Thursday, May 19, 2016

A Blue Schoolhouse Flimsy

I am having a race against time to finish up some projects before mid-June so yesterday it was all about adding borders to my school house quilt. You may remember I showed you some house blocks HERE and some Irish Chain blocks HERE. The inspiration for making a blue schoolhouse quilt came from Edyta Sitar's Blue Barn quilt. I added the Irish Chain blocks for some interest and now it is ready for Ange's quilting

It was really windy yesterday (of course) and the sun was actually so bright it washed out the colours. Hopefully, this picture will still give you a little idea of what it looks like. The flimsy finished at 84" x 94" so should be perfect for a bed quilt! 






The reason time is short for me is that we were cruisin' on the high seas last week with Mickey Mouse and family! What a great time we had. Seas were calm, food was fabulous, and travelling with Woodworker Hubby, DD, SIL, and precious GS was a dream come true! Here is a little proof. Gotta love those blue waters!



Before we went, I made a little blue whale tag toy for GS. I found this free pattern and tutorial at Two More Minutes and used whatever ribbons I could find. I purchased a little baby's rattle of keys and took them apart to add to the tags.



So now it is back to the sewing room. Even with all the fun we had, there may have been just a bit of sewing withdrawal while I was away and Blogland is a distant memory. I chose to remain dis-connected at sea so have lots of reading to do to catch up. It's a great day for quilting! 


19 comments:

  1. Those blues are heavenly - both in the houses AND the seas. It sounds like a wonderfully relaxing trip. Cute little whale too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the quilt! And good for you for disconnecting from the world while you enjoyed family time on the high seas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and Mickey had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt, love the blues. Love cruising. It take me back home, in my mind. The whale is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. House blocks and chains together are a winning combination!
    Sounds like you had a really good cruise experience, and what a precious little whale toy you made for GS! : )
    Welcome back to the real world. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks and sounds like your trip was wonderful! How I love your schoolhouse quilt - the Irish chain is a great addition. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a wonderful way to spend time together. Easy, relaxing and loads of fun.
    Love the whale taggy.
    Your blue quilt looks wonderful. I love the combination of blocks you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blue skies, blue sea and a blue school house quilt...it can't get much better than that, especially when shared with family! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun, Lesley! You deserved it! Am loving your schoolhouse quilt. No doubt Angie will perform her magic, as usual, and it will finish up at the tippety top of the beautiful category! Can't wait to see ALL of your beauties.....soon! If I come early, can I have a quick show and tell? XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your schoolhouse quilt is gorgeous. Your cruise sounds like it was fabulous. How nice to get to spend some time in warmer weather too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off LOVE your house quilt!! It's perfect! Also your cruise sounded fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll take a cruise over quilting any day but man oh man, your quilt is really something else! It's going to look beautiful on a bed. Glad you had a great time with your family and your cute little whale is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A Disney cruise! HOW FUN!!! Love your school house quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely school house quilt Lesley, such a wonderful design.
    Like the little toy, cute idea.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful quilt top and it is always a challenge to hang one outside especially when it is windy! I like seeing it blowing in the wind! Great photo of you Lesley and that must have been a wonderful cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute whale, and so appropriate for a sea cruise. Beautiful flimsy. Doesn't it look great blowing in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the houses and the whale! What a great pic of you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoops I missed this post :-) I love your blue house quilt (top)- the Irish chain is a great setting for the houses. Cruising with your family sounds Perfect!!! PS Very cute whale tag toy, I bet it went down a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!