Saturday, July 16, 2016

Getting Ready

The Celebrating Quilting at the Causeway Quilt Show and Sale is less than a month away, but with all the things happening between now and  then, I have to get ready sooner than later. The posters arrived from the printers and a PDF was sent my way so here it is. For all my friends who follow my blog, just a reminder that the quilt show/sale is in Port Hastings, Nova Scotia, Canada, so I will understand if you can't make it! 



I have lots of irons in the fire, as they say, to prepare for the show including attaching the binding to this quilt. 




The pattern, Four-Patch Stars, was created by Jenny Doan of the Missouri Star Quilt Company. She has an excellent tutorial HERE. I blogged about the quilt HERE.  It has since arrived back from the quilter, Ange Ross at Quilting on the Mira so it is definitely the time to get that binding attached. 

I also have about 100 hexies all ready to put together in a table runner.  Amanda, a fellow member of the Maritime Modern Quilt Guild, gave us all a package of a hundred 2.5" squares of fabric in the goody bags we received at the retreat held in April. I decided awhile back to turn the squares into hexies. My travelling kit went everywhere with me and now all the squares have been transformed into hexies. 

I am thinking I may make a table runner out of them so I did some auditioning of fabrics for the background using grey as the theme colour. 







My gut feeling is to go with the last one, the fabric that is darker than the first two. I love the bright fabrics in the hexies and they seem to pop more on the darker colour. I will probably make a runner similar to this one that I made last year. I blogged about it HERE.


In addition, I am preparing another Quilt of Valour using combining Northcott's flag fabric and my scrappy flying geese for the centre. Today I am working on putting the centre together and then will build some maple leaf blocks to surround it.


In a perfect world, I would have my latest QOV ready to machine quilt by the start of the show. I plan to set up my machine in the church during the show and when things are quiet, I will do some machine quilting, while the other QOV (blogged about HERE) will be in the hall being quilted by hand. I think it will be interesting for people to see both the traditional and modern method used to finish a quilt. If I'm not ready to quilt it by then, I'll just continue to piece it together at the church.

So as you can see, lots happening in my sewing room. It's a great day for quilting!





18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've really got it together! Good luck following through with those plans! I'm really looking forward to the show this year. I sit and make plans for my day every morning....just for the day....and often never look at the list again until the next morning, when I realize I didn't do one thing to check off the list! But I know you and I know you'll accomplish everything and more! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you share this show - such eye candy. That would be so cool to have the two QOV being quilted at the show - no pressure. As I see your hexies, I see a lot of my own fabric bits. All three greys will work so flip a coin - oh, that is only two picks isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do have a busy schedule! I wish I could come up for your Quilt Show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you qave a great show. Wish we were closer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish your group success of your show; it always looks like a certain hit. Your Jenny Doan quilt is lovely; doesn't she make the best quilt videos? And I like the table runner idea. Hoping your days go by slowly so you have enough time to do your finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, you'd better buckle down and make your husband to all the cooking and cleaning so you get done what you need to get done for your show!!! LOL. I'm looking forward to all your gorgeous pics you will post on the show.
    As for the greys, I'd vote for the first one. Its a softer and less busy grey and will showcase the hexies marvellously!! Happy sewing, Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so wish this show was within my reach!!
    I think you made a good choice for your hexie background. It does bring things to life. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really are busy! I loved your hexie table runner last year and can't wait to see this one. I hope to get back in my sewing room next week - maybe I can be productive. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of fun work on your horizon!!! I plan to visit your lovely country one day, but not quite that soon. I'll have to enjoy it through your posts :*). Love your hexie project! It's hard to tell colors on a screen, but I liked the first gray best ... Maybe it was because of the gorgeous bright hexies adorning it LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do have lots to work on.
    The 4 patch star will be an easy finish with only the binding to go.
    Great work with all the hexies. Love the bright colours there.
    I like your idea of comparing two types of quilting for visitors tot he show.
    Good luck with all your plans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always have wonderful things in the works, or have something finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a few busy weeks ahead of you but kind owing you things will all get done on time and be beautiful. I hope to get down to see the show , it was fantastic last year .

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have lots on your plate there. I love those hexies AND that red and white quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There sure is a lot happening in your sewing room - good to see you keeping our of mischief! Good luck getting ready for the show, you seem focussed so that's a great start :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your choice of background for the hexie runner. Good luck with getting everything done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish I could come to your quilt show, such sweet little hexies

    ReplyDelete
  17. and miles to go before you sleep.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love the table runner....could you tell me the size you made.....I need to figure out how many mini charm packs to buy.....and I have a huge table.....thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!