Saturday, April 2, 2016

Houses,Scraps, Stars, and More

The weather has finally started to warm up a little, but I still think it's a great day to stay inside and play in my sewing room. I am all over the place with my projects. My sewing room is a spare bedroom and the bed has quickly become covered with piles of projects. It may look messy to the non-quilter's eye, but to me, each pile is like a new toy, a treasure to play with. 

One pile is of blue and white houses under construction. I sent 25 of my favorite blue fabrics from my stash  to my friend, Kaaren, of The Painted Quilt,  Kaaren generously donated her time, efforts, and her fusibles to cut my houses out with her Accuquilt Go! die. The houses arrived home safely and I have been pressing them into place on the background fabrics. The blanket stitch embroidery will wait for another play day. Here are about half of them. The blocks will finish at 10" square.



I went online to get some inspiration for my house quilt and decided to use a single Irish chain block as the alternate block. I put together just a few to see what it would look like.



I love scrappy quilts, so will vary the cream backgrounds and the Irish chain blues. This quilt may take me quite awhile to finish, especially since I put away this pile of blocks yesterday and picked up another!  

In mid-April, I will be attending the 1st ever retreat of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild, being held in Truro, NS. I am so excited to be able to play with fabrics alongside these gals!  I have three projects cut and ready to take with me. One project resulted in some left over 2.5" squares that were fairly bright. I started off by sewing a bunch into nine-patches.



Then I added a few more blocks to make a 14" block with 7 rows.  I had seen a quilt awhile back on Rita's  Red Pepper Quilts blog called the Irish Chain Scrap Buster and used it for my inspiration. The quilt has two blocks, a scrappy Block 1:



and a scrappy Block 2 with a structured centre using whites, greys, and blacks.


Now you'll have to use your imagination to see beyond these two blocks...

as that is all I finished and then it was off to another pile of projects.

The biggest pile is the bunch of 6" finished stars I'm making in Darlene's A Needle Pulling Thread Quilt Shop's 52 Week Star Challenge which started in the first week of January. I am so inspired by Darlene's blocks and her "stick-to-it-ness!" I am using reproduction prints following the guidelines that Barbara Brackman posted last year in her Stars in a Time Warp quiltalong. I just finished block 13 so here are a few of the latest stars from the pile. The first block was made using foulards, small prints on the diagonal, the second using indigo blues, and the third using printed plaids. 





I have several more piles including my 6.5" blocks for the Splendid Sampler free Quiltalong. Twice a week, instructions for the blocks are posted, with some bonus blocks thrown in for good measure. I am not making them all, just picking and choosing the ones I want. At the end of the year, I will sure have a lot of 6.5" blocks to play with! There is a great Facebook page where you can see everyone's creations HERE. 






My last block, in hardly any way, resembles Block 11 of the Splendid Sampler. They have a wonderful block that was designed with lots of embroidery resembling a crocheted doily but I'm choosing to use only pieced blocks and couldn't resist playing with this schooner fabric. 

So you have seen just a tad of what's going on in my sewing room. Today, I may leave it all and sandwich a quilt!  Fun to do whatever I want. It's a great day for quilting!



19 comments:

  1. Wow - You have so many projects going on! Your retreat sounds so fun - how many days is it? Awesome that you have three quilts ready to go. I especially like the brightly colored quilt with 14" blocks - can't wait to see more of it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of lovely sewing and wow I am so in love with your houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to see that I am not the only one with many, many projects all going at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy. I love the Irish chain block, and they look nice in both your project. I may steel that idea. The schooner fabric is beautiful; love that block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to riffle through your piles of blocks! So much fun stuff here. Even though I don't venture much into the modern quilt realm, I LOVE your bright, scrappy Irish Chain-ish quilt. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of fun projects going on. Love your house blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is full of pretty blocks and good information and I Love it! I wish my blocks were as pretty as yours! But I keep trying. Your houses are so charming! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - you have some great projects! My favorite is the blue and white houses/Irish chain. I hope you enjoy your upcoming retreat. I am on a retreat right now - it's been a fun few days of sewing with friends. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sewing room sounds delightful. I love your houses and stars. The Splendid Sampler is such good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like you and have so many project going. I also use my extra (guest) bedroom as a store-all for my projects. When my husband comes in there, he just looks at the bed and shakes his head ... he's completely given up on ever having guests actually use the bed ... LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many wonderful things going on in your sewing room! I especially love the house blocks - and what a clever idea to fuse them! The Irish Chain Scrap Buster looks like something I may have to try - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sewing room must look like mine , creative chaos lol . Lots of beautiful projects on the go , I especially love your blue houses !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lesley
    All your sewing looks great, I signed up for the splendid sampler as well! I have been doing some rug hooking as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your houses look great. Can't wait to see it progress. Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks. I haven't even thought about what projects to bring. Guess I need to get moving on that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is wonderful to look through some of the projects you have o the go. It is fun to be able to jump between different tasks. I do find it hard to only have one project to work on at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've been on fire all winter! Great projects, Lesley! And very inspirational! I know you'll have a wonderful, funderful time at the retreat, and I can't wait to hear all about it when you return! I especially look forward to handling all of your new creations for myself. As beautiful as your pictures are, I'm always blown away when I get a personal trunk show! XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow! You've been busy! The school house blocks are appliqued? Who'd of thought? I guess I hadn't really thought about that as a possibility...neat! Looking forward to seeing you at the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh wow! You've been busy! The school house blocks are appliqued? Who'd of thought? I guess I hadn't really thought about that as a possibility...neat! Looking forward to seeing you at the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I grow up I want to make a beautiful house quilt like yours! Love all your blocks! :O)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!