Saturday, March 19, 2016

Mini Churn Dash

One of my favorite things to do is to make a quilt using leftovers from another. When I made my Quilt of Valour maple leaf blocks awhile back, I had a whole bunch of HST blocks left over. I decided to trim them down to 2" and put them together with my red and cream scraps to make a mini! Here she is, Mini Churn Dash!



She is 23" x 28" and definitely too small to be a cuddle quilt, but I do think she'll work as a table topper or a wall hanging! She's too small to hang out on the clothesline for one of my windy pics, so I had to settle for the woodpile.


The deck is looking very weary from the winter, but the mini brightened it up!



This is what the deck looked like earlier in the week when I finished the flimsy.



I loved the way the quilt top looks beside the melting snow...



Although the deck is almost clear of snow now, there are still a few white patches in the background. Unfortunately, I hear a rumor that a snow storm is on the horizon for early next week. 



I used a cross-hatch to quilt it. I often use this when making traditional quilts.


Nice to have a finish, even a small one! Thanks for coming by. It's a great day for quilting!



24 comments:

  1. As you already know, this quilt is a fabulous use of leftovers. I love the reds and creams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your quilt is gorgeous. Great use of the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love when you get a 'bonus' project from left overs. This is just beautiful - no, we don't want this one lost to the winds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mini! It is a gorgeous way to use leftovers. The reds and creams are a great combination and the cross hatch quilting is perfect. I'm ready for spring but we also have snow in our forecast. Hopefully these next storms will be light and melt quickly. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet and such great colors. Minis are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, two of my favorite things--mini quilts and churn dash blocks. What a winning combination you have there. It is SO sweet!
    The challenge of using up one project's scraps in another little project is always fun, I think. You met this challenge very well. Your post left me with a big smile on my face! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. It may be too small for a cuddle quilt, but it would work for a baby to lie on the floor or in the stroller. I heard that nasty rumour about a storm as well...not happy.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's adorable, Lesley! I'm on a churn dash adventure, too. Mine are of the wonky variety. So much fun to make! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite colors. It looks beautiful, especially against the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Large or small - a finish is a finish! It's lovely Lesley, very striking against the snow and the woodpile is a great place to photograph it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is beautiful Lesley and your quilting is perfect for this traditional pattern !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute little Mini finish Lesley, just so cute.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally lovely! Great way to use these leftover HSTs.
    More snow!! Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret! Your email doesn't come up, so am replying here. Have a great day!

      Delete
  15. always enjoy this pattern, you brought it to life...looks like winter is still visiting you....
    psst..we are heading to the east coast...yep...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's really beautiful in all the photo settings!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another gorgeous little quilt. You have been very busy this month.
    I love them all. I need to be more like you. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful finish Lesley! It is very satisfying to make a quilt from leftovers isn't it? I love all your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful finish Lesley! It is very satisfying to make a quilt from leftovers isn't it? I love all your photos too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!