Friday, April 8, 2016

The Last of the Flannels

OK, even though the weather is still not guaranteed to be warm these days, I am ready to put away my flannel fabric stash 'till next year.  My goal this week was to sandwich my flannel quilt that you saw HERE and "ger 'er done", so I did! 


I am always surprised how little time it actually takes me to quilt a cuddle quilt and this one was no exception. A couple of shifts at the machine and the quilt was ready for binding. I had an "aha" moment when I was attaching the binding. Usually I wrap the binding around my vintage spool and put the spool in an empty waste can on the floor. As I sew the binding on, the binding unravels from the spool in the can. This day I decided to put the spool with my binding right on my cone spool holder. Worked like a charm!


I used a stitch in the ditch design as I didn't want to cover those pretty flower patches, and it left the quilt soft and cuddly on both sides, especially with the flannel backing.





I took this picture a couple of days ago and you can still see a few small mounds of snow in the background. I think today's rain has probably taken them away for good.


The pinwheels were dancing in the wind that day. It was too cold to sit on the swing, but soon, very soon, I hope to be able to sit out there without a flannel quilt to keep me warm!


For the next few days, I will focus on getting my projects ready for the retreat next weekend. I am heading away for the first ever Maritime Modern Quilt Guild Retreat taking place in Truro, Nova Scotia. It is a full weekend retreat, but I am only staying the one night as I have some family plans to follow in Moncton. There will be 26 participants at the retreat, with 19 of us participating in filling swag bags for our fellow quilters.  Needless to say, I played around with lots of fabrics in the last few weeks but I'm much too secretive to show my goodies until after the retreat.

I have three quilt projects to go with me, all cut and ready to sew, sew, sew. I know I am bringing way too much, but I sure don't want to run out of things to do!  On Saturday afternoon, we will have a Power Hour of sewing blocks for the 2016 charity quilts which are being made for the IWK Children's Hospital in Halifax, NS. The guild has a goal to make twin-sized quilts for teenagers. We are using a very basic pattern, the Square in a Square, with a finished block size of 9". I have been pulling my brightest and boldest fabrics from my stash and have a pretty good start.


Always lots happening in my sewing room. Hope you are having fun in yours. It's a great day for quilting!



16 comments:

  1. Excellent finish--a very cozy looking cuddle quilt!
    Have a great time at your retreat.
    Those blocks for the children's hospital quilts are very cheerful. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finish. But you need to pull those flannels back out -- heard there is snow arriving tomorrow night. sigh..... Love your charity blocks. I think I have my projects picked out for retreat, but need to gather together the supplies. See you in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ta daaaa! Another beautiful finish! You are going to have so much fun at the retreat! I can't wait to hear all about it. That's a great bunch of ladies! I've been working on my IWK blocks, too. I'll get so many more done when I'm home among my major stash, which won't be long now! Stay warm! Stay safe. Stay sweet! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilt!! Have fun at your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty colors set in the black to make them boldly dance. Wonderful finish. Enjoy your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love this quilt - the pinwheels really do dance! We had snow today but there is none on the ground now - I am ready for spring. Enjoy your retreat - they are always fun. I think you have to take too much - that way you have choices! ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your recently finished garden quilt. Your flower blocks are fabulous. I can just sense its softness made of flannel. Your charity quilt blocks are awesome too. Perfect for teens. Have a wonderful time on your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done on your lovely finish. The flannel is always so warm and comfortable. Your quilt looks lovely blowing in the breeze.
    Have fun at your retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That flannel is so pretty, Lesley, and I am sure it feels heavenly. I like those colorful squares too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is just wonderful and looks so very cozy and warm!! I love your idea of wrapping the binding around a spool when you sew the binding on. I am going to try this since I always get my binding in a big tangled mess when sewing it on (very frustrating).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flannel quilt looks lovely wand warm.

    Love your bright prints and getting an early start on those blocks.

    Have fun at yout retreat and visiting family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your flannel quilt. It's not only warm & cozy but beautiful too!
    Thanks for sharing your binding hint. I love the idea of making twin size quilts for teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beauty. Love your flannel quilt. Have a great time at retreat!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cuddle quilt is gorgeous...and I bet it's cuddly too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I am with you. When is the warm weather going to arrive? How nice to have that beautiful quilt to snuggle under though. Have fun at the retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Lesley,
    what a beautiful finish. Love the pinwheels, great color sensation. Fun to be at a retreat, sewing forever.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!