Sunday, May 1, 2016

Door Quilts - A Year of Welcomes

My mom downsized last year into an apartment complex for seniors. When we helped move her, we couldn't help noticing that the residents took great care to decorate their doors with signs of welcome. As a quilter, I knew what I wanted to do for her, so for the past year I have been gifting her with seasonal hangings for her door. I provided her with a wire hanger so it is easy for her to replace them when the change of seasons or special occasions dictate it.  I just mailed out the flower hanging for her door for Spring and Summer.



Here are pics of the ones that have been sent over the year, in backwards (!) chronological order, starting with April Showers.




St. Pat's Day is always a big occasion to celebrate her Irish ancestry!



Valentine's Day is very special for Mom, with 4 daughters, 4 grandchildren, and 5 great-grandchildren sending lots of love and hugs.



Mom receives lots of snow in her neck of the woods, so this little guy feels right at home. This year he probably could have stayed on her door all the way into May!



You know I love Christmas, especially the Santas, and I may have inherited the spirit from Mom! Year ago, she and Dad operated the first and only "Christmas Shop" in Moncton, New Brunswick, long before seasonal Christmas stores arrived in the malls.



The very first hanging I made for her door was one using Fall colours and little houses. All the hangings are about 12.5" square.



And there you have it...a year of welcomes! 

Today I plan to sew rows of houses and Irish chain blocks together, after I unpick a block that was sewn incorrectly in the second row. I didn't notice it 'till right now...thank goodness I took a picture and it's easy to fix!



 It's a great day for quilting!

31 comments:

  1. What a cute idea to give her quilts for the seasons. Isn't it great to take a pic of your quilt before you get it all put together. Then you notice when you make an error.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Welcome Hangings for your mom are delightful! I'm sure she and her friends love them. The background in April Showers is perfect. Have a wonderful day sewing - so glad you found the little mistake now instead of much later. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea and what cute little quiltlets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom certainly is lucky and I know she appreciates her door quilts very much! My daughter requested seasonal wall hangings a couple of years back and it sure is fun finding new ones to make to add to the collection. Loving your houses! Glad it is an easy fix! They aren't always! Looks like another lovely day on Cape Breton! Although it was pretty frosty when I first got up. Enjoy! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely little gifts for her to help spruce her door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do similiar for several seniors using store bought wreaths but these are cuter. Where do you get your patterns and hangers. Putting these on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, I don;t have an email for you so will reply here.The Santa pattern is a Kathy Schmitz design, the snowman is a Buttermilk Basin,and the spring flowers block is from the cover of Quiltmaker March/April 15. The rest I put together from free patterns I found online and orphan houses in my stash!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful idea to celebrate each month and season for her this way. Each one is stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. I'm sure the other residents, visitors, and workers all enjoy viewing them each month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara, it is easy to see her door as we walk down the hall!

      Delete
  9. These certainly give would give a smile to all walking by or knocking on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! That's the sort of thing I would love on my door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We can tell that you love your mother very much and want only for her happiness. She's a very lucky mother and you are a very gifted, loving daughter. Best wishes to the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comments. Yes, she is pretty special to us!

      Delete
  12. I'll bet your Mom gets a lot of compliments on her door decor. Those are all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely door quilts Lesley, I'm sure all who walk by have a smile on their faces when they see them. What a lovely gift for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet gift for your mom Lesley - I'm sure she adores receiving these each month/season. I wonder if MY mom would enjoy something like this? She still lives in her own home, but does like to decorate....

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea. Love them all.I also like the house blocks, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a lovely idea and such sweet mini quilts to do it with. Your house quilt looks lovely....reverse sewing is annoying x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet your mother loved getting those deliveries of little quilts. Nice idea and sweet quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are a wonderful idea! I've spent quite a bit of time in senior homes and know how important it makes them feel to have something special like this to hang on their doors. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea. A little personalized touch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those are so sweet Lesley and I'm sure your mom loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A wonderful idea. I'll bet your Mom, and the other residents, really enjoy seeing these!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the idea of 'door welcomes'. Mini Quilts that I might actually get quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your door hangers are a wonderful idea. I love the designs you have used. Any visitor would feel very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely gifts Lesley, she must be thrilled. I am doing something similar for my grandaughter - she loves the ones she has already. xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those are all adorable and so perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great idea and I'm sure your mom loves having your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea to decorate your mom's door , it would make you smile when you arrive at the door . She is lucky to have a talented daughter to make these adorable hangings for her .

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the welcomes for the door! Lucky mom!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!