Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Shopping and Family...All Good!

Just got back from a fabulous trip out West to see DD, SIL, and my very special GS! I spent lots of time cuddling, playing, singing songs, and reading books. Sure brought back the memories.  I arrived home late last night and today am having lots of jet lag and withdrawal issues missing baby and family!

Even though I was there for family time, my DD treated me to a trip to a fabric store, Out of Hand. I found lots of glorious bundles to take home to feed my stash habit. This dotty bundle, Just a Speck, by Jen Kingwell called my name as soon as I saw it! 


Then I spied some neutral bundles. I recently fell in love with Star Crossed, a scrappy quilt by Corey Yoder,  Little Miss Shabby, featured in the April 2016 issue 139 of American Patchwork and Quilting.


I have a line of Ramblin' Rose fabric that I had picked up from The Fabric Cupboard that I will be using for Star Crossed and wanted to use a scrappy approach for the backgrounds. These neutrals fit the bill!


Once I got to the checkout, I went a little crazy. Within arms' reach of the checkout was this wonderful bundle of 30 fat eighths. And what a variety pack it was including Free Spirit Pineapple Slice, Amy Butler, Acadia by Tula Pink, Zen Chic, Alison Glass of Andover Fabrics, Barcelona by Brigitte Heitland and so much more.


This smaller bundle made me smile, including some Mini Pearl Bracelets, Cotton + Steel, Stained Glass, Sun Streaks by Robert Kaufman, and Where the Wind Blows. 


Another of my future wish list quilts will be made of greys, blacks, and whites, so I grabbed this grey and this yummy teal, just because.


Before I headed west, I had ordered some fabrics from Dragonfly Fabrics and they shipped it to my DD for me. It was there when I arrived. I know I now have enough greys in my stash so I guess I better get started on a quilt!



My house quilt arrived while I was away so I took a quick picture this morning in between all the washes I am doing.


I still have to add the binding, but I was very pleased to see the quilting done by Ange of Quilting on the Mira. I still have some tidying up to do but hope to get back into my sewing room soon.

The Artisans Collective Gift Shop in Port Hastings, Nova Scotia at the entrance to Cape Breton opened for the season just before I left on my trip. Here is a shot of some of our group on the day that we brought in our wares. I am on the far right and will be working in the shop on Thursday. If anyone is in the area, please drop by to say hello. I'll take some more pictures then. For the first time ever, our seasonal shop now accepts credit cards and I am hearing that the number of sales has increased, so this is a good thing! 


And do I miss this little guy and his family?  You betcha!


It's a great day for quilting!



18 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for missing that adorable little guy! Love the virtual rainbow of fabrics you picked up while out west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous fabrics Lesley - am looking forward to seeing what you make with the. Lovely quilting on your house quilt. It's great to see family - living away makes time with them very special as I know. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGoodness, he is adorable! I'm sure you are missing him! Your fabrics are gorgeous - can't wait to see the projects. I don't know which bundle would have called me first - they are all scrumptious. Sure wish I could stop by the Artisans Collective Gift Shop on Thursday - I miss your beautiful area. ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandson's a doll. When you go fabric shopping you really shop. What a haul. Love those dots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dots. Wish I had known you were in Calgary, I would have tried to meet up with you. Edmonton is only three hours away or less if the son drives. Cute grandson, I can see why you miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet you DO miss that little bundle of energy. The new fabrics should help the loneliness just a wee bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure know how to enhance the stash!!
    Oh, aren't the grandkids fun? What a cutie. : )
    I sure miss my 1-year-old granddaughter that was here visiting last month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So you flew over Saskatchewan if you went to Out Of Hand, right?? I could've waved to you as you passed by LOL. You need to get sewing on your new fabric...I'll be waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Lesley! You bought so beautiful fabrics....lots and lots! But I know you well and they won't sit for long! When it comes to piecing quilt tops, you have great 'stick-to-it-iveness! Glad you had such a nice visit. Welcome home! Ange did another stellar job of quilting! Your house quilt might go missing the next time I come for a visit! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stash enhancements and your grandson is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an adorable little Grandie! I love your blue house quilt. I think I may need one for myself. Did you get all that fabric in your suitcase, or did you have to ship a box home??

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many great bundles...can't pick a favorite. Oh your grand guy is adorable. Love those blue eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well Lesley, I knew you were a generous soul and you sure proved it by helping out the economy of Alberta with your recent purchase of these gorgeous fabrics . You will have fun stitching those i am sure . I can understand why you are missing your sweet little grandson and I bet he misses you too ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooo, so many beautiful fabrics and a lovely quilted one! Sweet pic of you and that baby. My monkeys are coming to visit tomorrow...so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must be difficult to be separated by such distance from that sweet little guy. Nice that you have lots of fabric to console yourself with lol! I am so in love with those fat 1/8th bundles you bought. Very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so pleased you had a a lovely visit with your family. It is such a special time. And shopping for fabric is always a bonus.
    Your house quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful time you had visiting family and shopping! I love your house quilt - have always liked those, but never made one! The problem is, there are so many quilt designs that I love and not enough time to make them all, right?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a happy post Lesley, it does sound like you enjoyed your time away, with baby and family time plus some shopping time, it sounds wonderful. And you seem really inspired with the projects you have planned :-) Your house quilt is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting me. I enjoy writing about my quilting projects and am so glad that you enjoy reading about them. I will certainly reply if you leave a comment. Thanks again!