that with such a scrappy quilt, it would be a good idea to make a scrappy binding.  I sewed leftover strips of the different fabrics together in no particular order, using 6" and 8" strips. I made the binding 2 1/4" wide, machine stitched it in place on the front, and hand sewed it down to the back.


I can honestly say I have now made a small dent in my flannel stash! The sun came out yesterday afternoon, after a morning of light snow flurries, so off I went to the deck for a photo session.


I couldn't resist laying the quilt over our deck furniture. A little too chilly yet to open up that swing!

Of course, the wind came up as I was hanging the quilt.


After its flight on the clothesline, I put it to rest.


What am I working on today? Scrappy 5" churn dash blocks. I had some extra 2" HST blocks left over from another project so I decided to put them to good use for a mini-quilt.


Thanks for dropping by to visit. It's a great day for quilting!







20 comments:

  1. Hugs is the perfect name! Your quilt is gorgeous and looks snuggly. The quilting and scrappy binding are perfect. Isn't it fun to use your stash? Looks like great weather there. Looking forward to seeing you mini churn dash quilt. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well named! It looks very warm and cuddly. You did a lovely job quilting it, too! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my kind of quilt!!! Just LOVE!!! Of course you need a wind photo - a Lesley finish must.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wind is your nemesis when it comes to taking quilt pictures. Great quilt and the colors are fabulous. Looks so cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous scrap-happy quilt and the name says it all! I have to make one of these, after all... we could all use a HUG!!:o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect name for your beautiful quilt, Lesley. It does look comfy. Straight line quilting can't be beat. It's my favorite and makes any quilt a cuddly quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt ... and so aptly named. And the simple quilting is perfect for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a warm hug, and I'll bet it feels like one, too!
    I like how you have quilted it.
    And I love the little mini quilt in the works. You know I love minis and churn dash is one of my favorite blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's Awesome!! I have seen that pattern and just love it. Your quilt is wonderful and your border perfect! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Hugging quilt is beautiful Lesley. a wonderful finish!! Those minis are extra cute too :-) Interesting to see the changing landscape in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hugs is a great quilt. I like how you quilting it...simple but yet just the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely finish to the flannel quilt. It does look very warm and snuggly. And it looks like you may need it outside with that cold chilly wind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've used that very same flannel for my husbands quilt! Oh don't ya just love a flannel quilt. Your quilting accented this one perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love this quilt. It is plain pure and simply huggable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It definitely looks like a very cuddly quilt! I love the look of double rows of quilting - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hugs the perfect name. I love all of the hst's.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is perfectly named. It looks like the type of quilt that would be perfect to cuddle up and hug my Monkey Boys. Sweet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nicely done and I agree, it wouldn't be a proper Cuddle Quilter photo shoot without a windblown shot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful finish Lesley, bet the flannel is cuddly.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!