Sunday, April 24, 2016

Dinosaurs and Elephants

Since our first grandson was born last June, my sewing room has seen the making of many baby-themed projects, including quilts for strollers, car seats and play, receiving blankets, burp cloths, and lots of bibs, both traditional and bandana. Nothing better than sending off a quilty treat to DGS!  That has also meant my stash has grown with a variety of baby-themed flannel, especially boy baby-themed flannels! So even though I said I was putting away my flannels for the year, the chilly weather has kept me inside playing with them. I wanted to make a crib quilt for the shop, the Artisans Collective Gift Shop. You can read about the shop HERE .  The shop opens in mid-June so I turned to the trusty free pattern of Star Bright, grabbed my "boy" flannels and this is the result.


This is the second time I have used this pattern and it won't be my last. The first was made for my grand-niece HERE. The quilt is made entirely from 6" squares, with a few HSTs thrown in the mix to make the star. Within a couple of days, I went from choosing the fabrics to taking pictures of the finished quilt. I used two different dinosaur prints and a funky elephant parade fabric for the star and binding, mixed with my solids of blue, grey and white.


The quilt finishes at 40" x 45" so fit on the dining room table pretty easily for the pinning.


I quilted it with rows of serpentine stitching spaced about 2.5" apart, from top to bottom.




Yesterday was sunny, so I took my outdoor/clothesline pictures then and finished sewing the binding on this morning. 


I wanted it to stand up to lots of washing so attached the binding by machine. 

I'm thrilled that I was able to finish this so quickly and enjoyed making it so much.  Now to get back to a work in progress, like my blue school house quilt. I still have about 20 of the scrappy Irish chain blocks to make to use as the alternate blocks so I better get going!


It's a great day for quilting!






18 comments:

  1. Another cuddly, warm delight. I did NOT bring this cold weather back with me! And I'm not liking it very much! Perhaps I need to invest in some flannel to make one for myself! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are on fire!! Love the dinosaur quilt! Some little guy is going to be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dinos are always popular - perfect cuddle quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great go to pattern and I'll bet the flannels feel fabulous in it. I love those scrappy blues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute child's quilt, and a nice design to keep in your repertoire. Looks soft and cushy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a sweet baby quilt! I haven't made a quilt for the new monkey yet and he's a year old already. I need to get busy! Love the blue school blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This new little quilt is grand! Such delightful fabric prints for a child. Love the school house blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some little boy will absolutely love this quilt! Your fabrics are great. The blue and white school house quilt is striking - love it! Hope your cold weather doesn't last. We are in Missouri for a couple of days - it was 83F this afternoon - quite warm! It feels like summer. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dinosaur quilt is great!
    Schoolhouses and chain blocks--Sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finish! I'm sure it'll be one of the first to go in the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely finish Lesley. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on another great finish and a wonderful way to use up some of those cute flannels. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  13. What cute dinosaurs! Awesome finish. I've used this pattern and will again in the future. And yes, the warm weather is well overdue!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute quilt! This pattern has been on my list to make for a while. I love the colours you used. I'm sure it'll look great in the shop but it may sell quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great result with your flannel quilt. It looks adorable and is such a great way to use the fabrics you have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Satisfying to have a project that whips up so easily and nicely! How lovely it is too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is adorable and I love the binding fabric you used.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!