Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Whales and Stars

I'm still working on my to-do list for the shop decided to take a break from my bigger projects and focus on a few baby quilts. I think my favorite is a little quilt I finished this week.



It is a tiny little quilt, about 32" x 37", so was fast and easy and a delight to sew! I saw the pattern in the book, Fat Quarter Baby of It's Sew Emma patterns. The name of the pattern is "Andrew" and I purchased it from Mrs. Pugsley's Quilt Emporium from Amherst, the vendor that was at the Thistle Guild Quilt Show a few weeks ago. 

It's Sew Emma has a sweet little You Tube video HERE so you can see some of the wonderful patterns in the Fat Quarter Baby book. Each whale and set of bubbles can be made with a fat quarter, so I picked up some cute "bubble" fabrics by Hoffman when I was at The Fabric Cupboard in Moncton recently. 



I found a stitch on my Pfaff Expression 3.5 (stitch 108) that resembled a wave so I played around with the width and length and did some "wave" quilting about 1.5" apart.



My DD tells me she thinks all baby quilts should have flannel on the back, so I followed her suggestion and used a blue pin dot flannel on the back. 



I have to say I think this is one of the cutest baby quilts I have ever made! Thank you It's Sew Emma for such a great design!



I also finished a Star Bright quilt this week, using pinks and greys this time to make it suitable for a girl baby. This is a free pattern by SwimBikeQuilt that works up so quickly. I know, because this is the third time I've made this pattern!


My quilting lines were done with a serpentine stitch, keeping the 40" x 45" quilt nice and cuddly! 






And again, following DD's advice, I used a pink pin dot flannel for the back!


Once these quilts were done, I pulled out my Bar Quilt that I blogged about HERE


I made the sandwich, pinned everything, and am now in the midst of quilting it.


It's a great day for quilting!





28 comments:

  1. Cute quilts! the whales are absolutely adorable.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute quilts. Love the whales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that whale quilt. Your colours are my colours. The star quilt turned out quite nice and I look forward to seeing your bar quilt when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest whale quilt I've seen yet! Maybe I could adapt it and make a dolphin quilt for our Grandbaby coming in October. His/Her Mama & Daddy went swimming with Dolphins while they were in Florida in January.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Whales make such a cute quilt - helped of course by your delightful choice of fabrics :-) Lovely Star and Bar quilts too - it's good to see you ploughing through the quilting, you are getting lots done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did a whale of a job on those quilts and they are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilts are always beautiful. That whale quilt is just too adorable. You chose wonderful colors and the bubbles are so perfect for the design. Lucky babies for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts are gorgeous!! You need the CD to Baby Beluga to go with that quilt...I wish I still owned it but left it in the classroom!! Loved that song! Just in case you don't know it...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDx9zqDpSik

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a very cute little boy quilt! The stitch for the wave was perfect for the quilting - love whwn people use their machines to their fullest. And the pink one is just a sweet and love using the wiggle stitch to quilt baby quilts (I have one on my machine and sometimes I just do it myself) just for that 'cuddle puff' it gives. And she is on to a third quilt - you go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The whale quilt is darling! It is one of the cutest baby quilts I have seen! I used to use flannel on the backs of baby quilts but for some reason stopped. I think I need to go back to it. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cheerful whale quilt. And a flannel back will be so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That whale quilt is the cutest EVER!!! I love it. I agree with the flannel idea. It is perfect for a baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, love that whale quilt! It's adorable! It looks like you've been incredibly busy sewing and quilting. Flannel was always the favorite for me on my kid's quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lesley, I haven't been very good lately at leaving comments, but always enjoy seeing what you're working on. Glad to see you've been doing lots of walking foot quilting! :)
    I LOVE the whale quilt! It would work perfectly for my soon to arrive first grandchild, whose room ( in Ontario) has sort of a Maritime theme... I'm going to do a quilt with sailboats on it, but now thinking he might need a whale quilt too! Is the pattern only in the book, or is it available as a single pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely selection of quilts. Your whale quilt is a delight. Such lovely colours for this design. And your choice of quilting pattern and backing suits it perfectly.
    Your Star Bright is another lovely one with its gorgeous colours.
    I like the look of the Bar quilt that you also now have underway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely great cuddle quilts! I'm impressed with your determination to power through with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love your whale baby quilt! What a great idea and it turned out beautifully!! I'm on my way to check out the YouTube and the Sew Emma patterns now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andrew is lovely - a great design. I like the idea of the wave quilting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilts. Love Andrew, the bubbles just add to the cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look at you go! Lesley, that whale cute has got to be the 'funnest' baby quilt I've seen in a long time! Made purchasing that book worth every penny! XO

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am absolutely in love with that whale quilt--and the stitch you used for the quilting is perfect! I agree about flannel on the back for baby quilts. Not as messy to work with as Minky, but still soft and cuddly.
    You are really churning them out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. All your little quilts are so cute, but especially like the whale one. The colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are amazing , you sure can create some sweet quilts in a short time and the quilting looks fantastic too! I just love the whales !

    ReplyDelete
  24. The whale quilt is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this whale pattern for a baby quilt! If ever I am honoured with grandchildren, I'm making that one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!