Saturday, June 11, 2016

Cape Breton Lobster, Mint Bars and Whales Find a Home

You know, people will drive a lot of miles for a fresh Cape Breton lobster. I've heard tell of a couple who even drove 2494 miles for one! Meet Ray and Jeanne of Illinois. 


Jeanne blogs at Loving Retirement and I've been following her blog for a few years now. Back in January, we started corresponding about a trip they were planning to Nova Scotia. Of course I suggested they add Cape Breton to their Nova Scotian destination and drop by for lobster. And so they did! 

Lobsters can be a little messy to eat, so I gifted them with some tea towel aprons I made with instructions on how to eat a lobster. They followed the instructions very well. Of course, Woodworker Hubby was there as well to show them the ins and outs of cooking the lobster and cracking all those shells.


Nothing better than two blog friends and their hubbies meeting and having a wonderful afternoon of good company and lobster! Jeanne wrote a wonderful summary of the day with many more pictures. Please visit her HERE and if you do, please say hello for me!

Jeanne presented me with a fabulous quilted tote and matching bag. Her quilting and workmanship is superb. The batik fabrics with those beautiful suns just sing to me and there are pockets galore, inside and out!  


It was so special to then open the zippered pouch and find even more treats, including Wonderclips, a mini-Seam-Fix, flower head pins, collapsible mini-scissors, and "That Purple Thang."  This gal knows how to treat a quilter!


The four of us talked like old friends from start to finish, with hardly a pause in the lively conversation. We miss them already. Safe travels and hugs to our new friends!


The sun finally shone today after about a week of rain and the prediction of more to come tomorrow. So out to the clothesline I went to hang "Mint Bars", a quilt designed by Tammy Silvers. She calls it "Quilt Bars" but how could I not change the name? 


Even the wind cooperated today, so I hung the quilt on a tree we called "The Climbing Tree" as the children were growing up.


I did some straight line stitching for the 50" x 60" cuddle quilt using my free motion foot.  Many thanks to Linda at Scrapmaster for giving me some quilting ideas at the MMQG retreat.  I pieced three greys for the backing. 

  
I added the label and now it is a finish.


Before I go, I wanted to share with you that my little whale quilt has a new owner. Meet Rebecca, a mom-to-be who is the daughter of a dear friend of mine.


Rebecca and her husband were evacuated from the fires in Fort McMurray, Alberta last month and she is staying back home in Nova Scotia to have the baby before she returns. I had been following the Face Book page, Quilts for Fort McMurray, and wanted to participate in some way. When I heard that Rebecca was back home, I knew what I wanted to do. I invited Rebecca and her mom over to choose from one of the baby quilts that I had finished recently.  I was thrilled when she chose the whale quilt. She said it will remind her of Nova Scotia! (Maybe my next baby quilt should have lobsters on it?)

So, as you can see, it has been a very special week and today is a perfect day for quilting!

20 comments:

  1. Special week indeed! How awesome that you were able to spend some time with Jeanne and Ray. And I'm sure that whale quilt will be cherished forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a special week. Meeting you and eating fresh Cape Breton lobster was worth every one of those 2494 miles! We had the best time and so wish we all lived closer to each other. At least we have our aprons so we’ll remember how to eat lobster. I love your Mint Bars – all of your quilts are gorgeous. I’m glad Rebecca chose your whales – it is one of my all-time favorite baby quilts. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Lesley, what a delightful post! I'm glad you had such a nice visit with Ray and Jeanne. I know how much you were looking forward to it! How sweet your whale quilt went to a good home. You are so generous and compassionate. Hope tomorrow is a nice day like today was! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. How delightful to meet a fellow blogger and share such a fabulous time. Rebecca chose well - wonderful little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard tales of the Cape Breton Lobster, of course the only time I was there for work was in January during 2 blizzards in the 3 weeks I was there. What cool gifts and so glad the whale quilt found a home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've warmed my heart. I'm not a bit surprised that you've provided so many with lifelong memories of generosity from your sweet, loving hands and heart. We may not ever be treated to Cape Breton Lobster, but every time I open my wool stash, I see a lovely little bundle of blue and think of you...not to mention those sweet little Christmas panels for Nostalgic Christmas. We need more Cuddly Leslie's in this world.
    I am so thrilled to see that your sweet little whales found the perfect home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you packed a lot of fun into one blog post! I love meeting other bloggers. There's never a quiet moment. As a matter of fact, I would have met you, but you were out of town when we passed through. HOpefully we'll be back some day. So happy that cute whale quilt found a new baby-to-be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My comment is for Jeanne and Ray.

    Lesley "coerced" you into visiting Cape Breton while you were in Nova Scotia and if I had known, I would have extended that invitation to come to the Annapolis Valley region where I presently live. Gorgeous countryside, the heart of apple growing and wine country with lots of history and situated on the Bay of Fundy which has the largest tidal changes in the world. Oh, and not to mention the local scallops and lobster...absolutely to die for!!! I'm happy that you enjoyed your trip and with Lesley and Dave as hosts, you couldn't have made better friends.

    Your gifts are gorgeous and I just know that Lesley will enjoy her bag and other goodies for years to some. As you can see, she is one of the most prolific quilters I know and I'm honored to have her as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you know Lesley well!! lol We spent 6 days in the Annapolis Valley and it was gorgeous! We loved the Bay of Fundy and walked on the ocean floor when we were in Alma, NB. I'm sorry we didn't let you know we were coming. Do you make blueberry desserts as good as Lesley or how about chocolate chip cookies? The sweets were as good as our fresh lobster AND she sent some with us! We love our lobster aprons that Lesley made. Most of all, we enjoyed meeting Lesley and Dave - wonderful new friends! And now we are thoroughly enjoying Cape Breton. ~Jeanne

      Delete
  9. What a nice post! I can feel your heart for others in your words and it makes me want to spread the love, too! Have a wonderful Sunday.
    Do you know the pattern name and designer for the beautiful bag you were gifted? I didn't see the name on Jeanne's blog either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bags are both Jeanne originals. I don't usually use a pattern. ~Jeanne

      Delete
  10. How lovely to meet up with a blogging friend! and what great gifts too. Another great finish with the Mint Bar and how lovely that you whales have found such a worthwhile home. I hope the baby arrives safely. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post. How wonderful to meet blogging friends. Beautiful gifts from Jeanne and your lobster aprons will bring back special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great week it has been. I am so glad the whale quilt found such a great home. Your gifts from Jeanne are perfect and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a happy time you have had lately. So nice to spend time with blogging friends and also so wonderful to have a new home for the whale quilt :-) Mint Bars looks fabulous - love the fresh colours (and yaay for you, a non-windy photo!).

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun way to catch up with and meet a blog friend. My mouth is watering at the thought of lobster.
    I do like the way mint bars has turned out. Lovely colours.
    Great result with your whale quilt. Mother to be looks very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a wonderful ambassador for your home territory; That bag is gorgeous. Mint bars is lovely, but that little whale quilt is the cutest. What a nice way to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to get a passport, save my money, and book some tickets to head your way. I love lobster so your place looks like the best place to go on vacation. Should I plan for a week or maybe two at your house? LOL I love that you got to visit with another bloggy friend...so fun! The bag looks amazing and your mint quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun to make new friends and enjoy each other's company so quickly! Love those aprons, and she really did spoil you - well deserved of course :*). Mint Bars is wonderful!!!! I hope my granddaughter doesn't see your whale quilt, because I will have to make her one if she does :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun post...loved the whales and the bag she gifted you is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!