I am always surprised how little time it actually takes me to quilt a cuddle quilt and this one was no exception. A couple of shifts at the machine and the quilt was ready for binding. I had an "aha" moment when I was attaching the binding. Usually I wrap the binding around my vintage spool and put the spool in an empty waste can on the floor. As I sew the binding on, the binding unravels from the spool in the can. This day I decided to put the spool with my binding right on my cone spool holder. Worked like a charm!
I used a stitch in the ditch design as I didn't want to cover those pretty flower patches, and it left the quilt soft and cuddly on both sides, especially with the flannel backing.
I took this picture a couple of days ago and you can still see a few small mounds of snow in the background. I think today's rain has probably taken them away for good.
The pinwheels were dancing in the wind that day. It was too cold to sit on the swing, but soon, very soon, I hope to be able to sit out there without a flannel quilt to keep me warm!
For the next few days, I will focus on getting my projects ready for the retreat next weekend. I am heading away for the first ever Maritime Modern Quilt Guild Retreat taking place in Truro, Nova Scotia. It is a full weekend retreat, but I am only staying the one night as I have some family plans to follow in Moncton. There will be 26 participants at the retreat, with 19 of us participating in filling swag bags for our fellow quilters. Needless to say, I played around with lots of fabrics in the last few weeks but I'm much too secretive to show my goodies until after the retreat.
I have three quilt projects to go with me, all cut and ready to sew, sew, sew. I know I am bringing way too much, but I sure don't want to run out of things to do! On Saturday afternoon, we will have a Power Hour of sewing blocks for the 2016 charity quilts which are being made for the IWK Children's Hospital in Halifax, NS. The guild has a goal to make twin-sized quilts for teenagers. We are using a very basic pattern, the Square in a Square, with a finished block size of 9". I have been pulling my brightest and boldest fabrics from my stash and have a pretty good start.