Saturday, March 26, 2016

Yet Another Flannel Quilt

Happy Easter! Hope you are enjoying this time of celebration with family and friends, and if your company happens to sleep in, maybe you'll get a chance to play in your sewing room, just saying...

We seem to be having a prolonged winter here in Cape Breton, so I decided to play with some flannel again while the air is still cool. Once more, I used some leftovers to create my new quilt.  When I was making my Flower Patch Flannel quilt awhile back HERE, the stars were made with a flip and stitch method for the flying geese units resulting in left over triangles.  Of course, I sewed these leftovers together to make some HSTs and put them away in my sewing closet for another day. Pat Sloan has a great tutorial on how to make them HERE. Anyway, long story short, I took out my HSTs, squared them to the size I wanted, and sewed them together into pinwheel units.


Them I sewed the units into 10 blocks! 


I have to tell you right away that the colours in my pictures are very "off". Most of the fabrics are from Bonnie Sullivan's Woolie Flannels, so have a peek here at this video if you want to see the beauty of the "real" colours HERE.



Once the pinwheel blocks were made, I fussy cut the flowers and framed them with a variety of leftover fabrics.



Then I started to play around with the blocks to see what I could come up with.



I decided to make a variation of a row quilt, with the pinwheel rows on the top and bottom, and the scrappy framed flowers in between.


The last step was to sew the borders on and Ta Da! 


The quilt finishes at 45"x 60". I have the backing to piece and then I'll machine quilt it and hang it on the line for a picture. Until then, it's a great day for quilting! 


17 comments:

  1. Adorbs! And Sooooo Cuddly! Imagine That!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? That's a cheater print? The best I've ever seen - darling quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so cozy and inviting! Great use of leftovers--those flannels are scrumptious!! I'd love to cuddle under that quilt, Lesley. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic use of those leftovers , a lovely cosy quilt and with our weather lately it will come in handy .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. I am all for the 'waste not, want not' way of using up trims. You would have missed a beautiful quilt if you hadn't saved them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to use leftovers. It's time for winter to leave!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a pretty fast use of your leftover triangles! Mine often sit for months..or years. That flower fabric is great - is that a flannel too? Your quilt is so inviting. I hope winter leaves you soon! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE how this quilt is coming along! Great layout choice too! Happy Easter Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it is gorgeous! You are very clever...perfect project to keep you busy in your cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous. I want a woolie flannel quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous - what a great top. Happy Easter Lesley. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful flannel top, such a neat idea.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my goodness, you're just so clever. XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty flannel quilt! Hope you had a beautiful Easter day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that setting. Awesome as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is wonderful. What a great way to use leftovers. The fabrics in the pinwheels are lovely and the flower blocks a delight. This is a great result.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!